Having a really tough time getting BMC + Dell iDRAC to work

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to get BMC to work with iDRAC for a while now. I'm
runing foreman on CentOS 6.6 and it's the Foreman 1.7.1 release. I have
confirmed that IPMI is working by using the Dell BMC Windows utilities.
However am unable to do anything with Foreman. Where should I start
tracking this down? I have an interface configured in the network section
of one of my R720's with with correct interface details ie ip, dns name,
iDRAC username and password. I have also configured the smart proxy to use
ipmitool. When I go to the BMC tab of my host it tries to load power info
but fails with this error:

Failure: undefined method `downcase' for nil:NilClass

Any help would greatly be appreciated,
Justin

Can you supply your smart proxy settings with regards to bmc? Also which
version of rubyipmi are you using?

Also run the command: ipmitool lan print and send the output with your
ip/mac obscured.

Corey

··· On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 12:26:43 PM UTC-8, justin parker wrote: > > Hello everyone, > > I have been trying to get BMC to work with iDRAC for a while now. I'm > runing foreman on CentOS 6.6 and it's the Foreman 1.7.1 release. I have > confirmed that IPMI is working by using the Dell BMC Windows utilities. > However am unable to do anything with Foreman. Where should I start > tracking this down? I have an interface configured in the network section > of one of my R720's with with correct interface details ie ip, dns name, > iDRAC username and password. I have also configured the smart proxy to use > ipmitool. When I go to the BMC tab of my host it tries to load power info > but fails with this error: > > Failure: undefined method `downcase' for nil:NilClass > > > Any help would greatly be appreciated, > Justin >

Thanks so much for your reply!

My bmc.yml:

BMC management (Bare metal power and bios controls)

:enabled: true

Available providers:

- freeipmi / ipmitool - requires the appropriate package installed, and

the rubyipmi gem

- shell - for local reboot control (requires sudo access to

/sbin/shutdown for the proxy user)
:bmc_default_provider: ipmitool

rubyipmi version is:
rubyipmi 0.8.1

Output of ipmitool:
On the box that foreman and the foreman-proxy are running on which is an
ESXi vm:
Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No
such file or directory

Since I got the error on the vm I configured a phsical box and got this
which looks a lot better. Although it still doesn't work.

Set in Progress : Set Complete
Auth Type Support : NONE MD2 MD5 PASSWORD
Auth Type Enable : Callback : MD2 MD5
: User : MD2 MD5
: Operator : MD2 MD5
: Admin : MD2 MD5
: OEM :
IP Address Source : Static Address
IP Address :
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
MAC Address : 5c:f9:dd:f6:75:10
SNMP Community String : public
IP Header : TTL=0x40 Flags=0x40 Precedence=0x00 TOS=0x10
BMC ARP Control : ARP Responses Enabled, Gratuitous ARP Disabled
Gratituous ARP Intrvl : 2.0 seconds
Default Gateway IP :
Default Gateway MAC : 00:00:00:00:00:00
Backup Gateway IP : 0.0.0.0
Backup Gateway MAC : 00:00:00:00:00:00
802.1q VLAN ID : 5
802.1q VLAN Priority : 0
RMCP+ Cipher Suites : 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,
Cipher Suite Priv Max : Xaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
: X=Cipher Suite Unused
: c=CALLBACK
: u=USER
: o=OPERATOR
: a=ADMIN
: O=OEM

It didn't even occur to me that ipmi wouldn't work in a vm. Is this the
norm?

