Host Group parameters are not being inherited by newly added hosts

Foreman 1.7, 1.8

I have 2 foreman installs. For each install I've done the following:

I have created a Host Group called Test_Group. In the host group settings,
under the "Host Group" tab, I have assigned a puppet CA and puppet master.

I am also using the "Default HostGroup" plugin (latest version).

When I try to import an already existing host into Foreman, I get 2
different results. In my DEV instance, everything works. The host is
assigned to the designated host group, and puppet runs correctly.

My Prod instance, though, is a jerk. The host gets assigned to the
designated host group, but, for some reason, the "Puppet CA" and "Puppet
Master" parameters from the Host Group settings are not inherited by the
new host. If I click "YAML" on the new host, both values are blank.

Any idea's why?

It's unclear to me which Foreman version you're talking about, but it's
possible that Foreman 1.8 with that plugin won't automatically inherit
those settings due to some internal changes. I'd suggest filing a bug
report against the plugin.

··· On 11/11/15 21:34, David Patterson wrote: > Foreman 1.7, 1.8 > > I have 2 foreman installs. For each install I've done the following: > > I have created a Host Group called Test_Group. In the host group > settings, under the "Host Group" tab, I have assigned a puppet CA and > puppet master. > > I am also using the "Default HostGroup" plugin (latest version). > > When I try to import an already existing host into Foreman, I get 2 > different results. In my DEV instance, everything works. The host is > assigned to the designated host group, and puppet runs correctly. > > My Prod instance, though, is a jerk. The host gets assigned to the > designated host group, but, for some reason, the "Puppet CA" and "Puppet > Master" parameters from the Host Group settings are not inherited by the > new host. If I click "YAML" on the new host, both values are blank.

Dominic Cleal
dominic@cleal.org

Sorry about that confusion. I’ve tried this on Foreman versions 1.7.x, 1.8.2 and now 1.9.3.

I don’t think it’s necessarily the plugin that’s broken. I think there’s something in my Prod setup that isn’t working right. My Dev instance, which has gone through the same Foreman versions (1.7, 1.8, 1.9) works 100% fine. It’s just my Prod instance that isn’t for some reason.

Are there any sql check or some such that I can run to validate the data in my database?

Thanks!

··· > On Nov 12, 2015, at 1:25 AM, Dominic Cleal wrote: > > On 11/11/15 21:34, David Patterson wrote: >> Foreman 1.7, 1.8 >> >> I have 2 foreman installs. For each install I've done the following: >> >> I have created a Host Group called Test_Group. In the host group >> settings, under the "Host Group" tab, I have assigned a puppet CA and >> puppet master. >> >> I am also using the "Default HostGroup" plugin (latest version). >> >> When I try to import an already existing host into Foreman, I get 2 >> different results. In my DEV instance, everything works. The host is >> assigned to the designated host group, and puppet runs correctly. >> >> My Prod instance, though, is a jerk. The host gets assigned to the >> designated host group, but, for some reason, the "Puppet CA" and "Puppet >> Master" parameters from the Host Group settings are not inherited by the >> new host. If I click "YAML" on the new host, both values are blank. > > It's unclear to me which Foreman version you're talking about, but it's > possible that Foreman 1.8 with that plugin won't automatically inherit > those settings due to some internal changes. I'd suggest filing a bug > report against the plugin. >