[katello] How to set "Activation Key" for a Host group?

Hi again,

It may be another RTFM but I'm trying to use the subscription-manager
snippet.

But how do I set the "Activation Key" for a host group?

In the manual:

http://www.katello.org/docs/user_guide/provisioning/index.html

Templates

Katello ships a number of templates in addition to the standard
Foreman ones. When using these templates, if a host has a Host group
with an Activation Key
<http://www.katello.org/docs/user_guide/activation_keys/index.html>,
it will register as a Content Host automatically.

And some outdated? info from googling:

https://github.com/iNecas/foreman-katello-engine/blob/master/README.md

The activation keys are modeled similarly using foreman custom
params. The value entered into 'Activation Keys' is saved
as>kt_activation_keys|custom parameter and can be used in the
kickstart template like other parameters.

I also tried to set the "kt_activation_keys" parameter in the "Host
Group", but it dissappears.

Met vriendelijke groet, With kind regards,

Jorick Astrego

Netbulae Virtualization Experts

··· ----------------
Tel: 053 20 30 270 	info@netbulae.eu 	Staalsteden 4-3A 	KvK 08198180
Fax: 053 20 30 271 	www.netbulae.eu 	7547 TA Enschede 	BTW NL821234584B01

> Hi again,
>
> It may be another RTFM but I'm trying to use the subscription-manager
> snippet.
>
> But how do I set the "Activation Key" for a host group?
>
Hi Jorick,

On the new/edit host groups page there should be an 'activation keys'
tab. There will be a text box, where you can click into it to get a
list of keys you can select. Only keys associated with the same
Environment/Content View will appear.

-Justin

··· On 11/03/2014 08:40 AM, Jorick Astrego wrote:

In the manual:

http://www.katello.org/docs/user_guide/provisioning/index.html

Templates

Katello ships a number of templates in addition to the standard
Foreman ones. When using these templates, if a host has a Host
group with an Activation Key
<http://www.katello.org/docs/user_guide/activation_keys/index.html>,
it will register as a Content Host automatically.

And some outdated? info from googling:

https://github.com/iNecas/foreman-katello-engine/blob/master/README.md

The activation keys are modeled similarly using foreman custom
params. The value entered into 'Activation Keys' is saved
as>kt_activation_keys|custom parameter and can be used in the
kickstart template like other parameters.

I also tried to set the “kt_activation_keys” parameter in the “Host
Group”, but it dissappears.

Jorick Astrego*

Netbulae Virtualization Experts *

Tel: 053 20 30 270 info@netbulae.eu Staalsteden 4-3A KvK 08198180
Fax: 053 20 30 271 www.netbulae.eu 7547 TA Enschede BTW NL821234584B01

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups “Foreman users” group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
mailto:foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com
mailto:foreman-users@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi Justin,

That was the tab I was looking for but it's not there. Neither on the
host group or when creating a new host.

This is from production.log:

Deface: 3 overrides found for &#39;hostgroups/_form&#39;
Deface: &#39;add_activation_keys_tab&#39; matched 1 times with &#39;ul.nav &gt;
code[erb-silent]:contains(&quot;show_organization_tab?&quot;) ~
code[erb-silent]:contains(&quot;end&quot;)&#39;
Deface: &#39;add_activation_keys_tab_pane&#39; matched 1 times with
&#39;code[erb-loud]:contains(&quot;render&quot;):contains(&quot;taxonomies/loc_org_tabs&quot;)&#39;
Deface: &#39;hostgroups_update_environments_select&#39; matched 1 times with
&#39;code[erb-loud]:contains(&quot;select_f&quot;):contains(&quot;:environment_id&quot;)&#39;
   Rendered puppetclasses/_selectedClasses.html.erb (0.0ms)
   Rendered puppetclasses/_classes_in_groups.html.erb (0.0ms)
   Rendered puppetclasses/_classes.html.erb (696.1ms)
   Rendered puppetclasses/_class_selection.html.erb (793.9ms)
   Rendered common/_domain.html.erb (14.5ms)
   Rendered common/_domain_subnet.html.erb (20.8ms)
   Rendered common/os_selection/_architecture.html.erb (15.6ms)
   Rendered common/os_selection/_operatingsystem.html.erb (225.0ms)
   Rendered common/os_selection/_initial.html.erb (247.9ms)
   Rendered puppetclasses/_class_parameters.html.erb (0.0ms)
   Rendered puppetclasses/_classes_parameters.html.erb (19.9ms)
   Rendered common_parameters/_puppetclass_parameter.html.erb (4.6ms)
   Rendered common_parameters/_puppetclasses_parameters.html.erb
(22.5ms)
   Rendered common_parameters/_parameter.html.erb (3.5ms)
   Rendered common_parameters/_parameter.html.erb (1.5ms)
   Rendered common_parameters/_parameters.html.erb (43.1ms)
   Rendered taxonomies/_loc_org_tabs.html.erb (26.3ms)
   Rendered hostgroups/_form.html.erb (1828.2ms)
   Rendered hostgroups/edit.html.erb within layouts/application
(1987.8ms)
   Rendered home/_user_dropdown.html.erb (1.6ms)
Read fragment views/tabs_and_title_records-4 (0.2ms)
   Rendered home/_topbar.html.erb (2.6ms)
   Rendered layouts/base.html.erb (157.3ms)
Completed 200 OK in 2574ms (Views: 2166.2ms | ActiveRecord: 57.1ms)

