HowTo for own rpm's on Foreman/Katello

Hi all,

is there a howto for self build rpm’s in Foreman/Katello?
I think I need to make an own repository and then use it like a “normal” repo in Foreman?
Is there something already there for own repo build in Foreman?

TiA
Greetz

Self hosting Satellite is a standard practice done by Red Hat customers. You may find some bits in the Satellite 6 documentation.

For Foreman/Katello, I don’t think we have specific info about that. Simply define a custom product, repo, sync and manage Foreman RPMs as it was a normal product like CentOS.

You can create a repository and sync it to Katello, but this would be overhead.

I typically create a Product named after the company, create a Repository like custom or multiple ones named after departments or projects. Create and assign a GPG key if the customer prefers to be secure. RPMs will be created, signed and uploaded using the WebUI or CLI (hammer or pulp-admin).

2 Likes

looks at you :wink:

As soon as one PR [1] is merged, we will have a full content management guide migrated upstream.

[1]

1 Like

I typically create a Product named after the company, create a Repository like custom or multiple ones named after departments or projects.

Content Management Guide docs are now available upstream.
@Christoph, what @Dirk is talking about is described here: http://docs.theforeman.org/guides/build/doc-Content_Management_Guide/index-foreman.html#Importing_Custom_Content-Creating_a_Custom_Product in these docs.

2 Likes

Thanks @mcorr.

Just to add: “Custom” in this documentation is the Red Hat or Foreman definition which differentiates between Red Hat (and SLES) which creates its products and repositories with the corresponding integration automatically and Upstream repositories. For most users “custom” would mean their very own packages where you can skip some steps like Sync plan, Upstream URL, and Download Policy as there is no repository for it and you only upload your own RPMs.

I add adjusting this for the documentation to my ToDo list, but do not expect me to find some time very soon. :wink:

1 Like

That is great feedback @Dirk - I will add an issue to track this. It is just a matter of an adding an attribute.

Here is the issue: https://github.com/theforeman/foreman-documentation/issues/158

2 Likes