OpenSCAP plugin / puppet classes, what am I doing wrong or missing?

Problem:
CentOS 7 Foreman standalone install (no failures during install), after installing OpenSCAP plugin the OpenScap Puppet classes don’t appear in Configure>Puppet>Classes and “import environments from…” button returns "no changes.

Foreman with Katello install (no failures during install), OpenSCAP all seems to work correctly after install, can import puppet classes and move on to configure OpenSCAP policies.

Grateful if anybody can suggest what I am doing wrong or missing?

Expected outcome:
Following installation of standalone foreman and OpenSCAP plugin I am hoping to see the foreman_scap classes available in order to move on and assign a policy after uploading content. As classes don’t appear, cannot create a policy.

Confused as to why foreman/katello install works but foreman on its own does not.

Foreman and Proxy versions:
Occurs on 2.0.1 stable, also 2.0 release candidates, Also occurs on 2.1 release candidates. Version info below from 2.0.1 release.

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:
foreman-release-2.0.1-1.el7.noarch
foreman-release-scl-7-2.el7.noarch
rubygem-foreman_maintain-0.6.2-1.el7.noarch
foreman-selinux-2.0.1-1.el7.noarch
foreman-installer-2.0.1-1.el7.noarch
foreman-debug-2.0.1-1.el7.noarch
foreman-2.0.1-1.el7.noarch
foreman-postgresql-2.0.1-1.el7.noarch
foreman-dynflow-sidekiq-2.0.1-1.el7.noarch
foreman-proxy-2.0.1-1.el7.noarch
tfm-rubygem-hammer_cli_foreman-2.0.2-1.el7.noarch
foreman-cli-2.0.1-1.el7.noarch
foreman-vmware-2.0.1-1.el7.noarch
tfm-rubygem-foreman_fog_proxmox-0.11.1-1.fm2_0.el7.noarch
tfm-rubygem-foreman-tasks-core-0.3.4-1.fm2_0.el7.noarch
tfm-rubygem-foreman_remote_execution_core-1.3.0-1.el7.noarch
tfm-rubygem-foreman-tasks-1.1.1-1.fm2_0.el7.noarch
tfm-rubygem-foreman_remote_execution-3.2.1-1.fm2_0.el7.noarch

openscap-1.2.17-9.el7.x86_64
openscap-scanner-1.2.17-9.el7.x86_64
scap-security-guide-0.1.46-11.el7.centos.noarch
tfm-rubygem-foreman_openscap-3.0.0-1.fm2_0.el7.noarch
tfm-rubygem-openscap-0.4.7-3.el7.noarch
tfm-rubygem-smart_proxy_openscap-0.7.2-3.fm2_0.el7.noarch
puppet-foreman_scap_client-0.3.23-1.el7.noarch

Distribution and version:
CentOS 7.8.2003 x86_64

Other relevant data:

Per above, classes seem to show up correctly if using foreman/katello install but not on standalone. Grateful for any pointers and/or extra log files to inspect.

Hoping someone can shed some light. No matter what version, 2.0rc, 2.0.1, 2.1 it always works when installing foreman/katello but not foreman on its own:

Am I making some kind of schoolboy error when deploying? Both installations return no error yet its only the katello-based install that shows the puppet modules for import.

So grateful if any pointers!

1 yum install https://yum.puppet.com/puppet6-release-el-7.noarch.rpm
2 yum install http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-7.noarch.rpm
3 yum install https://yum.theforeman.org/releases/2.0/el7/x86_64/foreman-release.rpm
4 yum install https://fedorapeople.org/groups/katello/releases/yum/3.16/katello/el7/x86_64/katello-repos-latest.rpm
5 yum install foreman-release-scl
6 yum install katello
7 foreman-installer --scenario katello --enable-foreman-plugin-openscap --enable-foreman-proxy-plugin-openscap
8 yum install puppet-foreman_scap_client

Right after step 8, puppet classes show up under Configure > Puppet > Classes > Import and import just fine

1 yum install https://yum.puppet.com/puppet6-release-el-7.noarch.rpm
2 yum install http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-7.noarch.rpm
3 yum install https://yum.theforeman.org/releases/2.0/el7/x86_64/foreman-release.rpm
4 yum install foreman-release-scl
5 yum install foreman-installer
6 foreman-installer --enable-foreman-plugin-openscap --enable-foreman-proxy-plugin-openscap
7 yum install puppet-foreman_scap_client

After step 7, puppet classes do not show up at all under Configure > Puppet > Classes > Import

So, installing from RPM does not work in the “standalone” scenario as detailed above.

