Install without Puppet - still seeing widgets in Dashboard

Problem:
I’m trying to install Foreman/Katello 3.1.3 without Puppet features enabled and I’m still seeing the following widgets in the Dashboard - am I doing something wrong?

• Host Configuration Status for Puppet
  • Host Configuration Chart for Puppet
  • Run Distribution Chart for Puppet

I’m using the following install options - I thought just “–no-enable-puppet” would do it… and have added on every “No puppet, no!” option I can find, but these widgets still show up. Is there an option I’m missing?

foreman-installer --scenario katello \
–foreman-initial-organization MyOrg \
–foreman-initial-location MyLocation \
–foreman-initial-admin-username admin \
–foreman-initial-admin-password changeme \
–enable-foreman-proxy \
–foreman-proxy-tftp true \
–enable-foreman-plugin-remote-execution \
–enable-foreman-proxy-plugin-remote-execution-ssh \
–enable-foreman-plugin-templates \
–enable-foreman-cli-templates \
–no-enable-puppet \
–no-enable-foreman-cli-puppet \
–no-enable-foreman-plugin-puppet \
–no-enable-foreman-plugin-puppetdb \
–puppet-server=false \
–foreman-proxy-puppet=false \
–foreman-proxy-puppetca=false

Expected outcome:

Installing with --no-enable-puppet would default to an WebUI that doesn’t reference Puppet

Foreman and Proxy versions:

Foreman 3.1.3, Katello 4.3.1

Distribution and version:

AlmaLinux 8.5

Well, that’s from the start the completely wrong approach: since Foreman 3.0 has been extracted to a plugin. If you don’t configure anything about puppet you don’t get the puppet integration. On a new server you shouldn’t get anything about puppet in the UI. If you still do, it’s probably something they have missed during the extraction.

Also, even if you don’t setup the puppet integration, there are still some widgets, like Host Configuration Chart or Host Confiugration Status widgets. That’s because Facts and Reports (the data this is based on are still core functionality).

I just did another install of the latest version 3.3 RC2 and kept it as simple as possible - here’s the entire bash history on a new install of AlmaLinux 8:

[root@foreman ~]# history
1 dnf update -y
2 dnf -y install https://yum.puppet.com/puppet7-release-el-8.noarch.rpm
3 dnf -y install https://yum.theforeman.org/releases/3.3/el8/x86_64/foreman-release.rpm
4 dnf module enable foreman:el8
5 yum -y install foreman-installer
6 foreman-installer
7 firewall-cmd --add-service=RH-Satellite-6
8 firewall-cmd --permanent --add-service=RH-Satellite-6
9 firewall-cmd --add-service=tftp
10 firewall-cmd --permanent --add-service=tftp
11 history
[root@foreman ~]#

…And the puppet widgets still appear in the dashboard:

Host Configuration Status for Puppet
Host Configuration Chart for Puppet
Run Distribution Chart for Puppet

@gvde are you saying I should NOT install puppet7-release-el-8.noarch.rpm? Is that what you mean by “If you don’t configure anything about puppet you don’t get the puppet integration”? My understanding is that puppet7-release-el-8.noarch.rpm is required for “foreman-installer”. I’m trying to re-create what you’re describing, but I’m not sure how to “not configure anything about puppet” beyond what I’m doing.

No. What I meant is you shouldn‘t try to tell the foreman-installer not to install/setup puppet if you don‘t want it because that‘s the default now.

There is no benefit doing so and you don‘t know what potential side effects a configuration option might have (e.g. maybe because an option has some side effects on other options).

So omit the puppet related options to foreman-installer.

As @Marek_Hulan wrote there are still some references to puppet which haven’t been extracted yet from the core into the new puppet plugin. So for the time being you have to live with it until it gets removed.