I thought it would be useful to share my experience with OBS Studio, particularly information about resolution, framerate and audio filters for recording screencasts of Foreman or other web or desktop applications. Threfore I recorded a short tutorial:
Here is the document with all my notes:
- Target resolution: 1280x720 (720p)
- Framerate: 10 FPS (to save bandwidth for sharper image)
- Bitrate: 2500kbps video / 160kbps audio (default values)
- Codec: Software x264 CBR (Constant Bit Rate)
- Audio filters: Noise Gate and Limiter
The resulting file size is about 1 GB per one hour and the settings are ideal either for YouTube (which will re-encode it to other codecs) or for further processing (editing, final encoding). I think 720p good for YouTube which is optimized for TV (not desktop) and it is sharp enough for readable text while maintaining reasonable file size with CBR (low-CPU usage during encoding even on older machines).