Jorick Astrego

··· On 11/03/2014 03:27 PM, Justin Sherrill wrote: > On 11/03/2014 08:40 AM, Jorick Astrego wrote: >> Hi again, >> >> It may be another RTFM but I'm trying to use the subscription-manager >> snippet. >> >> But how do I set the "Activation Key" for a host group? >> > Hi Jorick, > > On the new/edit host groups page there should be an 'activation keys' > tab. There will be a text box, where you can click into it to get a > list of keys you can select. Only keys associated with the same > Environment/Content View will appear. > > -Justin

I did some browser debugging and it appears the "Activation keys" tab
doesn't get loaded at all:

··· On 11/03/2014 03:34 PM, Jorick Astrego wrote: > > On 11/03/2014 03:27 PM, Justin Sherrill wrote: >> On 11/03/2014 08:40 AM, Jorick Astrego wrote: >>> Hi again, >>> >>> It may be another RTFM but I'm trying to use the >>> subscription-manager snippet. >>> >>> But how do I set the "Activation Key" for a host group? >>> >> Hi Jorick, >> >> On the new/edit host groups page there should be an 'activation keys' >> tab. There will be a text box, where you can click into it to get a >> list of keys you can select. Only keys associated with the same >> Environment/Content View will appear. >> >> -Justin > > Hi Justin, > > That was the tab I was looking for but it's not there. Neither on the > host group or when creating a new host. > > This is from production.log: > > Deface: 3 overrides found for 'hostgroups/_form' > Deface: 'add_activation_keys_tab' matched 1 times with 'ul.nav > > code[erb-silent]:contains("show_organization_tab?") ~ > code[erb-silent]:contains("end")' > Deface: 'add_activation_keys_tab_pane' matched 1 times with > 'code[erb-loud]:contains("render"):contains("taxonomies/loc_org_tabs")' > Deface: 'hostgroups_update_environments_select' matched 1 times > with 'code[erb-loud]:contains("select_f"):contains(":environment_id")' > Rendered puppetclasses/_selectedClasses.html.erb (0.0ms) > Rendered puppetclasses/_classes_in_groups.html.erb (0.0ms) > Rendered puppetclasses/_classes.html.erb (696.1ms) > Rendered puppetclasses/_class_selection.html.erb (793.9ms) > Rendered common/_domain.html.erb (14.5ms) > Rendered common/_domain_subnet.html.erb (20.8ms) > Rendered common/os_selection/_architecture.html.erb (15.6ms) > Rendered common/os_selection/_operatingsystem.html.erb (225.0ms) > Rendered common/os_selection/_initial.html.erb (247.9ms) > Rendered puppetclasses/_class_parameters.html.erb (0.0ms) > Rendered puppetclasses/_classes_parameters.html.erb (19.9ms) > Rendered common_parameters/_puppetclass_parameter.html.erb (4.6ms) > Rendered common_parameters/_puppetclasses_parameters.html.erb > (22.5ms) > Rendered common_parameters/_parameter.html.erb (3.5ms) > Rendered common_parameters/_parameter.html.erb (1.5ms) > Rendered common_parameters/_parameters.html.erb (43.1ms) > Rendered taxonomies/_loc_org_tabs.html.erb (26.3ms) > Rendered hostgroups/_form.html.erb (1828.2ms) > Rendered hostgroups/edit.html.erb within layouts/application > (1987.8ms) > Rendered home/_user_dropdown.html.erb (1.6ms) > Read fragment views/tabs_and_title_records-4 (0.2ms) > Rendered home/_topbar.html.erb (2.6ms) > Rendered layouts/base.html.erb (157.3ms) > Completed 200 OK in 2574ms (Views: 2166.2ms | ActiveRecord: 57.1ms) > > > > > > Met vriendelijke groet, With kind regards, > > Jorick Astrego* > > Netbulae Virtualization Experts * > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > Tel: 053 20 30 270 info@netbulae.eu Staalsteden 4-3A KvK 08198180 > Fax: 053 20 30 271 www.netbulae.eu 7547 TA Enschede BTW NL821234584B01 > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > Groups "Foreman users" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > an email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > . > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com > . > Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Jorick Astrego

Ok did some more debugging and it was indeed a RTFM

I didn't test this before but when I add/edit a host group and set
"Lifecycle Environment" and "Content View", the "Activation Keys" tab
appears. I didn't pick the Content View before.

