More on environments

1 - Assigning classes that are only in the development environment to a node that is in the production environment doesn't meet with any resistance whatsoever, is this intentional?

2 - Using foreman's ENC, it seems that whatever I put into a client's puppet.conf for environment is not picked up at all by foreman. I vaguely recall reading in the documentation that I haven't been able to find the reference again that the 'agent' setting in puppet.conf rules the day.

I was hoping to just use a template file for puppet.conf that had "environment = <%= environment %>' but foreman's ENC has no impact on this and I still have to maintain it manually at the client - which is fine but still the assignment or a node's environment within foreman's web app seems indifferent to everything. Is this intentional?

··· -- Craig White ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ craig.white@ttiltd.com 1.800.869.6908 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ www.ttiassessments.com

Need help communicating between generations at work to achieve your desired success? Let us help!

> 1 - Assigning classes that are only in the development environment to a node that is in the production environment doesn't meet with any resistance whatsoever, is this intentional?
that was fixed at Feature #762: Check class assignment consistency - Foreman

>
> 2 - Using foreman's ENC, it seems that whatever I put into a client's puppet.conf for environment is not picked up at all by foreman. I vaguely recall reading in the documentation that I haven't been able to find the reference again that the 'agent' setting in puppet.conf rules the day.

this actually a bug in puppet (dont remember the bug number) which
ignores the environment that is coming from ENC.

a simple workaround would be to export to puppet via ENC (so it looks
like a parameter/fact) are foreman attributes, e.g.
foreman_hostgroup
foreman_environment

If want something like that, feel free to add a new feature request.

Ohad

··· On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 12:30 AM, Craig White wrote: > > I was hoping to just use a template file for puppet.conf that had "environment = <%= environment %>' but foreman's ENC has no impact on this and I still have to maintain it manually at the client - which is fine but still the assignment or a node's environment within foreman's web app seems indifferent to everything. Is this intentional? > > -- > Craig White ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ craig.white@ttiltd.com > 1.800.869.6908 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ www.ttiassessments.com > > Need help communicating between generations at work to achieve your desired success? Let us help! > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Foreman users" group. > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en. > >