Introduction to the Remote Execution Plugin

In this post, we’ll see how to add a remote execution plugin to the Foreman installation and look at its basic functionality. We’ll create some jobs that we execute through SSH on one or more Foreman hosts. Then we’ll look at some real-world use cases of useful SSH jobs automation. We’ll show how to deploy the Puppet agent on the Foreman host and illustrate the use with home automation, running commands on SSH enabled routers.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://theforeman.org/2021/02/introduction-to-the-remote-execution-plugin.html

Hi,
thanks for the info, but it looks like this article needs an update!

I’ve just tried:
foreman-installer --enable-foreman-plugin-remote-execution --enable-foreman-cli-remote-execution --enable-foreman-proxy-plugin-remote-execution-ssh

And i find the ssh option does not work anymore.

# foreman-installer --enable-foreman-proxy-plugin-remote-execution-ssh
2023-06-22 14:35:40 [NOTICE] [root] Loading installer configuration. This will take some time.
2023-06-22 14:35:44 [NOTICE] [root] Running installer with log based terminal output at level NOTICE.
2023-06-22 14:35:44 [NOTICE] [root] Use -l to set the terminal output log level to ERROR, WARN, NOTICE, INFO, or DEBUG. See --full-help for definitions.
ERROR: Unrecognised option '--enable-foreman-proxy-plugin-remote-execution-ssh'

My remote execution jobs are failing, even after doing --enable-foreman-plugin-remote-execution --enable-foreman-cli-remote-execution.

And i do not see SSH in the Features of the integrated Smart Proxy, as other documents suggest i should. All i see in features is “logs and pulpcore”.

If there is anything else that needs to be done to get things working on recent foreman/katello, info / updates to the doc would be appreciated, because i think i have missed something… I need to know if it is still necessary to have ssh in the enabled features in the local Smart Proxy, and if so, how to get it there, because these instructions no longer seem to work.

Ta.

Nevermind, I have now discovered the problem is that:

foreman-installer --enable-foreman-proxy-plugin-remote-execution-ssh

no longer works, and now we need to do:

foreman-installer --enable-foreman-proxy-plugin-remote-execution-script

And noone has bothered to update the documentation anywhere for over a year.

Oh, that’s a great catch. Would you mind updating the article via PR at theforeman.org/_posts/2021-02-17-introduction-to-the-remote-execution-plugin.md at gh-pages · theforeman/theforeman.org · GitHub and the plugin documntation theforeman.org/plugins/foreman_remote_execution/nightly/index.md at gh-pages · theforeman/theforeman.org · GitHub? @aruzicka is this something a writer in your team could help with? I think we may want to merge the outdated plugin manual to the docs.theforeman.org.