How to provision Ubuntu 16.04 with updated netboot image

ubuntu
provisioning

Hello,

I’m not sure where would be a good place to post this, but I figured I would get this up here in case it can help anyone else. There apparently was a new update in the xenial netboot image that now segfaults on installation (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/glibc/+bug/1816846). They are not anticipating a fix, and if they were to give an official fix, it would be to use the xenial-updates version. So I had to update my Ubuntu 16.04 OS release to xenial-updates to force it to use the latest, updated version of the netboot image. Once I had done that, I had also experienced an issue where the latest kernel version did not have a linux-signed-image deb package. I was able to set the preseed-kernel-image variable to the latest one with a valid linux-signed-image package, which then resulted in a successful installation. Hopefully this helps someone else who is searching for a solution!

Thanks, I moved OP to the tutorials section of our site and renamed it properly.

Could you please offer slightly more detail? I’m having this issue myself at the moment.

So in your Preseed Default Provisioning template, there is a parameter that you can assign called preseed-kernel-image. The section looks like this:

<% if host_param('preseed-kernel-image') -%>
# Install different kernel
d-i base-installer/kernel/image string <%= host_param('preseed-kernel-image') %>
<% end %>

In your Ubuntu 16.04 host group, you can make your parameter there, of the same name, with whatever value you want, we use linux-image-4.4.0-142-generic since that seems to be the most stable.

In addition to that, we’ve also updated our Ubuntu OS entry on Foreman. We’ve updated the release to xenial-updates.

We haven’t had any issues imaging Ubuntu 16.04 machines from Foreman since then.