Foreman-installer broken ? or is it me!

Hi,

I’m trying to install Foreman and create a small POC ENV and evaluate. I’m stuck at the first hurdle …

I have followed the quick-start guide, when I come to run foreman-installer I get an error.

Output of ‘facter fqdn’ is different from ‘hostname -f’

I then run “facter fqdn” to see what its returning, but facter doesn’t exist on my system.

So I try to install facter …

yum install facter

Loaded plugins: langpacks, product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager
Package facter-2.4.1-1.el7.x86_64 is obsoleted by puppet-agent-6.7.2-1.el7.x86_64 which is already installed
Nothing to do

I’ve googled and searched here, not found a hit which probably means I’m being dumb.

I am installing on RHEL 7.6

So it seams that foreman wants facter, but puppet doesn’t see it that way …

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks Barman

Iirc foreman isn’t fully compatible with puppet 6.

But your real issue is most likely with your path. Puppet 4 and up install facter in /opt/puppetlabs/bin and put a profile.d script in place to add that to PATH but it doesn’t kick in until a logout/login.

I’d suggest ONE of the following should fix it up depending on specific circumstances:

-logout and login and ensure you preserve path and profile (if you sudo to root) when you run the installer

• source the profile.d script, verify your path is correct (echo it) and rerun the installer.

Hope that helps!!

1 Like

Thanks fella. login/out picked up the path.

I said I was being dumb !!!

Thanks for the help.

Barman