Thanks so much for your help!
Justin

··· On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 5:33:57 PM UTC-5, Corey Osman wrote: > > Can you supply your smart proxy settings with regards to bmc? Also which > version of rubyipmi are you using? > > Also run the command: ipmitool lan print and send the output with your > ip/mac obscured. > > > Corey > > On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 12:26:43 PM UTC-8, justin parker wrote: >> >> Hello everyone, >> >> I have been trying to get BMC to work with iDRAC for a while now. I'm >> runing foreman on CentOS 6.6 and it's the Foreman 1.7.1 release. I have >> confirmed that IPMI is working by using the Dell BMC Windows utilities. >> However am unable to do anything with Foreman. Where should I start >> tracking this down? I have an interface configured in the network section >> of one of my R720's with with correct interface details ie ip, dns name, >> iDRAC username and password. I have also configured the smart proxy to use >> ipmitool. When I go to the BMC tab of my host it tries to load power info >> but fails with this error: >> >> Failure: undefined method `downcase' for nil:NilClass >> >> >> Any help would greatly be appreciated, >> Justin >> >

I neglected to add that all power functions work if I run the Dell ipmi
utilities in a Windows vm. My worst nightmare!

··· On Friday, February 6, 2015 at 10:52:00 AM UTC-5, justin parker wrote: > > Thanks so much for your reply! > > My bmc.yml: > # BMC management (Bare metal power and bios controls) > :enabled: true > # Available providers: > # - freeipmi / ipmitool - requires the appropriate package installed, and > the rubyipmi gem > # - shell - for local reboot control (requires sudo access to > /sbin/shutdown for the proxy user) > :bmc_default_provider: ipmitool > > rubyipmi version is: > rubyipmi 0.8.1 > > Output of ipmitool: > On the box that foreman and the foreman-proxy are running on which is an > ESXi vm: > Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No > such file or directory > > Since I got the error on the vm I configured a phsical box and got this > which looks a lot better. Although it still doesn't work. > > Set in Progress : Set Complete > Auth Type Support : NONE MD2 MD5 PASSWORD > Auth Type Enable : Callback : MD2 MD5 > : User : MD2 MD5 > : Operator : MD2 MD5 > : Admin : MD2 MD5 > : OEM : > IP Address Source : Static Address > IP Address : > Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0 > MAC Address : 5c:f9:dd:f6:75:10 > SNMP Community String : public > IP Header : TTL=0x40 Flags=0x40 Precedence=0x00 TOS=0x10 > BMC ARP Control : ARP Responses Enabled, Gratuitous ARP Disabled > Gratituous ARP Intrvl : 2.0 seconds > Default Gateway IP : > Default Gateway MAC : 00:00:00:00:00:00 > Backup Gateway IP : 0.0.0.0 > Backup Gateway MAC : 00:00:00:00:00:00 > 802.1q VLAN ID : 5 > 802.1q VLAN Priority : 0 > RMCP+ Cipher Suites : 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12, > 13,14 > Cipher Suite Priv Max : Xaaaaaaaaaaaaaa > : X=Cipher Suite Unused > : c=CALLBACK > : u=USER > : o=OPERATOR > : a=ADMIN > : O=OEM > > It didn't even occur to me that ipmi wouldn't work in a vm. Is this the > norm? > > Thanks so much for your help! > Justin > > > On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 5:33:57 PM UTC-5, Corey Osman wrote: >> >> Can you supply your smart proxy settings with regards to bmc? Also which >> version of rubyipmi are you using? >> >> Also run the command: ipmitool lan print and send the output with your >> ip/mac obscured. >> >> >> Corey >> >> On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 12:26:43 PM UTC-8, justin parker wrote: >>> >>> Hello everyone, >>> >>> I have been trying to get BMC to work with iDRAC for a while now. I'm >>> runing foreman on CentOS 6.6 and it's the Foreman 1.7.1 release. I have >>> confirmed that IPMI is working by using the Dell BMC Windows utilities. >>> However am unable to do anything with Foreman. Where should I start >>> tracking this down? I have an interface configured in the network section >>> of one of my R720's with with correct interface details ie ip, dns name, >>> iDRAC username and password. I have also configured the smart proxy to use >>> ipmitool. When I go to the BMC tab of my host it tries to load power info >>> but fails with this error: >>> >>> Failure: undefined method `downcase' for nil:NilClass >>> >>> >>> Any help would greatly be appreciated, >>> Justin >>> >>
  1. IPMI commands only work on a physical host because virtual machines
    don't need a device since they are already controlled via software.
  2. The no such file or directory /dev/ipmidev/0 error is complaining
    because it cannot find the openipmi driver. And even if the driver was
    installed it still will not show up on vm.
  3. ipmitool/freeipmi can be used to control remote physical hardware. So
    you don't need to be on the host to enter the command. You do however need
    to supply the hostname, username, and password to connect to the remote BMC
    device. The ipmitool can be used on vm to control remote devices it just
    can't control the vm that it is on. (see #2)
  4. Rubyipmi is a wrapper around ipmitool and freeipmi in order to allow us
    to programmatically make ipmi calls. You can use rubyipmi by itself if you
    like ruby.
  5. Smart-proxy uses Rubyipmi to run the ipmi commands and then exposes a
    subset of the commands via a HTTP REST API that you can use by itself or
    via foreman. This is known as the bmc module However, foreman is only
    using a really small subset of the bmc module.

