Foreman host groups create default network interfaces?

I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to pre-populate more things by the
selection of a host group when creating a new host in Foreman. So far as I
have experienced the Host Groups are only good for settings defaults for
certain attributes of a host. (and puppet stuff, but we dont use any puppet
features of foreman)

Our company has several standard host builds.

I'd like someone to be able to choose one and have foreman create the
interfaces. The user can enter the hostname, ip and mac on their own. I
know I can sort of do this with razor, but I want only the specific NICs
for each server type to be there, and in many cases they are bonded, so
having the ability to create a bonded NIC automatically would be nice.

Right now I am having to set up host groups with parameters specifying what
the layout should be (and a script that gets installed during a build that
calls out to the foreman server and grabs a yaml file that says what the
interface names should be for a given hardware type/os major version
combo) it's hacky and I'd like to find a better way.

Thanks

Bill

Hey,

there is currently not better way of doing this, unfortunately.
Alternatively you can make custom NIC configuration in post
installation and once Puppet reports in, NICs should be created
automatically for inventory purposes.

LZ

··· On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 3:27 PM, Bill Sirinek wrote: > I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to pre-populate more things by the > selection of a host group when creating a new host in Foreman. So far as I > have experienced the Host Groups are only good for settings defaults for > certain attributes of a host. (and puppet stuff, but we dont use any puppet > features of foreman) > > Our company has several standard host builds. > > I'd like someone to be able to choose one and have foreman create the > interfaces. The user can enter the hostname, ip and mac on their own. I > know I can sort of do this with razor, but I want only the specific NICs for > each server type to be there, and in many cases they are bonded, so having > the ability to create a bonded NIC automatically would be nice. > > Right now I am having to set up host groups with parameters specifying what > the layout should be (and a script that gets installed during a build that > calls out to the foreman server and grabs a yaml file that says what the > interface names should be for a given hardware type/os major version combo) > it's hacky and I'd like to find a better way. > > Thanks > > Bill > > > > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "Foreman users" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Later,
Lukas @lzap Zapletal