How to add a new OS version?

Hi!

Is there documentation of what steps exactly are required to add a new operating system version? As an example, Ubuntu 18 is already working, Ubuntu 20 is required.
Things like, tftpd needs a new OS image (which one?), these configuration changes are required, in Foreman you need a new OS entry, maybe assignments required or also template changes?

Thanks!

The best thing you can do is to clone existing OS and just change the name/version accordingly. As long as your installation media are defined correctly and template support the new version, that should work.

Or do you ask form the developer perspective, like what it takes to add support for a new OS? I’m not aware of such list but it would be great to build one together :slight_smile:

It’s something I’m looking out too. Ubuntu switched from the old Debian Installer to subiquity, a life system using Cloud Init styled configuration for unattended installation. For the moment I’m helping myself with the deprecated Debian Installer to provision Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, but I know it’s past when 22.04 arrives.

There are some rough instructions around for PXE boot, additionally there is a references for the config file.

Seems to be a shitload of work :face_with_raised_eyebrow: But someone has to start :upside_down_face: So any pointer are warmly welcomed!

I must admit, I have no experience with this new installer, however Foreman already supports cloud-init so perhaps it wouldn’t be that bad. Could you describe the provisioning flow in more details? Like when and how the installer is supposed to be given the cloud-init config. An example of such cloud-config would also help.

Are there perhaps any news, hints or timeframes for this issue?