HOWEVER, after removing the rpm (yum erase puppet-foreman_scap_client) and its stdlib dependency, it would appear to work correctly from a command-line install

puppet module install theforeman-foreman_scap_client

puppet module install theforeman-foreman_scap_client
Notice: Preparing to install into /etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules …
Notice: Downloading from https://forgeapi.puppet.com
Notice: Installing – do not interrupt …
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules
└─┬ theforeman-foreman_scap_client (v0.4.0)
└── puppetlabs-stdlib (v5.2.0)

Now when I visit Configure > Puppet > Classes I see the foreman_scap_client and depedency stdlib classes showing correctly and can configure openscap properly.

Anbody care to comment on this behaviour please?

Hi,
apologies for a late response, the puppet classes are packaged and should be available via puppet-foreman_scap_client rpm. I’ll need to take a closer look why they fail to show for import without katello, seems like this might be a bug.

Hello,
No need to apologise at all, this is after all a community, thank you for looking and I hope my description provides info. If I can provide any log files at all to assist, or test any updated rpm, please let me know!

As described, server-side now working from puppet module install. My clients pick up “a” configuration on a puppet run and now trying to understand provisioning of missing scap data to clients - again without katello - I’m sure its my current lack of understanding on this.

Per above, happy to help in testing/log files etc.
Thanks!

1 Like

The puppet module picks up configuration from foreman to determine how to deploy foreman_scap_client to the target host - the docs section on foreman_openscap plugin should contain the details on how to get everything working properly.

I’d suggest looking at the paths Puppetserver is configured to look at. puppet config print | grep module shows them and modulepath is the most important one. The RPM should install to /usr/share/puppet/modules (but can be checked with rpm -ql puppet-foreman_scap_client) so that should be in the modulepath. If it isn’t, that’s the most likely cause.

Thank you both - I’ve had head in docs all morning since I got the server module working with puppet module install. its my learning to discover how to deploy content to clients without katello - I can do it with katello fine with a TLS client connecting to port 9090… researching all the bits to do it without katello for myself.

Regarding paths, output from both test machines with and without katello appears to be identical:-

puppet config print | grep module

basemodulepath = /etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/common:/etc/puppetlabs/code/modules:/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/modules:/usr/share/puppet/modules
module_groups =
module_repository = https://forgeapi.puppet.com
module_working_dir = /opt/puppetlabs/puppet/cache/puppet-module
modulepath = /etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules:/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/common:/etc/puppetlabs/code/modules:/opt/puppetlabs/puppet/modules:/usr/share/puppet/modules
vendormoduledir = /opt/puppetlabs/puppet/vendor_modules

Regarding rpm -ql output as follows;

rpm -ql puppet-foreman_scap_client

/usr/share/doc/puppet-foreman_scap_client-0.4.0
/usr/share/doc/puppet-foreman_scap_client-0.4.0/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/puppet-foreman_scap_client-0.4.0/NEWS
/usr/share/doc/puppet-foreman_scap_client-0.4.0/README.md
/usr/share/puppet/modules/foreman_scap_client
/usr/share/puppet/modules/foreman_scap_client/COPYING
/usr/share/puppet/modules/foreman_scap_client/Gemfile
/usr/share/puppet/modules/foreman_scap_client/NEWS
/usr/share/puppet/modules/foreman_scap_client/README.md
/usr/share/puppet/modules/foreman_scap_client/Rakefile
/usr/share/puppet/modules/foreman_scap_client/lib
/usr/share/puppet/modules/foreman_scap_client/lib/facter
/usr/share/puppet/modules/foreman_scap_client/lib/facter/rh_certificates.rb
/usr/share/puppet/modules/foreman_scap_client/manifests
/usr/share/puppet/modules/foreman_scap_client/manifests/init.pp
/usr/share/puppet/modules/foreman_scap_client/manifests/params.pp
/usr/share/puppet/modules/foreman_scap_client/metadata.json
/usr/share/puppet/modules/foreman_scap_client/templates
/usr/share/puppet/modules/foreman_scap_client/templates/config.yaml.erb
/usr/share/puppet/modules/foreman_scap_client/templates/cron.erb