As far as the downcase issue. That might be a bug in rubyipmi that you
would need to report https://www.github.com/logicminds/rubyipmi. Open up a
ticket with rubyipmi and we can probably get to the bottom of this issue.
Since hardware manufactors don't all abide to the IPMI standard there are
often one-off cases that must be worked around with special data
manipulation and error handling. Once you file an issue with rubyipmi I
can probably mock up a quick test with the provided output of ipmitool lan
print and find the bug.

Corey

··· On Friday, February 6, 2015 at 7:52:00 AM UTC-8, justin parker wrote: > > Thanks so much for your reply! > > My bmc.yml: > # BMC management (Bare metal power and bios controls) > :enabled: true > # Available providers: > # - freeipmi / ipmitool - requires the appropriate package installed, and > the rubyipmi gem > # - shell - for local reboot control (requires sudo access to > /sbin/shutdown for the proxy user) > :bmc_default_provider: ipmitool > > rubyipmi version is: > rubyipmi 0.8.1 > > Output of ipmitool: > On the box that foreman and the foreman-proxy are running on which is an > ESXi vm: > Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No > such file or directory > > Since I got the error on the vm I configured a phsical box and got this > which looks a lot better. Although it still doesn't work. > > Set in Progress : Set Complete > Auth Type Support : NONE MD2 MD5 PASSWORD > Auth Type Enable : Callback : MD2 MD5 > : User : MD2 MD5 > : Operator : MD2 MD5 > : Admin : MD2 MD5 > : OEM : > IP Address Source : Static Address > IP Address : > Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0 > MAC Address : 5c:f9:dd:f6:75:10 > SNMP Community String : public > IP Header : TTL=0x40 Flags=0x40 Precedence=0x00 TOS=0x10 > BMC ARP Control : ARP Responses Enabled, Gratuitous ARP Disabled > Gratituous ARP Intrvl : 2.0 seconds > Default Gateway IP : > Default Gateway MAC : 00:00:00:00:00:00 > Backup Gateway IP : 0.0.0.0 > Backup Gateway MAC : 00:00:00:00:00:00 > 802.1q VLAN ID : 5 > 802.1q VLAN Priority : 0 > RMCP+ Cipher Suites : 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12, > 13,14 > Cipher Suite Priv Max : Xaaaaaaaaaaaaaa > : X=Cipher Suite Unused > : c=CALLBACK > : u=USER > : o=OPERATOR > : a=ADMIN > : O=OEM > > It didn't even occur to me that ipmi wouldn't work in a vm. Is this the > norm? > > Thanks so much for your help! > Justin > > > On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 5:33:57 PM UTC-5, Corey Osman wrote: >> >> Can you supply your smart proxy settings with regards to bmc? Also which >> version of rubyipmi are you using? >> >> Also run the command: ipmitool lan print and send the output with your >> ip/mac obscured. >> >> >> Corey >> >> On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 12:26:43 PM UTC-8, justin parker wrote: >>> >>> Hello everyone, >>> >>> I have been trying to get BMC to work with iDRAC for a while now. I'm >>> runing foreman on CentOS 6.6 and it's the Foreman 1.7.1 release. I have >>> confirmed that IPMI is working by using the Dell BMC Windows utilities. >>> However am unable to do anything with Foreman. Where should I start >>> tracking this down? I have an interface configured in the network section >>> of one of my R720's with with correct interface details ie ip, dns name, >>> iDRAC username and password. I have also configured the smart proxy to use >>> ipmitool. When I go to the BMC tab of my host it tries to load power info >>> but fails with this error: >>> >>> Failure: undefined method `downcase' for nil:NilClass >>> >>> >>> Any help would greatly be appreciated, >>> Justin >>> >>

