Foreman not seeing/discovering systems on DHCP

Problem:

I’ve installed Foreman 1.18 and configured it to do discovery and manage DHCP. The Foreman server is currently configured as an all-in-one box (Foreman, Puppet, Smart-Proxy). It’s got 2 interfaces - one for provisioning on a dedicated isolated subnet, and one for communication with the rest of our internal network.

I’ve got a standalone switch set up with 3 test servers connected to it. When I boot them, I see they get IPv4 from DHCP, according to /var/lib/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases and looking at the console. Foreman isn’t discovering them or showing any addresses assigned in DHCP.

Expected outcome:

I’d expect to a) see the discovery image booting and reporting facts, but at the very least b) that DHCP/Foreman shows that IP addresses are being assigned.

Foreman and Proxy versions:

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

foreman_discovery - 12.0.0
foreman_dhcp_browser - 0.0.8

Is there anything I’m missing here?

To clarify, you see these test hosts getting DHCP from the Foreman DHCP server, yes?

The next step would be to watch the boot process on one of these hosts:

• does it PXE?
  • does PXE then boot into Discovery?
  • does Discovery attempt register to Foreman?

Presumably one of these steps is breaking, but we’ll need to know which one before we can troubleshoot further…

I actually managed to fix this - turns out I didn’t have Templates or DNS enabled on my smart-proxy. Once I got those up, Discovery ran without issue. Thanks for the response!

1 Like

I think I have the same problem but I don’t know how to turn those things on can you expand this answer with details on the fix please.