When I add/edit a new host (this is what I also tested before) the
"Activation Keys" never shows as it's a "Host Group" setting as
specified in the documentation.

Still learning but we are getting there :wink:

Kind regards,

Jorick

··· On 11/04/2014 12:07 PM, Jorick Astrego wrote: > I did some browser debugging and it appears the "Activation keys" tab > doesn't get loaded at all: > > > > On 11/03/2014 03:34 PM, Jorick Astrego wrote: >> >> On 11/03/2014 03:27 PM, Justin Sherrill wrote: >>> On 11/03/2014 08:40 AM, Jorick Astrego wrote: >>>> Hi again, >>>> >>>> It may be another RTFM but I'm trying to use the >>>> subscription-manager snippet. >>>> >>>> But how do I set the "Activation Key" for a host group? >>>> >>> Hi Jorick, >>> >>> On the new/edit host groups page there should be an 'activation >>> keys' tab. There will be a text box, where you can click into it to >>> get a list of keys you can select. Only keys associated with the >>> same Environment/Content View will appear. >>> >>> -Justin >> >> Hi Justin, >> >> That was the tab I was looking for but it's not there. Neither on the >> host group or when creating a new host. >> >> This is from production.log: >> >> Deface: 3 overrides found for 'hostgroups/_form' >> Deface: 'add_activation_keys_tab' matched 1 times with 'ul.nav > >> code[erb-silent]:contains("show_organization_tab?") ~ >> code[erb-silent]:contains("end")' >> Deface: 'add_activation_keys_tab_pane' matched 1 times with >> 'code[erb-loud]:contains("render"):contains("taxonomies/loc_org_tabs")' >> Deface: 'hostgroups_update_environments_select' matched 1 times >> with >> 'code[erb-loud]:contains("select_f"):contains(":environment_id")' >> Rendered puppetclasses/_selectedClasses.html.erb (0.0ms) >> Rendered puppetclasses/_classes_in_groups.html.erb (0.0ms) >> Rendered puppetclasses/_classes.html.erb (696.1ms) >> Rendered puppetclasses/_class_selection.html.erb (793.9ms) >> Rendered common/_domain.html.erb (14.5ms) >> Rendered common/_domain_subnet.html.erb (20.8ms) >> Rendered common/os_selection/_architecture.html.erb (15.6ms) >> Rendered common/os_selection/_operatingsystem.html.erb (225.0ms) >> Rendered common/os_selection/_initial.html.erb (247.9ms) >> Rendered puppetclasses/_class_parameters.html.erb (0.0ms) >> Rendered puppetclasses/_classes_parameters.html.erb (19.9ms) >> Rendered common_parameters/_puppetclass_parameter.html.erb (4.6ms) >> Rendered common_parameters/_puppetclasses_parameters.html.erb >> (22.5ms) >> Rendered common_parameters/_parameter.html.erb (3.5ms) >> Rendered common_parameters/_parameter.html.erb (1.5ms) >> Rendered common_parameters/_parameters.html.erb (43.1ms) >> Rendered taxonomies/_loc_org_tabs.html.erb (26.3ms) >> Rendered hostgroups/_form.html.erb (1828.2ms) >> Rendered hostgroups/edit.html.erb within layouts/application >> (1987.8ms) >> Rendered home/_user_dropdown.html.erb (1.6ms) >> Read fragment views/tabs_and_title_records-4 (0.2ms) >> Rendered home/_topbar.html.erb (2.6ms) >> Rendered layouts/base.html.erb (157.3ms) >> Completed 200 OK in 2574ms (Views: 2166.2ms | ActiveRecord: 57.1ms) >> >> >> >> >> >> Met vriendelijke groet, With kind regards, >> >> Jorick Astrego* >> >> Netbulae Virtualization Experts * >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------ >> Tel: 053 20 30 270 info@netbulae.eu Staalsteden 4-3A KvK 08198180 >> Fax: 053 20 30 271 www.netbulae.eu 7547 TA Enschede BTW >> NL821234584B01 >> >> >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------ >> >> -- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google >> Groups "Foreman users" group. >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, >> send an email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com >> . >> To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com >> . >> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users. >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. > > > > > Met vriendelijke groet, With kind regards, > > Jorick Astrego* > > Netbulae Virtualization Experts * > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > Tel: 053 20 30 270 info@netbulae.eu Staalsteden 4-3A KvK 08198180 > Fax: 053 20 30 271 www.netbulae.eu 7547 TA Enschede BTW NL821234584B01 > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google > Groups "Foreman users" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send > an email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > . > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com > . > Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Jorick Astrego