How to export a database from foreman?

Hello,

First of all sorry if category doesn’t fit the post.

Ok, so here its the problem we’re having.
We have a very old foreman version (2.3.3) and we want to migrate to a new one (3.3.3).
Searching on uncle google we didn’t find much on how to do this.
We tried to do a backup of the database and import it on the new one but we had a lot of errors, saying that some tables already exists.

Another doubt I have is, on the old foreman version we have a mongo database, and we didn’t found information if the new version still supports it.

Thanks for the help

Hi, I would highly recommend to upgrade only one version at time, like this:

• Upgrade to newer version (2.4 in your case)
  • Test that everything went well and works
  • Upgrade to upper version (2.5)
  • Test again and so on …

If you are on 2.3.3 version, your starting point will be here: Foreman docs upgrading to 2.4

2 Likes

There is one of our problems. We have a lot of problems with the current machine.
The OS is so much behind, that when we tried to update it, the katello stopped working and we had a lot of problems upgrading foreman aswell. That’s why we wanted a new clean machine.

If we want a new machine, will we have to create a new database for it?

Yeah, database dump from 2.4 definitively won’t work on 3.4 database

Another doubt I have is, on the old foreman version we have a mongo database, and we didn’t found information if the new version still supports it.

Oh sorry I missed that part, in few last versions the only supported database is PostgreSQL.

OK I see, so on that case we will need to do a new database or importing the hosts will be enough? I supposed not…

Because translating mongodb to postgres seems like a pain.

Fresh Foreman installation on up-to-date machine would be probably best idea.

Because translating mongodb to postgres seems like a pain.

Agree