Foreman not publishing MAC address pxelinux files for baremetal pxeboot

Problem: Foreman is not publishing the MAC address files to /var/lib/tftpvboot/pxelinux.cfg for pxebooting.

Expected outcome: Foreman TFTP boot files deployed.

Foreman and Proxy versions: 3.4.1

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

foreman-tasks The goal of this plugin is to unify the way of showing task statuses across the Foreman instance. It defines Task model for keeping the information about the tasks and Lock for assigning the tasks to resources. The locking allows dealing with preventing multiple colliding tasks to be run on the same resource. It also optionally provides Dynflow infrastructure for using it for managing the tasks. Ivan Nečas 7.0.0
foreman_ansible Ansible integration with Foreman Daniel Lobato Garcia 9.0.1
foreman_dhcp_browser Plugin for Foreman to browse and add/edit/delete DHCP leases independent of Foreman’s host creation Ohad Levy 0.0.8
foreman_discovery MaaS Discovery Plugin engine for Foreman Aditi Puntambekar, alongoldboim, Alon Goldboim, amirfefer, Amit Karsale, Amit Upadhye, Amos Benari, Avi Sharvit, Bryan Kearney, bshuster, Daniel Lobato, Daniel Lobato Garcia, Daniel Lobato García, Danny Smit, David Davis, Djebran Lezzoum, Dominic Cleal, Dominik Matoulek, Eric D. Helms, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden, Frank Wall, Greg Sutcliffe, ChairmanTubeAmp, Ido Kanner, imriz, Imri Zvik, Ivan Nečas, Jan Matusz, John Mazzie, Joseph Mitchell Magen, June Zhang, kgaikwad, Lars Berntzon, ldjebran, Leos Stejskal, Lukas Zapletal, Lukáš Zapletal, Marek Hulan, Marek Hulán, MariaAga, Martin Bačovský, Matt Jarvis, Michael Moll, Nick, odovzhenko, Ohad Levy, Ondrej Prazak, Ondřej Ezr, Ori Rabin, orrabin, Partha Aji, Petr Chalupa, Phirince Philip, Rahul Bajaj, Robert Antoni Buj Gelonch, Ron Lavi, Scubafloyd, Sean O'Keeffe, Sebastian Gräßl, Shimon Shtein, Shlomi Zadok, Stephen Benjamin, Swapnil Abnave, Thomas Gelf, Timo Goebel, Tomas Strych, Tom Caspy, Tomer Brisker, and Yann Cézard 21.0.4
foreman_openscap Foreman plug-in for managing security compliance reports slukasik@redhat.com 5.2.2
foreman_remote_execution A plugin bringing remote execution to the Foreman, completing the config management functionality with remote management functionality. Foreman Remote Execution team 8.0.0
katello Katello adds Content and Subscription Management to Foreman. For this it relies on Candlepin and Pulp. N/A 4.6.2.1

Distribution and version:

Other relevant data:
I’m totally new to this and trying to figure out how the provisioning works. I am currently running FreeIPA to manage DNS and I have Foreman acting at the DHCP server for my network. I think I have all off the options and checkboxes set for provisioning a Fedora 39 install. Is there someone out there to help a Foreman neophyte?

Things I would check, when running in the problem:

• Does the smart proxy have the feature TFTP enabled?
  • Is for the subnet a smart proxy with the TFTP feature set?
  • Is a PXELinux (or similar if required) assoziated and selected as default to the operating system of the selected host?
  • Does the template render correctly when showing at the selected host?
  • Does the smart proxy log show the creation of the configuration or any errors, when setting the selected host to build mode?

That was it. I needed to ‘build’ the host. Once I got that, a few fixes with templates and viola! It works.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like