New host detail page feedback (Foreman 3.0+)

Even if I have basic programming skills, I an not really a developer, more a “power user”, but I can for sure provide SCAP “input/feedback” if needed.
Hosts can for sure have multiple SCAP policies applied like when you want to roll out a new policy and see how it works on old hosts before switching.

1 Like

Great feedback, this is already possible in Foreman 3.5, introduced by Bug #35176: Hosts "New UI" no way to review templates - Foreman

If I get that correctly, the last remote execution status is determined by the overall job status, not the status for a particular host from that job. If that’s the case, I agree that’s not a great behavior. @aruzicka when you’re back, could you please confirm? :christmas_tree:

This I think is the same thing I replied to in the first paragraph. See how it looks at Foreman Community Demo #118 - YouTube, it should be in 3.5 already. We’ll be happy to hear feedback on this too :slight_smile:

Gotcha, let’s see if we can find someone to work on that. We should start first with the design, I’ll talk with our UXD.

Thanks everyone for wonderful feedback so far. I’ve renamed the thread so it better represents the topic. Please keep it coming.

Thank you Marek :slight_smile: It looks great and works, however, I wasn’t aware we need to turn on “experimental tabs” in the config in order to see the “Details” tab at all in the new host UI. Has this been officially included in 3.5 or is it still in preview?

It’s moving outside of experimental labs in Foreman 3.6: Refactor #35839: New host details - Move Details tab out of experimental labs - Foreman

But at this point it’s pretty full-featured; I wouldn’t hesitate to use it in 3.5 if you want to. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Should we consider cherrypicking this change to 3.5.z? I think it was the intention to have it fully supported with 3.5 :slight_smile:

+1

cc @MariaAga @ekohl

I suggested it, but @MariaAga was against it:

That’s correct.

Thanks!

Since foreman_column_view has been sunset now, let me come back to this idea: Would one of the UI/UX devs be interested to add a way to add a custom card, showing custom facts?

With this, I think we’d have full feature parity to the old host details page (and of course more features in addition). As it is now, there is no replacement for foreman_column_view for the new host detail page, i.e. no way to add custom facts which may be site-specific (such as the programmed rtcwake time which is of interest for us, but not of general interest).

1 Like

One thing I am missing is a quick way to update a host. Would be nice to have like the Errata card, an Update card that shows how many updates are available and a button/action to update everything now with maybe an option to also automatically solve traces after the update.

Are you asking for

• a Packages card that shows installable updates and has an Install All button?
  • an Apply All button on the existing Errata card?

or something else?

I just feel like after the content hosts dialog went away:

Nothing similar seems to have replaced it (unless I missed something).

Would be nice to see some quick update actions you can do from the host page that does not require you to go through the remote execution dialog and then enter it again to solve any traces.

I quite like the 3-dotted dialog you can open for on some cards to perform actions. Thought perhaps update actions could be one of them.

Buy yes, I guess a new card for Packages is needed since if they do not have an errata they would be visable here.

Going back to what @olifre mentioned, foreman_column_view provided the ability to add a column based on any fact. The selectable columns feature doesn’t quite provide the same level of customization as it’s limited to a small number of pre-programmed facts, so although the functionality has been integrated into Foreman, it doesn’t have the capability that it did as a plugin.

Is there any way to add a custom column without having to dive into the inner workings of the code?

2 Likes

Since foreman_column_view has been sunset now, let me come back to this idea: Would one of the UI/UX devs be interested to add a way to add a custom card, showing custom facts?

With this, I think we’d have full feature parity to the old host details page (and of course more features in addition). As it is now, there is no replacement for foreman_column_view for the new host detail page, i.e. no way to add custom facts which may be site-specific (such as the programmed rtcwake time which is of interest for us, but not of general interest).

I would love to have it as well.
Predifined list of columns is simply not enough.

1 Like

I see a popular demand here for the custom facts card. Given how old this thread is and how popular the demand is, it may be good to simply go ahead and open an RFE. I’m not aware of anyone working on this right now, but I’m sure devs would be happy to help if anyone picks it up and would need help.

I can imagine a setting which would contain a list of fact names to be displayed in such widget :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Are there instructions anywhere on how to add more column views with this new method? I would like to see salt env/salt masters, etc. Along with some custom facts. Was just about to install foreman_column_view and saw it was deprecated.

Are you talking about the overview (list) page? We do plan to add customizable columns to that later. It will work the same way it does on the old list page.

1 Like

Jeremy, the common reuqest is that users would like to add custom columns that they would define. The foreman_column_view plugin allowed to define ruby syntax to load a value for custom column. So it’s not about customization of what predefine columns the user would see on that page, but defining additional columns that can be then selected. Typically people add some specific fact value.

Jeff, at this point, we don’t have such functionality implemented. The way that foreman_column_view used was problematic, as specifying something in that file could have broken the entire page (e.g. if it loaded data sub-optimally). These were hard to debug problems. Instead, we were trying to add as many as possible predefined columns in the core functionality. It’s relatively easy to add more, but for some values, such as values from custom facts, it’s clear it won’t work. Not sure what is the best course of action here.

2 Likes

I could see adding a card to the details page where you could choose custom facts to display on the card. Now that we’ve improved the loading speed of facts, perhaps we could even add this as a customizable column too.

2 Likes

That’s a good point. For single host, that’s likely easy. For the host overview, that would still mean performing the facts query per one host right? We’d have to perform the JOIN there in some smart way too.

2 Likes