How we can centralize the purpose above using the technology that you currently have?

I wonder, shall we include some “Before you start” section on our side/docs? I mean, Foreman clearly is a beast and we assume good Linux skills with some degree of Puppet (and others?)

I think that would be a good idea. Puppet is already a beast inside the beast. If someone expects foreman docs to explain puppet then it’s obviously lacking.

I think docs should also explain the main plugins, at least Katello, maybe like a checklist, so that people know what they need to install in the beginning, i.e. if you need content management you’ll need Katello and most likely the remote execution plugin…

Is this not obvious though?

Myself @ekohl and @tbrisker added a note to the QSG recently to try and address that:

If you want to manage content (for example, RPMs, Kickstart trees, ISO and KVM images, OSTree content, and more) with Foreman please follow the Katello installation instructions. If you are a new user, ensure that you familiarize yourself with Katello and decide whether you want to use its features because installing Katello on top of an existing Foreman is unsupported. Note that you cannot install Katello on Debian systems.

1 Like

Thank you guys

Hello, I am @amiralhafiz-company 's colleague.

We appreciate the advice of looking at Katello to doing content management and we will explore it.

We have our own custom ubuntu (lighter than stock) that we install on a bunch of thin clients.
What we are trying to achieve in the short term is to manage these bunch of thin client in terms of:

1. boot up thin clients and be able to be discovered by Foreman and be managed henceforth
  2. remotely configure all newly managed thin clients with custom LDAP authentication and home drive mappings done via libpam and libsssd (via remote execution? Can this be done using Puppet or Katello)
  3. install, upgrade and remove packages individually or by group
  4. install vnc-server on thin client to implement remote control functionality.

This is our Phase 1 Objective.

Hi Guys,

After further checking the root cause is because version on puppet agent not in the same range at puppet server.

Puppet Agent: 5.++
Puppet Master: 6.++

By the way thanks for your effort to help. I’ll ping you as soon as I stuck again.

Thank you

I’m afraid Katello won’t be able to help with #3, since it’s not supported on Debian systems.

1 Like

As you will use the remote execution plugin for it, it works fine also for Debian based distribution. Not sure if it is as easy as for RHEL and derivates, but at least you can run a job with arguments to do so.