I need help with my repo list in my Red Hat Repos

I update my repos via Foreman Katello. My repos that appear as Enabled are as follows.

Enabled Repolist

Red Hat CodeReady Linux Builder for RHEL 8 x86_64 RPMs 8
codeready-builder-for-rhel-8-x86_64-rpms

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - AppStream Kickstart 8.9
rhel-8-for-x86_64-appstream-kickstart

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - AppStream RPMs 8
rhel-8-for-x86_64-appstream-rpms

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - BaseOS Kickstart 8.9
rhel-8-for-x86_64-baseos-kickstart

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - BaseOS RPMs 8
rhel-8-for-x86_64-baseos-rpms

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - SAP Solutions RPMs 8
rhel-8-for-x86_64-sap-solutions-rpms

I wanted to upgrade from redhat 8.8 to red hat 8.9 on one of my servers, but could not find 8.9 content in the repos. So I added it to the Redhat repos.

“Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - AppStream (Kickstart)” and
I added the “Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - BaseOS (Kickstart)” repos.

Now it looks like the following. And when I say “yum update, 8.9 can update” the update works. Do you think everything looks ok in this repo list? Will it be a problem to have 8.0 and 8.9? Or should it proceed as 8.0 8.1 8.2?

subscription-manager release --list
±------------------------------------------+
Available Releases
±------------------------------------------+

What is the difference between the kickstart repo and the normal repo, for example, when I wanted to add the repo below, it gave me a warning so I couldn’t add it. So I added the kickstart repo below. I didn’t do anything wrong, right?

I’m really confused about this. I didn’t understand why I couldn’t upgrade Rhel 8.9 without adding the kickstart repo. After adding the kickstart repos, packages and updates for 8.9 came with yum update. If I do yum update this way, there will be no confusion, right?

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - BaseOS (RPMs)

x86_64 8.9 This repository is not recommended. Please see additional documentation prior to use.

Hi,

The kickstart repositories are only for provisioning. For updating an existing system, the “Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - AppStream RPMs 8” and “Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - BaseOS RPMs 8” are what you need. Just make sure they’re synced (and make sure the host’s release version is unset or is set to “8”), and you’ll get the latest updates.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - AppStream RPMs 8" og “Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - BaseOS RPMs 8” eksisterede disse repos allerede og blev synkroniseret. Jeg kunne dog ikke se indholdet af rhel 8.9 med yum update pĂ„ serveren, sĂ„ da jeg tilfĂžjede kickstart, dukkede opdateringerne op. Nu er bĂ„de kickstart og standard baseOS og AppStream repo tilfĂžjet. Skal jeg slette kickstart under disse forhold? Betyder det, at der vil vĂŠre et problem?

Assuming you forgot to translate to English :smile: ?

Google translate tells me

“
did these repos already exist and were synced. However, I couldn’t see the contents of rhel 8.9 with yum update on the server, so when I added kickstart, the updates appeared. Now both kickstart and standard baseOS and AppStream repo are added. Should I delete kickstart under these conditions? Does this mean there will be a problem?”

If you’re not provisioning hosts, you can remove the Kickstart repositories. I don’t think it should be a problem either way.

When I want to add the Baseos AppStream Repos you said, it gives the following message for rhel 8.9. However, it still adds and synchronizes the repo. This situation confused me. I hope Kickstart does not make a conflict.

This repository is not suggested. Please see additional documentation prior to use

Don’t add 8.9. Just “8” is what you need.

The versioned repos are for if you want to set a release version on your host, and then stick with that release forever. For example, if you wanted to keep a host on RHEL 8.9, and not upgrade to 8.10 when it is released, you would use the “8.9” repo and set the host’s release version to 8.9. However, this is not recommended. Instead, just use the “8” repo and you’ll get all updates to RHEL8.

What exactly is host preparation
In short, I have 4 servers and I want to upgrade my servers to rhel 8.9. Isn’t kickstart the right repo in this case?

No, “8” is correct. Kickstart is only for provisioning hosts that don’t exist yet.

A ‘dnf update’ on a host that has the “8” repo will give you 8.9.

But unfortunately I can’t get updates when I stay on version 8. That’s why I chose this path, so now I’ll uninstall the whole 8.9 version and try to update the repos again.

Is your host assigned to a content view? Has the content view been published since the repo was synced?

You may want to just use “Default Organization View” and the Library environment for your hosts. That way they’ll get updates immediately, without needing to publish content views.

For what it’s worth, I’ve verified that 8.9 is indeed there:

First I deleted the kickstart repos from the content view. Then I published and promoted the new versions. Finally I completely removed the repos under Red hat repositories. Now when I update rhel 8, rhel 8.9 received the packages and update. But I have no idea why this did not happen before. Now my main question is water. From now on, when these repos are automatically updated, do I always have to update the version, puplish and promote so that the new updates are library promoted.

thankyou for support.

This is my current repository list. It’s under Redhat Repositories.

Red Hat CodeReady Linux Builder for RHEL 8 x86_64 RPMs 8
codeready-builder-for-rhel-8-x86_64-rpms

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server - Extras RPMs x86_64
rhel-7-server-extras-rpms

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server - Optional RPMs x86_64 7Server
rhel-7-server-optional-rpms

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server RPMs x86_64 7Server
rhel-7-server-rpms

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - AppStream RPMs 8
rhel-8-for-x86_64-appstream-rpms

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - BaseOS RPMs 8

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 for x86_64 - SAP Solutions RPMs 8
rhel-8-for-x86_64-sap-solutions-rpms

This depends on whether your hosts are assigned to a content view and lifecycle environment.

If your hosts are using “Default Organization View” and the Library environment, there is no need to publish or promote.

If your hosts are using a non-default content view, you will need to publish the content view each time there are updates.

If your hosts are using both a non-default content view and a non-Library lifecycle environment, you will need to publish and promote after each sync.

Also it may help to note that hosts only update their installed package lists and errata status every 4 hours by default, so you may not see host status change immediately. If you see stale data in the web UI because of this, you can run ‘subscription-manager repos’ on the host to force this update.

1 Like