Import/Export ansible variable overwrites

Relying on ansible variable overwrites in Foreman/Satellite is quite fragile at the moment and I would love to be able export/import ansible variable overwrites somehow. Ideally with some integration to git, but perhaps the templates sync feature could be expanded to support ansible variables.

This would solve few issues:

• If you remove/rename ansible roles and then re-import them, then all of the previous variable overwrites are gone without warning.
  • Currently there is no way to see the previous value of a variable, and no way to roll back to earlier versions.
  • When you try to import variables you can see that there are some variables that need to be updated, but there is no way of knowing what is going to be updated and it’s scary that you could loose your configuration when blindly importing the updated variables.
  • Managing the variables through the interface is awkward and it would be nice to be able to manage them in a git repo and then simply sync them.

Apologies if this is already possible, I haven’t found anything on the subject myself.

Hey @gardar , I think this could be a great RFE upstream – if you would like to propose something, considering making a Feature request here: Foreman

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I created a feature request: Feature #36770: Import/Export ansible variable overwrites - Ansible - Foreman

1 Like