Importing manifest to upgraded foreman/katello server

Problem:
Importing the manifest from redhat generates an error: the task reports:

Error message: the server returns an error
HTTP status code: 403
Response headers: {“date”=>“Mon, 04 Mar 2024 21:42:21 GMT”, “server”=>“gunicorn/20.0.4”, “content-type”=>“application/json”, “vary”=>“Accept,Cookie”, “allow”=>“GET, PUT, PATCH, DELETE, HEAD, OPTIONS”, “x-frame-options”=>“SAMEORIGIN”, “content-length”=>“58”, “correlation-id”=>“22ad0d87-d542-4316-a439-efcb6a3b4d48”, “access-control-expose-headers”=>“Correlation-ID”, “via”=>“1.1 slforeman002p.ucallstream.com”}
Response body: {“detail”:“Authentication credentials were not provided.”}

it should be noted that the line above showing “slforeman002p.ucallstream.com” is the OLD foreman servername. I replicated the old foreman server, changed its name using katello-change-hostname, then advanced the version of foreman forward.

Expected outcome:

Foreman and Proxy versions:
upgraded from foreman 2.5.1 katello 4.1
to
foreman 3.9.1, katello 4.11.0

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

Distribution and version:

Other relevant data:
since I have upgraded the system and changed its hostname (properly…), do need to delete the manifest on redhat.com and regenerate it?

I noticed that on the “manage manifest” popup window, I have a new tab “CDN Configuration”
Red Hat CDN:
url and update button are grayed out (this does not seem right)
Custom CDN:
url is blank (this seems right…)
Network Sync:
in RED box: “Username, Password, Organization Label, and SSL CA Content Credential must be provided together.”
I don’t know what this means.
is this where the info that otherwise gets me the “Authentication credentials were not provided” goes?
why would I need this if I am trying to use RedHat Repositories?
If I do need this, WHAT information should I be putting there? my redhat.com login credentials?

No need to delete the manifest. A re-export (re-download) from console.redhat.com should resolve it.

Unfortunately it still doesn’t work. “authentication credentials were not provided”

I noticed the error message still contains the old foreman server name. if I look in the “about” page, I see the old foreman server is listed as a smart proxy.

so maybe to clarify what my upgrade process was: I was not only going from centos 7 to redhat 8, but also changing the name.

The procedure:

CentOS 7:

1. cloned slforeman002p to an intermediate virtual machine
  2. altered intermediate vm to new ip address of new server
  3. using “katello-change-hostname” changed hostname to the new foreman server (ptdvuforeman01p)
  4. on cloned system removed manifest and sync tasks
  5. using docs.foreman.org, iteratively advanced foreman/katello from version 2.5.1/4.1 to version 3.1.3/4.3
  6. using an extra disk mounted on /backup, backed up data using “foreman-maintain backup offline /backup
  7. powered down intermediate system

RedHat 8

1. starting witha fresh install of redhat8, set hostname and ip address to new foreman server
  2. installed foreman/katello 3.1/4.3
  3. attached aforementioned extra disk mounted on /backup
  4. restored data using “foreman-maintain restore /backup/katello-backup-/
  5. iteratively upgraded forman/katello from 3.1/4.3 all the way to foreman/katello 3.9.1/4.11.0

In your Manage Manifest / CDN Configuration tab, it should still be set to “Red Hat CDN.”

(The Update button here is for switching between Red Hat CDN / Custom CDN / Network Sync / Export Sync, which you do not need to do unless you’ve switched it and are switching back to Red Hat CDN.)

Hello,

Thank you for your replies. I believe I figured out what the problem was: it had nothing to do with the foreman version or the manifest info.

The process of upgrading from foreman 2.5.1 on centos 7 all the way up to 3.9.1 on redhat 8 had a flaw in it: somehow the final version believed it also had a proxy server whose name was the original foreman server.

I re-did the upgrade process. I of course had to restore an earlier backup of foreman because my original foreman server also believed it had a proxy server (the name was that of one of my test upgrades).

This time I made sure that the only reason the old forman server was ever online was when running yum update.

So I consider this issue closed.

–jason