I got this working recently on some Dell M610 blades. I used freeipmi and
had to set the ipmi user on the target host to have specific permissions.

On the target host:

[root@xen2-test ~]# ipmitool user list 1
ID Name Callin Link Auth IPMI Msg Channel Priv Limit
1 false false true NO ACCESS
2 root false false true ADMINISTRATOR
[root@xen2-test ~]# ipmitool channel setaccess 1 2 callin=on ipmi=on link=on privilege=4
[root@xen2-test ~]# ipmitool user list 1
ID Name Callin Link Auth IPMI Msg Channel Priv Limit
1 false false true NO ACCESS
2 root true true true ADMINISTRATOR

On the remote host (can be a vm):

$ ipmipower -h 10.19.3.159 -u root -P -c

Password:

10.19.3.159: ok
Hope this helps. I believe the foreman smart proxy could run on this remote
host and execute the ipmipower command for you. I d

··· On Friday, February 6, 2015 at 8:00:44 AM UTC-8, justin parker wrote: > > I neglected to add that all power functions work if I run the Dell ipmi > utilities in a Windows vm. My worst nightmare! > > On Friday, February 6, 2015 at 10:52:00 AM UTC-5, justin parker wrote: >> >> Thanks so much for your reply! >> >> My bmc.yml: >> # BMC management (Bare metal power and bios controls) >> :enabled: true >> # Available providers: >> # - freeipmi / ipmitool - requires the appropriate package installed, and >> the rubyipmi gem >> # - shell - for local reboot control (requires sudo access to >> /sbin/shutdown for the proxy user) >> :bmc_default_provider: ipmitool >> >> rubyipmi version is: >> rubyipmi 0.8.1 >> >> Output of ipmitool: >> On the box that foreman and the foreman-proxy are running on which is an >> ESXi vm: >> Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No >> such file or directory >> >> Since I got the error on the vm I configured a phsical box and got this >> which looks a lot better. Although it still doesn't work. >> >> Set in Progress : Set Complete >> Auth Type Support : NONE MD2 MD5 PASSWORD >> Auth Type Enable : Callback : MD2 MD5 >> : User : MD2 MD5 >> : Operator : MD2 MD5 >> : Admin : MD2 MD5 >> : OEM : >> IP Address Source : Static Address >> IP Address : >> Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0 >> MAC Address : 5c:f9:dd:f6:75:10 >> SNMP Community String : public >> IP Header : TTL=0x40 Flags=0x40 Precedence=0x00 TOS=0x10 >> BMC ARP Control : ARP Responses Enabled, Gratuitous ARP Disabled >> Gratituous ARP Intrvl : 2.0 seconds >> Default Gateway IP : >> Default Gateway MAC : 00:00:00:00:00:00 >> Backup Gateway IP : 0.0.0.0 >> Backup Gateway MAC : 00:00:00:00:00:00 >> 802.1q VLAN ID : 5 >> 802.1q VLAN Priority : 0 >> RMCP+ Cipher Suites : 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12, >> 13,14 >> Cipher Suite Priv Max : Xaaaaaaaaaaaaaa >> : X=Cipher Suite Unused >> : c=CALLBACK >> : u=USER >> : o=OPERATOR >> : a=ADMIN >> : O=OEM >> >> It didn't even occur to me that ipmi wouldn't work in a vm. Is this the >> norm? >> >> Thanks so much for your help! >> Justin >> >> >> On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 5:33:57 PM UTC-5, Corey Osman wrote: >>> >>> Can you supply your smart proxy settings with regards to bmc? Also >>> which version of rubyipmi are you using? >>> >>> Also run the command: ipmitool lan print and send the output with your >>> ip/mac obscured. >>> >>> >>> Corey >>> >>> On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 12:26:43 PM UTC-8, justin parker wrote: >>>> >>>> Hello everyone, >>>> >>>> I have been trying to get BMC to work with iDRAC for a while now. I'm >>>> runing foreman on CentOS 6.6 and it's the Foreman 1.7.1 release. I have >>>> confirmed that IPMI is working by using the Dell BMC Windows utilities. >>>> However am unable to do anything with Foreman. Where should I start >>>> tracking this down? I have an interface configured in the network section >>>> of one of my R720's with with correct interface details ie ip, dns name, >>>> iDRAC username and password. I have also configured the smart proxy to use >>>> ipmitool. When I go to the BMC tab of my host it tries to load power info >>>> but fails with this error: >>>> >>>> Failure: undefined method `downcase' for nil:NilClass >>>> >>>> >>>> Any help would greatly be appreciated, >>>> Justin >>>> >>>

