Mcollective + Choria client + Puppet Run Failure

Problem:
The root user is not allowed to run the mco command due to a limitation with the choria client (security). So I set the mcollective user to foreman_proxy and made appropriate changes to sudoers file.

The foreman-proxy tries to use sudo when executing mco. I manually executed the same command as the foreman-proxy and get the following output:

user foreman-proxy is not allowed to execute '/opt/puppetlabs/bin/mco puppet runonce -I <REDACTED>

The foreman-proxy user can execute the mco command without sudo without trouble.

Expected outcome:
Puppet Run should be able to use mco without issues sudo so that mco can kick puppet agents.

Foreman and Proxy versions:

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

That sounds a lot like the sudo issue we saw on Ubuntu. Could you try this patch and report if it works? If it does, we should cherry pick it into 1.17.2:

https://github.com/theforeman/smart-proxy/commit/6e81b2ed589061348076ea021411ed65d69d47ce

2 Likes

I wrote a small script to test out the patch.

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/sudo -u foreman-proxy /opt/puppetlabs/bin/mco ping
/usr/bin/sudo -Hu foreman-proxy /opt/puppetlabs/bin/mco ping
/opt/puppetlabs/bin/mco ping

I ran the following command:
sudo su -s /bin/bash foreman-proxy

Then ran the script.
For both sudo commands, I get the following error

Sorry, user foreman-proxy is not allowed to execute '/opt/puppetlabs/bin/mco ping

But for the non-sudo case, the command succeeds.

Sounds like the sudo config you have still isn’t quite right.

Until that patch is released you can work around it by adding a file to /etc/sudoers.d that looks like this. I don’t think you can set mcollective_user to foreman-proxy though as that user normally has it’s shell set to /bin/false. We use another system account specifically for the purpose so the choria certs can be secured properly and not kept in /usr/share/foreman-proxy.

change mcollective_user to the service account of your choice

Defaults:foreman-proxy !requiretty
Defaults:foreman-proxy env_keep -= \"HOME\"
foreman-proxy ALL = (mcollective_user) NOPASSWD : /opt/puppetlabs/bin/mco puppet runonce *

after the patch the following line will not be required

Defaults:foreman-proxy env_keep -= \"HOME\"

cheers

Matt

1 Like

The patch plus the changes to the foreman-proxy sudoers file worked!

The problem is that the foreman-proxy suoders file is controlled by the foreman-proxy puppet module. So I have to keep puppet turned off otherwise, puppet will revert my changes.

Just put it in another file next to the foreman-proxy file that puppet doesn’t know about. We use another module to deploy the config. Snippit:

2 Likes

We should probably modify the puppet module to set up the sudo line around here for the mcollective provider as well:

2 Likes

Yeah I meant to put something together for that and make a PR. I’ll do it as soon as I can.

1 Like

Probably not worth doing as MCO has been deprecated in puppet 6. I guess we should start looking at Bolt!

Choria isn’t going away though so may be worth keeping it in depending on how many move over to keep the functionality. https://choria.io/

Bolt will be cool if we don’t have to put shared ssh keys in admin accounts everywhere, I believe it supports kerberos.