Highly Available Smart Proxies (part 2)

@Marek_Hulan @iNecas Since you’re both looking for feedback from users directly, would one of you or someone else (@Gwmngilfen ?) spend 30 seconds asking users to come over to User Survey: Supporting HA Smart Proxies and voice an opinion during the next community demo?

I would volunteer myself, but I’m not really able to commit to being present, come demo time :slight_smile:

I guess this could go in the April newsletter too @sean797?

Yes - AFAIC the more feedback we get the better.
Thanks!

@iNecas @Marek_Hulan So I’ve left it a month on the support/users forum section, User Survey: Supporting HA Smart Proxies, it doesn’t seem like anyone has been forthcoming with feedback, I’m not sure why :frowning: maybe its because the subject is fairly complicated, maybe its because nobody cares :frowning:

Anyway, I purpose we move ahead with this, I think it’s fair to say most are onboard with this implementation.

TBH, there are still some gaps in my understanding on how the re-designed version will look look, and especially, how the user interaction will look like.

Could you prepare a deep-dive, that would go again through the proposal, but focus at the differences in the workflow, both in UI and CLI, before and after the change. I’m interested in two scenarios:

1. a user that wants to have the HA smart proxies
  2. a user that doesn’t want any HA

Looking at this from user perspective can hopefully put more lights at this also for the users to see what this proposal is about.

1 Like

Let’s make it a panel? Based on this thread, I think we’d need @sean797, @iNecas, @lzap and @Marek_Hulan? I’ll figure out a time we can all make and we can discuss it in (virtual) person :slight_smile:

Okay, lets set something up. I think those and the minimum people that are required, obviously though anyone is welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

One note while I am working on a customer request: Can we support IP addresses as smart proxy pool names? They have an environment without DNS and setting that up today is tricky. This could support it from the day one maybe. Just a thought.

Yes! That’s one of the nice things about smart proxy pools, they are no constrained. Smart Proxy URLs rightly have constraints because they are used for foreman <-> proxy communication, but smart proxy pools are free! :laughing:

It’ll just require the certificate to validate it subjectAltName = IP:10.0.0.10

1 Like