Katello 4.2.2 - Not syncing all repositories to content proxy

Upstream issues filed:

Well, the republish of the metadata on a repository followed by a complete sync of the content proxy is my failsafe workaround for a variety of issues in the past. Now, if that doesn’t work here, it bothers me because it means I may end up in a state where a quick workaround isn’t possible and I potentially cannot use some repositories for a while.

There are only two functions for the content proxy: “Optimized Sync” and “Complete Sync”. I thought “Complete Sync” would ignored previously mirrored metadata and pick up the version from the main server. But it seems it does not.

So your workaround is unfortunately not possible with standard foreman/katello means…

I may take another go at a katello 4.3 upgrade tonight which comes with pulp 3.16. However, during my three previous, failed attempts I had a number of backtraces on a couple of repository syncs after which I have reverted the servers to my pre-update 4.1 snapshot…

@gvde, You should be able to install the pulp-cli on your capsule, and manually publish this one repo.

And we’ll roll out a patch that prevents mirroring the broken metadata in the first place.

I don’t really like using “low-level” tools as I don’t really know what else it may affect, if you make a change in pulp which is not matched in the katello database.

And still, it’s bothering me that the complete sync on the content proxy/capsule is not picking up the new repository from the main server. I thought that’s the whole purpose of the complete sync on the capsule to ignore the metadata but get everything again from the main server. As I wrote before, in the past that was my fail-safe for a couple of bugs.

@gvde, It shouldn’t hurt anything to just republish the repo on the content proxy. Katello doesn’t really manage them, just tell them to sync occasionally.

And still, it’s bothering me that the complete sync on the content proxy/capsule is not picking up the new repository from the main server. I thought that’s the whole purpose of the complete sync on the capsule to ignore the metadata but get everything again from the main server. As I wrote before, in the past that was my fail-safe for a couple of bugs.

I get it, it’s unexpected behavior, that’s why it was fixed last October. But it ended up being a sizable patch, built on top of a few other sizable patches, which don’t make sense to backport to 4.2

You said you would attempt to upgrade to Katello 4.3, are you still facing blockers there? What kind of exceptions were you hitting?

I had to deal with a couple of others things which is why I wasn’t able to try the upgrade again. Last Friday I have tried again but ran immediately into Katello 4.3 - Repo Sync Error - Errno1 Operation Not Permitted and PulpRpmClient::ApiError HTTP 500 during sync repository.

As I wasn’t sure how much time I have this week to deal with these and the sync error affected CentOS 7 Base on my system, I have reverted back to 4.2 as there everything is working at the moment, except for that one repository which is only used on a single host, but that I can live with…