Foreman with Katello using External DNS (Windows Server)

Problem:
I cannot find in any of the documentation where it is possible to use a Windows Server as the external DNS server. I did some brief searching through the community posts, but couldn’t find a comprehensive guide on this. The documentation - both in stable and nightly builds - only give instruction for implementing an existing Linux DNS server.

Expected outcome:
Is anyone able to either assist or point me in the right direction regarding this setup? I’ve already completed the installation and followed the steps for section 4.5 Disabling DNS, DHCP, and TFTP for Unmanaged Networks to ensure Foreman is not trying to issue out anything improperly.

Foreman and Proxy versions:
Version 3.3.0-develop
If I need to remove this version and instead install the 3.2 stable build, that won’t be a problem at all. Just looking for any sort of assistance/guidance with this endeavor.

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

Distribution and version:

Other relevant data:
Including the following words as tags since they weren’t able to be selected in the tags section:
DNS, External DNS, Windows Server, existing network

Is your Foreman server joined to a domain?

Thank you for the quick response. Yes, it is.

At the bottom of your network configuration file (i.e: /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ens-xxx), put the IP addresses of your domain controllers, as seen below. Do the same with every Linux client. That should be all you need. Our domain controllers use our campus DNS servers as forwarders.

DNS1=10.x.x.x
DNS2=10.x.x.x
DNS3=10.x.x.x
1 Like

Sure enough I already have that configured as it should be. Had no idea that’s all it took. Thank you kindly. I’ll go ahead and mark this as the solution for now in case someone else needs this info. Have a terrific day.