How do i promote a small number of packages (such as Errata) into a content view

Hello,

I have just promoted my production content view (redhat 8) then tried to run yum update but cannot start due to a package dependency. I THINK it is an issue of the content view’s version being advanced before the selinux-policy package had been downloaded.

I would like to “cherry pick” that selinux-policy and promote it into my CV. So I would expect there to be a content view 21.1, that has everything in it from the version 21.0 PLUS the one extra package.

Is this even possible?

Error:
Problem: package insights-client-3.2.2-1.el8_9.noarch requires (selinux-policy >= 3.14.3-126 if selinux-policy), but none of the providers can be installed

• cannot install the best update candidate for package selinux-policy-3.14.3-108.el8.noarch
  • cannot install the best update candidate for package insights-client-3.1.7-8.el8.noarch

Expected outcome:
Advance the content view to include a subset of packages

Foreman and Proxy versions:
foreman 2.5.1
katello 4.1.0
Centos 7

Other relevant data:
yum update
Error:
Problem: package insights-client-3.2.2-1.el8_9.noarch requires (selinux-policy >= 3.14.3-126 if selinux-policy), but none of the providers can be installed

• cannot install the best update candidate for package selinux-policy-3.14.3-108.el8.noarch
  • cannot install the best update candidate for package insights-client-3.1.7-8.el8.noarch

I am not sure how you ended up in this situation and would generally recommend to just republish the entire content view. If you are set on just incrementing the CV, you can have a look at incremental errata updates. If you can find the correct errata for the package you are missing, this should be what you are looking for. Though you might just play cat and mouse with more missing packages if you actually published a CV from a partly-downloaded repo and would probably still be better of just republishing the entire thing.

Also, as a side note: Your Foreman version is extremely out of date (~2.5 years out of support), so you should strongly consider updating. I know the Pulp3 migration and the EL8 upgrade can be daunting tasks, but the older your Foreman gets, the less likely it gets that people can actually help you if you run into any problems.

1 Like

And just to add to areyus’ answer: If no Errata is available for this, you can also create an incremental version based on packages, but only via the API not via the GUI. Nothing I would recommend but if a repository is not providing errata sometimes it is the way to go.

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I had never even considered looking at the errata.

With regard to the ancient version: Indeed, I am in the middle of trying to walk the version forward. but I still have patching to do in the meantime…

it may be that advancing the foreman/katello version with content management + an OS upgrade and Lateral move (centos → redhat) is so terribly painful…I often consider starting from scratch and re-enrolling the various systems from old to new server…

–jason

1 Like

I appreciate knowing that its an API issue.