Incremental update not working

Problem: deb package not added with incremental update

Expected outcome: added package should be visible in content view

Foreman and Proxy versions: foreman 3.9.3

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

Distribution and version: RHEL8

Other relevant data:
I try to add a deb package with hammer incremental-update to a content view:

hammer content-view version incremental-update --content-view-version-id 287 --debs firefox_128.0+build2-0ubuntu0.20.04.1_amd64 --lifecycle-environment-ids 19 

The task run for a long time and ended with this output:

[root@foreman ~]# hammer content-view version incremental-update --content-view-version-id 287 --debs firefox_128.0+build2-0ubuntu0.20.04.1_amd64 --lifecycle-environment-ids 19
[...................................................................................................................................................................................................................] [100%]
Content View: CV Ubuntu 20.04 version 73.8
Added Content:
[root@foreman ~]#

Though a new CV with a minor version is created, the package is not added.
There are no errors in the foreman log.

Any suggestion what I’m doing wrong would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Hi @martux69 ,

I wonder if your package name there is resolving properly. Can you try passing it in by ID rather than by name? You can find the ID if you search for the deb package from Content → Content Types → Deb Packages

Using the package ID makes no different.

Making some tests with rpm packages and for this it works as expected!

[root@foreman ~]# hammer content-view version incremental-update --content-view-version-id 9 --lifecycle-environment-ids 2 --package-ids 3
[..........................................................................................................................................................................................................] [100%]
Content View: CV RHEL 9 version 1.1
Added Content:
  Packages:
        check-mk-agent-2.3.0p10-1.noarch
[root@foreman ~]#

Is incremental-update not working for deb packages???

Perhaps @quba42 as foreman debian expert knows something about it?

I am afraid it does not work in any released Katello version, yet.

But, the good news is: there is a PR to introduce it, feel free to test and comment/vote on it :wink:

1 Like

@m-bucher I implement your changes manually on my test system and a first test was successfull, though the hammer cli output was the same as before:

[root@foreman ~]# hammer content-view version incremental-update --content-view-version-id 12 --lifecycle-environment-ids 2 --deb-ids 1685
[..........................................................................................................................................................................................................] [100%]
Content View: CV Debian 12 version 1.8
Added Content:
[root@foreman ~]#

But in the GUI the added package is seen now. It would be nice when the CLI output could be corrected.
Where can I vote for the PR?

1 Like

I guess you can just comment your findings on the PR and express your need for the feature :grin:

I should have another look at the Output, though :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I had no idea Debian incremental update wasn’t a full feature yet, I just assumed so since the API accepts Debs :sweat_smile:

Anyway, nice teamwork there :slight_smile:

I can try to get more eyes on the PR there, I didn’t realize it’s been sitting around since January.

1 Like

Please note, this already works in orcharhino, where you can also use the Debian/Ubuntu Errata feature for incremental updates.

@hlawatschek interesting. Why does debian errata work in orcharhino when the last official statement was that there is no final release date for it on the horizon (see Fixes #25978 - Debian Errata support by m-bucher · Pull Request #7961 · Katello/katello · GitHub and Debian Errata - #20 by martux69 ).
And why incremental updates work in orcharhino and not in the official foreman version? As far as I understand orcharhino is a branch of foreman?

orcharhino is an enterprise grade, quality assured downstream product based on the foreman and katello stack. It includes back ported bug fixes and features as well as it’s own bugfixes and features. Some of them may be only available as open PRs for the upstream projects. Errata based incremental updates for Debian and Ubuntu is a good example for this.