Katello Server belly up. How do I reset all of my clients to get updates from their respective OS site

Problem: Too many issues with Katello

Expected outcome: reset clients to get updates from respective OS (e.g. redhat, centos, ubuntu)

Foreman and Proxy versions: 3.1

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions: unknown

Distribution and version:

Other relevant data:

When you register to Katello, it creates a backup of your previous subscription-manager configuration in /etc/rhsm/rhsm.conf.bak. For a RHEL system you will see subscription.rhsm.redhat.com for the server name:

$ cat /etc/rhsm/rhsm.conf.bak

[server]
# Server hostname:
hostname = subscription.rhsm.redhat.com

So, to restore the previous configuration you can do

cp /etc/rhsm/rhsm.conf.bak /etc/rhsm/rhsm.conf

Then run

subscription-manager clean

and your system will be ready to register to a non-Katello registration server again.

As a side note, if you’d like to dig in to any of the specific issues you had, I’m sure people will be happy to help if you make new posts here.

I will definitely try that ASAP. How about other distributions like ubuntu / centos is it the same except for “subscription-manager clean”?

Those instructions are for subscription-manager. (rhsm.conf is subscription-manager’s configuration file.) They will apply for CentOS and RHEL. I know Atix publishes a subscription-manager for Debian, so that might apply there as well if you’re using it.