Ok thanks for your help guys! I am now able to reboot my boxes via
freeipmi. I had to explicitly state the driver as lan_2_0 so I am
utilizing the freeipmi.conf file for that and things are working pretty
well. However, there seems to be a disconnect between Foreman/ruby-ipmi
because it won't report the proper power state and power cycle options
aren't working.

The command I'm using is:

ipmipower <bmc_hostname> --stat
ipmipower <bmc_hostname> --cycle

Can ruby-ipmi use these commands? Should I start asking questions in the
ruby-ipmi forum?

Thanks,
Justin

··· On Friday, February 6, 2015 at 3:53:29 PM UTC-5, Corey Osman wrote: > > 1. IPMI commands only work on a physical host because virtual machines > don't need a device since they are already controlled via software. > 2. The no such file or directory /dev/ipmidev/0 error is complaining > because it cannot find the openipmi driver. And even if the driver was > installed it still will not show up on vm. > 3. ipmitool/freeipmi can be used to control remote physical hardware. So > you don't need to be on the host to enter the command. You do however need > to supply the hostname, username, and password to connect to the remote BMC > device. The ipmitool can be used on vm to control remote devices it just > can't control the vm that it is on. (see #2) > 4. Rubyipmi is a wrapper around ipmitool and freeipmi in order to allow > us to programmatically make ipmi calls. You can use rubyipmi by itself if > you like ruby. > 5. Smart-proxy uses Rubyipmi to run the ipmi commands and then exposes a > subset of the commands via a HTTP REST API that you can use by itself or > via foreman. This is known as the bmc module However, foreman is only > using a really small subset of the bmc module. > > > As far as the downcase issue. That might be a bug in rubyipmi that you > would need to report https://www.github.com/logicminds/rubyipmi. Open up > a ticket with rubyipmi and we can probably get to the bottom of this issue. > Since hardware manufactors don't all abide to the IPMI standard there are > often one-off cases that must be worked around with special data > manipulation and error handling. Once you file an issue with rubyipmi I > can probably mock up a quick test with the provided output of ipmitool lan > print and find the bug. > > > Corey > > > > On Friday, February 6, 2015 at 7:52:00 AM UTC-8, justin parker wrote: >> >> Thanks so much for your reply! >> >> My bmc.yml: >> # BMC management (Bare metal power and bios controls) >> :enabled: true >> # Available providers: >> # - freeipmi / ipmitool - requires the appropriate package installed, and >> the rubyipmi gem >> # - shell - for local reboot control (requires sudo access to >> /sbin/shutdown for the proxy user) >> :bmc_default_provider: ipmitool >> >> rubyipmi version is: >> rubyipmi 0.8.1 >> >> Output of ipmitool: >> On the box that foreman and the foreman-proxy are running on which is an >> ESXi vm: >> Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No >> such file or directory >> >> Since I got the error on the vm I configured a phsical box and got this >> which looks