Sunsetting foreman_column_view

The plugin is obsolete now with the new option to add columns to the host overview and the host detail view being redesigned.
So if noone disagrees and still sees some use case, I would like to see it sunsetted.
Steps would be:

• Archiving the project
  • Remove from installer
  • Remove from puppet module
  • Obsolete and remove the package
  • Remove the link from the plugins overview on the homepage

Is there some need of migrations to remove some leftover from the database?

I can take over all steps except from archiving via some PR, so for archiving someone else is needed.

3 Likes

As there was no objection, I started the sunsetting process:

2 Likes

I am sorry that I am only seeing this now, via the activity on GitHub today — we have used the feature (also provided as part of foreman_column_view) to extend the classic / legacy host detail page with various fields.

This was extremely helpful to add custom facts, you can find examples from us here:

Some of these are of course part of the new host details page and now built-in this way, which is great — but there is currently no way (I believe) to add a custom card / a card with self-chosen content (e.g. from custom facts) to the new host details page. @ekohl mentioned in
New host detail page feedback (Foreman 3.0+) - #46 by ekohl
that he agrees that it would be useful to have this functionality built-in such that sites can add custom cards.

I am not sure whether the most likely way to go would be to add this built-in or adapt foreman_column_view to provide only the “extend host details page with a customized part” functionality, updated to the new host details page?

As the plugin is using a very different solution (deface instead of react), a new one or also directly providing this feature in Foreman itself would totally make sense. Unfortunately I lack the skills to do so, so I recommend catching someone from UI/UX.

1 Like

Thanks for the response!
I have bumped the idea over in the new host details page feedback thread, which (I hope) has some UI/UX developers listening in:

And of course, thanks for maintaining foreman_column_view in the past years, it has been very helpful to us!

Just as update of the process:

• Archiving the project - still open
  • Remove from installer - :white_check_mark:
  • Remove from puppet module - :white_check_mark:
  • Obsolete and remove the package - :white_check_mark:
  • Remove the link from the plugins overview on the homepage - still open

removed it from the plugin list, merged your readme PR and archived the project

I think this warrants an upgrade warning for 3.7 as we did with other plugins.

Thanks, so all done as ekohl asked already for an issue with the installer changes to track it for release notes.