Installation of Katello 4.0.0 RC2 is not possible

Problem:
I’m unable to install Katello 4.0.0 RC2.
I tried to use the Foreman Client repositories as the documentation is not ready at this point.

It looks like dependencies are broken:

# yum install katello
--> Abhängigkeitsauflösung beendet
Fehler: Paket: tfm-rubygem-katello-4.0.0-0.4.rc2.el7.noarch (katello)
            Benötigt: foreman < 2.5
            Installieren: foreman-2.5.0-0.2.develop.20210225115040git669eecb.el7.noarch (foreman)
                foreman = 2.5.0-0.2.develop.20210225115040git669eecb.el7
Fehler: Paket: tfm-rubygem-katello-4.0.0-0.4.rc2.el7.noarch (katello)
            Benötigt: foreman < 2.5
            Verfügbar: foreman-2.5.0-0.2.develop.20210225115040git669eecb.el7.noarch (foreman)
                foreman = 2.5.0-0.2.develop.20210225115040git669eecb.el7
 Sie können versuchen, mit --skip-broken das Problem zu umgehen.
 Sie könnten Folgendes versuchen: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

Expected outcome:
Katello 4.0.0 RC2 can be installed.

Foreman and Proxy versions:
Foreman Nightly

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

Distribution and version:
CentOS 7 x86_64

Other relevant data:

The Katello nightly expects Foreman 2.4, but the Foreman nightlies have moved on to 2.5. Replace
yum update -y https://yum.theforeman.org/releases/nightly/el7/x86_64/foreman-release.rpm

With
yum update -y https://yum.theforeman.org/releases/2.4/el7/x86_64/foreman-release.rpm

1 Like

Hello!

It seems Pulp is not packaged for centos/rhel8 yet(?).
Otherwise it’s ok with foreman 2.4 as stated above!

Cheers!

On Oracle Linux 8 I’m getting:

# dnf install katello
Updating Subscription Management repositories.
Unable to read consumer identity
This system is not registered to Red Hat Subscription Management. You can use subscription-manager to register.
Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux Modular 8 - x86_64                                                                                                                                                                                         783 kB/s | 550 kB     00:00
Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64                                                                                                                                                                                                  11 MB/s | 8.9 MB     00:00
Error:
 Problem: package katello-4.0.0-0.9.rc2.el8.noarch requires qpid-cpp-server-linearstore, but none of the providers can be installed
  - conflicting requests
  - nothing provides libdb_cxx-5.3.so()(64bit) needed by qpid-cpp-server-linearstore-1.39.0-6.el8.x86_64
(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages or '--nobest' to use not only best candidate packages)

You’ll need to enable whatever the OEL equivalent of the Powertools repository is for this package.

Pulp is definitely packaged for CentOS 8. For example, Pulp 3.9 repositories:

http://yum.theforeman.org/pulpcore/3.9/el8/x86_64/

1 Like

I did start to wonder about that a few hours after I posted. After enabling the ‘ol8_codeready_builder’ repository I get to a different DNF/RPM issue:

$ sudo dnf install katello
Updating Subscription Management repositories.
Unable to read consumer identity
This system is not registered to Red Hat Subscription Management. You can use subscription-manager to register.
No read/execute access in current directory, moving to /
Oracle Linux 8 BaseOS Latest (x86_64)                                                                                                                                                                                                           82 kB/s | 2.7 kB     00:00
Oracle Linux 8 Application Stream (x86_64)                                                                                                                                                                                                     187 kB/s | 3.1 kB     00:00
Oracle Linux 8 CodeReady Builder (x86_64) - Unsupported                                                                                                                                                                                         31 MB/s | 4.2 MB     00:00
Error:
 Problem: package katello-4.0.0-0.9.rc2.el8.noarch requires candlepin >= 2.0, but none of the providers can be installed
  - package candlepin-3.2.11-1.el8.noarch requires tomcatjss >= 7.2.1-7.1, but none of the providers can be installed
  - conflicting requests
  - package tomcatjss-7.3.6-1.module+el8+5153+a528e508.noarch is filtered out by modular filtering
  - package tomcatjss-7.4.1-1.module+el8.1.0+5401+ee4f2d9d.noarch is filtered out by modular filtering
  - package tomcatjss-7.4.1-2.module+el8.2.0+5594+09d37207.noarch is filtered out by modular filtering
  - package tomcatjss-7.4.1-2.module+el8.2.0+7620+3306ac3c.noarch is filtered out by modular filtering
  - package tomcatjss-7.5.0-1.module+el8.3.0+7857+983338ee.noarch is filtered out by modular filtering
(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages or '--nobest' to use not only best candidate packages)

There is a pki-core module that should be enabled. The installer can do this for you. So you can skip dnf install katello. At least, that’s the theory. It works for us in our CI with CentOS but this is one area where it really is an RC: we don’t know how well it works on platforms like Oracle Linux.

1 Like

So, I was just following the documentation at Installing Foreman 2.4 server - which says to do “yum install katello”. Admittedly these docs say that EL8 is not supported…

1 Like

Yes, we’re aware of this and Update installation repositories configuration by ehelms · Pull Request #411 · theforeman/foreman-documentation · GitHub should address this. There’s a lot of work to be done in the documentation area.

1 Like

I tried to follow these instructions but seems like the foreman-release-scl package is missing. Double-checked with 2.4 and nightly repositories. Am I missing something here?

SCL is no longer required/appropriate - the majority of the “cheat sheet” here is appropriate for any EL8, presuming that’s what you’re trying to install on: What is the state of Katello support on EL8 - #12 by Tony_Coffman

1 Like

Thanks for sharing - was trying to install Katello 4 on EL7, but I can also give EL8 a try. :slight_smile:

Oh, disregard my statement then, as SCL will still be required on EL7, not sure about that specific foreman-release-scl package though…

foreman-release-scl was only depending on centos-release-scl-rh and nothing else so we decided to remove it and recommend installing that instead. It also didn’t make sense on non-CentOS. On RHEL you probably want the official SCL packages instead.

Following the nightly documentation on EL8 did the trick - thanks a lot for all your great help! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If anyone in the thread is up for reading over the newer docs that are being worked on, there is a full install guide and a quickstart guide:

Feedback welcome in this thread, or as issues on the repository where these guides live: Issues · theforeman/foreman-documentation · GitHub

2 Likes

Great, thanks a lot for sharing!

I was just curious why Puppet is still a requirement? I assume it will be removed in Foreman 2.5 but not already in 2.4, right?

That depends on what level you mean Puppet. The installer is written in Puppet and therefore requires the present of puppet runtime, e.g. puppet-agent. This is not planned to change.

2 Likes