a lot better. Although it still doesn't work. >> >> Set in Progress : Set Complete >> Auth Type Support : NONE MD2 MD5 PASSWORD >> Auth Type Enable : Callback : MD2 MD5 >> : User : MD2 MD5 >> : Operator : MD2 MD5 >> : Admin : MD2 MD5 >> : OEM : >> IP Address Source : Static Address >> IP Address : >> Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0 >> MAC Address : 5c:f9:dd:f6:75:10 >> SNMP Community String : public >> IP Header : TTL=0x40 Flags=0x40 Precedence=0x00 TOS=0x10 >> BMC ARP Control : ARP Responses Enabled, Gratuitous ARP Disabled >> Gratituous ARP Intrvl : 2.0 seconds >> Default Gateway IP : >> Default Gateway MAC : 00:00:00:00:00:00 >> Backup Gateway IP : 0.0.0.0 >> Backup Gateway MAC : 00:00:00:00:00:00 >> 802.1q VLAN ID : 5 >> 802.1q VLAN Priority : 0 >> RMCP+ Cipher Suites : 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12, >> 13,14 >> Cipher Suite Priv Max : Xaaaaaaaaaaaaaa >> : X=Cipher Suite Unused >> : c=CALLBACK >> : u=USER >> : o=OPERATOR >> : a=ADMIN >> : O=OEM >> >> It didn't even occur to me that ipmi wouldn't work in a vm. Is this the >> norm? >> >> Thanks so much for your help! >> Justin >> >> >> On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 5:33:57 PM UTC-5, Corey Osman wrote: >>> >>> Can you supply your smart proxy settings with regards to bmc? Also >>> which version of rubyipmi are you using? >>> >>> Also run the command: ipmitool lan print and send the output with your >>> ip/mac obscured. >>> >>> >>> Corey >>> >>> On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 12:26:43 PM UTC-8, justin parker wrote: >>>> >>>> Hello everyone, >>>> >>>> I have been trying to get BMC to work with iDRAC for a while now. I'm >>>> runing foreman on CentOS 6.6 and it's the Foreman 1.7.1 release. I have >>>> confirmed that IPMI is working by using the Dell BMC Windows utilities. >>>> However am unable to do anything with Foreman. Where should I start >>>> tracking this down? I have an interface configured in the network section >>>> of one of my R720's with with correct interface details ie ip, dns name, >>>> iDRAC username and password. I have also configured the smart proxy to use >>>> ipmitool. When I go to the BMC tab of my host it tries to load power info >>>> but fails with this error: >>>> >>>> Failure: undefined method `downcase' for nil:NilClass >>>> >>>> >>>> Any help would greatly be appreciated, >>>> Justin >>>> >>>

>
> Ok thanks for your help guys! I am now able to reboot my boxes via
> freeipmi. I had to explicitly state the driver as lan_2_0 so I am
> utilizing the freeipmi.conf file for that and things are working pretty
> well. However, there seems to be a disconnect between Foreman/ruby-ipmi
> because it won't report the proper power state and power cycle options
> aren't working.
>
> The command I'm using is:
>
> ipmipower <bmc_hostname> --stat
> ipmipower <bmc_hostname> --cycle
>
> Can ruby-ipmi use these commands? Should I start asking questions in the
> ruby-ipmi forum?
>

Yes, although I haven't made a forum for it. Just create a issue on
github. Generally using rubyipmi conn.chassis.power.status usually works.

