Katello/Foreman install failing on brand new CentOS 7

Hello everyone!

I want to learn Katello/Foreman for Linux sysadmin purposes. I followed the instructions here at https://theforeman.org/plugins/katello/3.16/installation/index.html and it fails to install.

I’ve uploaded a picture of the log failure i’m getting.

Thank you all in advance for the help!

could you try running this command manually:

sudo  PULP_SETTINGS='/etc/pulp/settings.py' DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE='pulpcore.app.settings'  python3-django-admin migrate

and see what the output is?

I will do so.

Do I run this before the foreman-installer command or after?

assuming it just failed, you’d run it after (because its already run)

1 Like

Justin,

I have a snapshot of pre-installation to test hence why I asked.

Output:

ah, do you have FIPs enabled? We don’t yet support running with fips and pulp3 unfortunately as pulp3 doesn’t yet support it, but it is on their roadmap. Are you able to run without fips?

We don’t yet support running with fips

Ahhhhhhhh. That might be the issue then. Let scrap the server (no fips) and try again.

Update: I’m no longer getting that error I sent.

However, I am getting a new error “could not get default values”

I found this issue: Bug #27179: foreman-installer 1.22 fails on new Ubuntu Bionic box due to use of upcase() in foreman-proxy's params.pp - Installer - Foreman

which seems to point to the FQDN not being set properly on that system. What does this command return:

$ facter | grep -i 'domain\|fqdn\|hostname'

It’s working!!

It turns out setting FQDN in /etc/hosts doesn’t automatically fix the hostname. the hostname didn’t pick up the change in /etc/hosts so I used the “hostname” command to reset the initial hostname and then it picked up the FQDN from /etc/hosts. This was a fault of mine on this one. Always check “hostname -f” prior to running a FQDN sensitive command. Lesson learned.

As for the first issue. It was indeed due to FIPS as a non-FIPS version ran fine. Thank you so much for the quick turnaround.

1 Like

It’s odd - we should have a check for the hostname for that. Did you by any chance skip checks?

If there is a command related to skipping checks, I don’t know what it is.

I believe this was just a goof on my part. I recall the official instructions saying the system needs a FQDN. I had set it in /etc/hosts but didnt check to see if it changed the hostname afterwards.