Foreman on EC2 and shutting down and restarting instance

Has anyone successfully used the automatic installer on an EC2 instance of
foreman, and been able to stop and restart the instance successfully? I
believe the IP addresss changes everytime.

I have tried it with using an assigned eleastic IP address, and installing
using interactive mode and renaming all the certs to match the IP addresss,
but it failed during installation.

Next I will just try installing without doing interactive, shut it down,
restart it, and see what happens.

If anyone knows how to set up a foreman instance to be shut down and
restarted on amazon, please share.

PS, this is for initial development, and I shut it down to save money. The
M3 small instance, running 100+ gigabytes adds up over a month's time when
it's on all the time.

I THINK that I was installing the ubntu 14.04 version on an ubuntu 12.04
machine. Tried 12.04 on a 12.04 and it installed perfectly.

However, the address that was recorded during installation is an internal
one, so the proxy server and other things may not work upon reboot, where
Amazon assignes a NEW internal IP. So I will have to try howefver the proxy
server, DHCP, DNS, and other parts of the installation before and after a
powerdown and see if they all work.

My hope is that I can just assign the Elastic IP I've rented in the config
files, reboot (any number of times) and it will all be good. IF NOT, then I
probably have to set up all the services for MANUAL start, Then I would
have to start the instance, then ssh into it and start all the services,
probably with a bash script.

Will post here to let people know, and provide a google search record of my
trials and errors.

··· On Thursday, November 27, 2014 9:52:07 AM UTC-8, Dennis Gearon wrote: > > Has anyone successfully used the automatic installer on an EC2 instance of > foreman, and been able to stop and restart the instance successfully? I > believe the IP addresss changes everytime. > > I have tried it with using an assigned eleastic IP address, and installing > using interactive mode and renaming all the certs to match the IP addresss, > but it failed during installation. > > Next I will just try installing without doing interactive, shut it down, > restart it, and see what happens. > > If anyone knows how to set up a foreman instance to be shut down and > restarted on amazon, please share. > > PS, this is for initial development, and I shut it down to save money. The > M3 small instance, running 100+ gigabytes adds up over a month's time when > it's on all the time. >

OK, I started from scratch with an EC2 ubuntu ami version 14.04 and then
did a foreman trusty install and it worked. Now I will play with shutting
it down and restarting it and see what happens.

··· On Sunday, November 30, 2014 9:17:06 PM UTC-8, Dennis Gearon wrote: > > I THINK that I was installing the ubntu 14.04 version on an ubuntu 12.04 > machine. Tried 12.04 on a 12.04 and it installed perfectly. > > However, the address that was recorded during installation is an internal > one, so the proxy server and other things may not work upon reboot, where > Amazon assignes a NEW internal IP. So I will have to try howefver the proxy > server, DHCP, DNS, and other parts of the installation before and after a > powerdown and see if they all work. > > My hope is that I can just assign the Elastic IP I've rented in the config > files, reboot (any number of times) and it will all be good. IF NOT, then I > probably have to set up all the services for MANUAL start, Then I would > have to start the instance, then ssh into it and start all the services, > probably with a bash script. > > Will post here to let people know, and provide a google search record of > my trials and errors. > > On Thursday, November 27, 2014 9:52:07 AM UTC-8, Dennis Gearon wrote: >> >> Has anyone successfully used the automatic installer on an EC2 instance >> of foreman, and been able to stop and restart the instance successfully? I >> believe the IP addresss changes everytime. >> >> I have tried it with using an assigned eleastic IP address, and >> installing using interactive mode and renaming all the certs to match the >> IP addresss, but it failed during installation. >> >> Next I will just try installing without doing interactive, shut it down, >> restart it, and see what happens. >> >> If anyone knows how to set up a foreman instance to be shut down and >> restarted on amazon, please share. >> >> PS, this is for initial development, and I shut it down to save money. >> The M3 small instance, running 100+ gigabytes adds up over a month's time >> when it's on all the time. >> >

As this article
<https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-foreman-to-manage-puppet-nodes-on-ubuntu-14-04>,
and others linked in it describe, there are a few preparations that are
needed before installing 'TheForeman'. Mostly these are setting hosts and
FQDN(fully qualified domain name) in 'hostname'. I will do these and see if
it helps theforeman actually do what it needs to do.

··· On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 5:09:38 PM UTC-8, Dennis Gearon wrote: > > OK, I started from scratch with an EC2 ubuntu ami version 14.04 and then > did a foreman trusty install and it worked. Now I will play with shutting > it down and restarting it and see what happens. > > On Sunday, November 30, 2014 9:17:06 PM UTC-8, Dennis Gearon wrote: >> >> I THINK that I was installing the ubntu 14.04 version on an ubuntu 12.04 >> machine. Tried 12.04 on a 12.04 and it installed perfectly. >> >> However, the address that was recorded during installation is an internal >> one, so the proxy server and other things may not work upon reboot, where >> Amazon assignes a NEW internal IP. So I will have to try howefver the proxy >> server, DHCP, DNS, and other parts of the installation before and after a >> powerdown and see if they all work. >> >> My hope is that I can just assign the Elastic IP I've rented in the >> config files, reboot (any number of times) and it will all be good. IF NOT, >> then I probably have to set up all the services for MANUAL start, Then I >> would have to start the instance, then ssh into it and start all the >> services, probably with a bash script. >> >> Will post here to let people know, and provide a google search record of >> my trials and errors. >> >> On Thursday, November 27, 2014 9:52:07 AM UTC-8, Dennis Gearon wrote: >>> >>> Has anyone successfully used the automatic installer on an EC2 instance >>> of foreman, and been able to stop and restart the instance successfully? I >>> believe the IP addresss changes everytime. >>> >>> I have tried it with using an assigned eleastic IP address, and >>> installing using interactive mode and renaming all the certs to match the >>> IP addresss, but it failed during installation. >>> >>> Next I will just try installing without doing interactive, shut it down, >>> restart it, and see what happens. >>> >>> If anyone knows how to set up a foreman instance to be shut down and >>> restarted on amazon, please share. >>> >>> PS, this is for initial development, and I shut it down to save money. >>> The M3 small instance, running 100+ gigabytes adds up over a month's time >>> when it's on all the time. >>> >>