Foreman/katello with VDC subscription

Problem: how to register foreman server with VDC subscription

I would just like to clarify question if we have VDC subscription and then I configure virt-who on foreman, import manifest with all VDC subscription, register client with activation key, how can I register foreman server which is RHEL 7.7?

Should I just create activation key for foreman server and then register to himself (just blank activation key, only for RHEL), and in case that I would like to upgrade foreman application to higher version I just use foreman repo from internet? So without mirroring foreman repo?

Thanks

Hi,

a self registred Foreman has some up- and downsides to it.
We have the setup exactly as you described. Our Foreman Server is self registred and all OS updates are done via that. In case of Foreman updates, we enable the upstream repositories from the internet and update the application from there. Trying to update Foreman from a Foreman/Katello managed repo has turned out to be a bad idea. We tried that in the past and it caused all kinds of trouble when foreman-installer tried to install additional packages during the upgrade.

If you have further questions, let me know.

Regards

HI,

Thanks for quick response.
If I just run:
subscription-manager register --org=“ORG” --activationkey="activation.key"
on foreman server it will not mess anything in foreman app since foreman server is already visible under Hosts?

what is other solution for that?

Thanks

Regards

Hi,

that should not mess anything up. Foreman and Katello are designed with this in mind and the command looks correct to me.
The other solution would be to register your Foreman server directly with RedHat, but you would have to “sacrifice” a subscription in the RedHat portal for your Foreman server. Plus you would lose the content management features from Katello for your Foreman server.
As far as I’m aware, those are the only options there are.

Regards

Thanks for all

Regards

Hi,

should I also install katello-ca-consumer-latest.noarch.rpm on foreman server?

Thanks

Hi,

we have it installed on our Foreman machine and I would guess it’s necessary since it contains the client certificates for accessing the repos.

Regards