··· On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 8:51:50 AM UTC-8, justin parker wrote:

Thanks,
Justin

On Friday, February 6, 2015 at 3:53:29 PM UTC-5, Corey Osman wrote:

1. IPMI commands only work on a physical host because virtual machines
    don’t need a device since they are already controlled via software.
  2. The no such file or directory /dev/ipmidev/0 error is complaining
    because it cannot find the openipmi driver. And even if the driver was
    installed it still will not show up on vm.
  3. ipmitool/freeipmi can be used to control remote physical hardware. So
    you don’t need to be on the host to enter the command. You do however need
    to supply the hostname, username, and password to connect to the remote BMC
    device. The ipmitool can be used on vm to control remote devices it just
    can’t control the vm that it is on. (see #2)
  4. Rubyipmi is a wrapper around ipmitool and freeipmi in order to allow
    us to programmatically make ipmi calls. You can use rubyipmi by itself if
    you like ruby.
  5. Smart-proxy uses Rubyipmi to run the ipmi commands and then exposes a
    subset of the commands via a HTTP REST API that you can use by itself or
    via foreman. This is known as the bmc module However, foreman is only
    using a really small subset of the bmc module.

As far as the downcase issue. That might be a bug in rubyipmi that you
would need to report https://www.github.com/logicminds/rubyipmi. Open
up a ticket with rubyipmi and we can probably get to the bottom of this
issue. Since hardware manufactors don’t all abide to the IPMI standard
there are often one-off cases that must be worked around with special data
manipulation and error handling. Once you file an issue with rubyipmi I
can probably mock up a quick test with the provided output of ipmitool lan
print and find the bug.

Corey

On Friday, February 6, 2015 at 7:52:00 AM UTC-8, justin parker wrote:

Thanks so much for your reply!

My bmc.yml:

BMC management (Bare metal power and bios controls)

:enabled: true

Available providers:

- freeipmi / ipmitool - requires the appropriate package installed,

and the rubyipmi gem

- shell - for local reboot control (requires sudo access to

/sbin/shutdown for the proxy user)
:bmc_default_provider: ipmitool

rubyipmi version is:
rubyipmi 0.8.1

Output of ipmitool:
On the box that foreman and the foreman-proxy are running on which is an
ESXi vm:
Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0:
No such file or directory

Since I got the error on the vm I configured a phsical box and got this
which looks a lot better. Although it still doesn’t work.

Set in Progress : Set Complete
Auth Type Support : NONE MD2 MD5 PASSWORD
Auth Type Enable : Callback : MD2 MD5
: User : MD2 MD5
: Operator : MD2 MD5
: Admin : MD2 MD5
: OEM :
IP Address Source : Static Address
IP Address :
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
MAC Address : 5c:f9:dd:f6:75:10
SNMP Community String : public
IP Header : TTL=0x40 Flags=0x40 Precedence=0x00 TOS=0x10
BMC ARP Control : ARP Responses Enabled, Gratuitous ARP Disabled
Gratituous ARP Intrvl : 2.0 seconds
Default Gateway IP :
Default Gateway MAC : 00:00:00:00:00:00
Backup Gateway IP : 0.0.0.0
Backup Gateway MAC : 00:00:00:00:00:00
802.1q VLAN ID : 5
802.1q VLAN Priority : 0
RMCP+ Cipher Suites : 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,
Cipher Suite Priv Max : Xaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
: X=Cipher Suite Unused
: c=CALLBACK
: u=USER
: o=OPERATOR
: a=ADMIN
: O=OEM

It didn’t even occur to me that ipmi wouldn’t work in a vm. Is this the
norm?

Thanks so much for your help!
Justin

On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 5:33:57 PM UTC-5, Corey Osman wrote:

Can you supply your smart proxy settings with regards to bmc? Also
which version of rubyipmi are you using?

Also run the command: ipmitool lan print and send the output with your
ip/mac obscured.

Corey

On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 12:26:43 PM UTC-8, justin parker wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to get BMC to work with iDRAC for a while now. I’m
runing foreman on CentOS 6.6 and it’s the Foreman 1.7.1 release. I have
confirmed that IPMI is working by using the Dell BMC Windows utilities.
However am unable to do anything with Foreman. Where should I start
tracking this down? I have an interface configured in the network section
of one of my R720’s with with correct interface details ie ip, dns name,
iDRAC username and password. I have also configured the smart proxy to use
ipmitool. When I go to the BMC tab of my host it tries to load power info
but fails with this error:

Failure: undefined method `downcase’ for nil:NilClass

Any help would greatly be appreciated,
Justin