Foreman-proxy-certs-generate uses wrong server certificate in certs-tar-file

Problem:
I am not sure if I miss something here, or if there is a mixup in the parameters I am using.

I have a single foreman server foreman.local.lan (katello scenario) and want to add a second smart proxy smartproxy.local.lan. Before that, I replaced the foreman/katello SSL certificates for foreman.local.lan with a certificate from an external CA. All worked perfectly.

Now I generated a new private key/certificate for the new proxy and placed both files on the Forman server:

foreman:
/root/smartproxy.key
/root/smartproxy.crt
/root/ca.crt

The subject name (and also the SAN) of the smartproxy.crt is set to smartproxy.local.lan.

I run the following command:
katello-certs-check -t foreman-proxy -c smartproxy.crt -k smartproxy.key -b ca.crt
and all checks out “Validation succeeded”.

At the end of this run I get the command to run inside of the new smartproxy:

To use them inside a NEW $FOREMAN_PROXY, run this command:

foreman-proxy-certs-generate --foreman-proxy-fqdn "$FOREMAN_PROXY" \
                                   --certs-tar  "~/$FOREMAN_PROXY-certs.tar" \
                                   --server-cert "/root/smartproxy.crt" \
                                   --server-key "/root/smartproxy.key" \
                                   --server-ca-cert "/root/ca.crt" \

So I ran the aforementioned command, replacing $FOREMAN_PROXY with smartproxy.local.lan on the foreman host. I received the certs.tar file, which I copied to smartproxy.local.lan.

On smartproxy.local.lan I ran the foreman-installer as the certs-generate command told me:

foreman-installer \
                    --scenario foreman-proxy-content \
                    --certs-tar-file                              "/root/smartproxy.local.lan-certs.tar"\
                    --foreman-proxy-content-parent-fqdn           "foreman.local.lan"\
                    --foreman-proxy-register-in-foreman           "true"\
                    --foreman-proxy-foreman-base-url              "https://foreman.local.lan"\
                    --foreman-proxy-trusted-hosts                 "foreman.local.lan"\
                    --foreman-proxy-trusted-hosts                 "smartproxy.local.lan"\
                    --foreman-proxy-oauth-consumer-key            "xxx"\
                    --foreman-proxy-oauth-consumer-secret         "yyy"\
                    --puppet-server-foreman-url                   "https://foreman.local.lan"

The installation seems to succeed, but reports this error:
[ERROR 2020-11-18T20:28:27 main] Proxy smartproxy.local.lan cannot be registered: Unable to communicate with the proxy: ERF12-2530 [ProxyAPI::ProxyException]: Unable to detect features ([Errno::EHOSTUNREACH]: Failed to open TCP connection to smartproxy.local.lan:9090 (No route to host - connect(2) for "smartproxy.local.lan" port 9090)) for proxy https://smartproxy.local.lan:9090/v2/features Please check the proxy is configured and running on the host.

After some web searching I found out, that this error is usually caused by invalid certificates, so I went to check. Found all the certs installed by the certs-tar’s rpm inside of the directory /etc/pki/katello-certs-tools/certs/ and checked each.
All are correct, except the one smartproxy.local.lan-apache.crt
When opened in openssl it shows the subject as: foreman.local.lan, which is clearly false. Therefore a quick test with openssl:
openssl s_client -connect smartproxy.local.lan:9090
returned the wrong certificate, having the subject foreman.local.lan

Expected outcome:
The certificate file smartproxy.local.lan-apache.crt inside of the certs-tar should be taken from the –server-cert parameter of the foreman-proxy-certs-generate call.

Foreman and Proxy versions:
Foreman 2.2.1
Katello 3.17

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:
Puppet 6

Distribution and version:
CentOS 7.9

Other relevant data:

Try regenerating the certificate bundle for the smart proxy passing the regenerate flag:

foreman-proxy-certs-generate --foreman-proxy-fqdn "$FOREMAN_PROXY" \
                                   --certs-tar  "~/$FOREMAN_PROXY-certs.tar" \
                                   --server-cert "/root/smartproxy.crt" \
                                   --server-key "/root/smartproxy.key" \
                                   --server-ca-cert "/root/ca.crt" \
                                   --certs-regenerate

If you had generated the certificate bundle for that smart-proxy previously, there is a bug where it will not regenerate it everytime (this is fixed in 3.18 – Bug #31234: Users have to delete ssl-build/<capsule> directory and regenerate the certificates to add a cname in capsule certificates - Installer - Foreman). See the attached patch if you’d like to have it set to always do this from here on out until you get to 3.18.

Thats interesting, thank you for the tip. Of course I tried it multiple times, so that might just be it. I will post the results.

Thanks again Eric, you were spot on. The parameter –certs-regenerate does not work (its not implemented in release 3.17), however, manually deleting the sub directory smartproxy.local.lan under /root/ssl-build and re-running the command to generate the certs.tar file worked perfectly.