Installer error: usermod: user foreman is currently used by process

Problem: New fresh installation in CentOS7.
Cant access GUI after installation.

Expected outcome: Should be able to access theforeman webgui.

Other relevant data:
I’m using a vm machine with CentOS-7-x86_64-Everything-1908 image.
I followed this guide https://www.theforeman.org/manuals/1.24/quickstart_guide.html
Everything goes weel till the end of the installation procedure.
I got an error in the installation and then i try to access the webgui and nothing shows up.
This is the error that shows in the foreman log.

Could not set home on user[foreman]: Execution of '/usr/sbin/usermod -d /usr/share/foreman foreman' returned 8: usermod: user foreman is currently used by process 1503

/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/util/execution.rb:295:in `execute'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/provider.rb:101:in `execute'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/provider/nameservice.rb:282:in `set'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/provider/nameservice.rb:80:in `block (2 levels) in resource_type='
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/property.rb:195:in `call_provider'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/property.rb:506:in `set'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/property.rb:568:in `sync'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/transaction/resource_harness.rb:239:in `sync'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/transaction/resource_harness.rb:134:in `sync_if_needed'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/transaction/resource_harness.rb:88:in `block in perform_changes'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/transaction/resource_harness.rb:87:in `each'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/transaction/resource_harness.rb:87:in `perform_changes'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/transaction/resource_harness.rb:21:in `evaluate'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/transaction.rb:259:in `apply'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/transaction.rb:279:in `eval_resource'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/transaction.rb:183:in `call'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/transaction.rb:183:in `block (2 levels) in evaluate'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/util.rb:519:in `block in thinmark'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/2.4.0/benchmark.rb:308:in `realtime'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/util.rb:518:in `thinmark'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/transaction.rb:183:in `block in evaluate'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/graph/relationship_graph.rb:121:in `traverse'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/transaction.rb:173:in `evaluate'
/usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/kafo/modules/kafo_configure/lib/puppet/parser/functions/add_progress.rb:30:in `evaluate_with_trigger'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/resource/catalog.rb:239:in `block (2 levels) in apply'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/util.rb:519:in `block in thinmark'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/resource/catalog.rb:238:in `block in apply'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/util/log.rb:161:in `with_destination'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/transaction/report.rb:146:in `as_logging_destination'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/resource/catalog.rb:237:in `apply'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/configurer.rb:182:in `block (2 levels) in apply_catalog'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/configurer.rb:181:in `block in apply_catalog'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/util.rb:232:in `block in benchmark'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/util.rb:231:in `benchmark'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/configurer.rb:180:in `apply_catalog'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/configurer.rb:382:in `run_internal'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/configurer.rb:230:in `block in run'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/context.rb:65:in `override'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet.rb:263:in `override'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/configurer.rb:207:in `run'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/application/apply.rb:355:in `apply_catalog'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/application/apply.rb:280:in `block (2 levels) in main'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/application/apply.rb:280:in `block in main'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/application/apply.rb:233:in `main'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/application/apply.rb:174:in `run_command'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/application.rb:375:in `block in run'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/util.rb:690:in `exit_on_fail'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/application.rb:375:in `run'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/util/command_line.rb:139:in `run'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/puppet/util/command_line.rb:77:in `execute'
/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/bin/puppet:5:in `<main>'
 /Stage[main]/Foreman::Config/User[foreman]/home: change from '/home/foreman' to '/usr/share/foreman' failed: Could not set home on user[foreman]: Execution of '/usr/sbin/usermod -d /usr/share/foreman foreman' returned 8: usermod: user foreman is currently used by process 1503

Maybe this is just a noob problem, because i named the username as “foreman”

Hello,

I’ve slightly changed the topic of the OP.

I do believe this is some kind of race condition, @ekohl will have more insights. At this point, just re-run the installer once again, it uses puppet so this should resolve correctly and you will be fine.

I saw @evgeni discuss this with @akuma854 on IRC. The problem was that a user foreman was created and used as a normal user. When a user is logged in, their homedir can’t be changed. Using a different user solved it there.

Its solved, it was exactly that problem. i’ve made a clear installarion with a fresh centOS7 machine and it is working now. Thanks :slight_smile:
How can i close this thread now ?

It’s your thread, you tell us! :slight_smile:

I’ve marked my answer as the solution which is the closest we come to closing a thread.

the solution was simple, i was getting that error because i’ve created the machine and gived the name “foreman” to the username, so the conflict is when the installation trys to create the username “foreman”.
I just solved the problem by creating and installing a fresh machine.
Now when i tried to install the openscap plugin i got to starting point, i got an error during the installation and now i cant even go to the webgui.

I think it has to do with the hostname. In the first installation of the foreman i had to change the hostname to foreman.local, but now when i give the command “foreman-installer --enable-foreman-plugin-openscap” the output returned an error with the hostname, the installer was checking for “foreman.lan”, so i changed the hostname to that. i ran the installer and it worked, but it returned this error in the end:

Stage[main]/Foreman_proxy::Register/Foreman_smartproxy[unknown000c290b7413.lan]: Could not evaluate: Exception Failed to open TCP connection to unknown000c290b7413.lan:443 (getaddrinfo: Name or service not known) in get request to: https://unknown000c290b7413.lan/api/v2/smart_proxies?search=name="unknown000c290b7413.lan"

That sounds like it stored the old hostname in the answers file. There’s --foreman-proxy-foreman-url from the top of my head and --puppet-server-foreman-url but probably also the server name and actual certificates contain the old name.