One thing I did notice is that the puppet module install seems to have deployed a later version than contained within the rpm package, if I am interpreting the filenames correctly;

locate foreman_scap_client

/etc/foreman_scap_client
/etc/cron.d/foreman_scap_client_cron
/etc/foreman_scap_client/config.yaml
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client/.fixtures.yml
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client/.git
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client/.gitignore
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client/.travis.yml
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client/COPYING
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client/Gemfile
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client/NEWS
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client/README.md
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client/Rakefile
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client/lib
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client/manifests
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client/metadata.json
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client/spec
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client/templates
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client/lib/facter
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client/lib/facter/rh_certificates.rb
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client/manifests/init.pp
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client/manifests/params.pp
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client/spec/classes
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client/spec/spec_helper.rb
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client/spec/classes/init_spec.rb
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client/templates/config.yaml.erb
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules/foreman_scap_client/templates/cron.erb
/usr/bin/foreman_scap_client
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman_scap_client-0.4.6
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman_scap_client-0.4.6/LICENSE
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman_scap_client-0.4.6/bin
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman_scap_client-0.4.6/config
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman_scap_client-0.4.6/lib
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman_scap_client-0.4.6/bin/foreman_scap_client
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman_scap_client-0.4.6/config/config.yaml.example
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman_scap_client-0.4.6/lib/foreman_scap_client
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman_scap_client-0.4.6/lib/foreman_scap_client.rb
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman_scap_client-0.4.6/lib/foreman_scap_client/client.rb
/usr/share/gems/gems/foreman_scap_client-0.4.6/lib/foreman_scap_client/version.rb
/usr/share/gems/specifications/foreman_scap_client-0.4.6.gemspec

Thank you for looking at this - caution don’t rule out the possibility that I’ve stupidly missed a step or missing some vital component!

Additional info today, built a test foreman server on CentOS 8, using version 2.1 of foreman, “standalone”/puppet as above, ie no Katello.

foreman-installer --enable-foreman-plugin-openscap --enable-foreman-proxy-plugin-openscap completed successfully with no errors.

Same symptoms encountered when installing RPM version of puppet-foreman_scap_client, classes do not show up. If I remove RPM and install using “puppet module install puppet-foreman_scap_client” then the classes show up correctly.

versions of (broken?) RPMs for EL8 the server pulled from plugins repo follow:

=====================================================================================================================================================
 Package                                        Architecture               Version                         Repository                           Size
=====================================================================================================================================================
Installing:
 puppet-foreman_scap_client                     noarch                     0.4.0-1.el8                     foreman-plugins                      22 k
Installing dependencies:
 puppetlabs-stdlib                              noarch                     5.2.0-1.el8                     foreman-plugins                     126 k

Workaround identified but I’d love to know in due course whats up with the rpm(s),

I tested today the import on Centos8, everything worked as expected. Foreman picked up the classes installed into /usr/share/puppet:

Hello,
Didnt happen this end. I have just built another CentOS 8.2.2004 machine and again, same symptoms. Please do tell me if I’m missing anything out the installer, I don’t believe so.

Quick edit to add SELINUX is permissive, /tmp and /var/tmp (bind mount) are NOT mounted noexec.

As before, an installation from RPM does not seem to permit the puppet classes to show up when importing environment from host. Whether its the RPM at fault or some other dependency I simply do not know. I can fail this consistently.

The workaround of performing a “puppet module install” does however continue to make the modules show up. I can make this work consistently.

Heres the entire install transcript from a minimal fully patched CentOS 8.2.2004 install using rpm only, to the point where logging in and pressing “import environments from” does not work.

End of banner message from server
admin@foreman-centos8's password:
[admin@foreman-centos8 ~]$ su -
Password:
Last login: Mon Jul 20 11:22:17 UTC 2020 on tty1
[root@foreman-centos8 ~]# dnf update
Last metadata expiration check: 0:32:37 ago on Mon 20 Jul 2020 10:52:14 UTC.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!

[root@foreman-centos8 ~]# firewall-cmd --zone=public --permanent --add-service=https
success
[root@foreman-centos8 ~]# firewall-cmd --zone=public --permanent --add-service=http
success
[root@foreman-centos8 ~]# firewall-cmd --zone=public --permanent --add-port=8140/tcp
success
[root@foreman-centos8 ~]# firewall-cmd --zone=public --permanent --add-port=8443/tcp
success
[root@foreman-centos8 ~]# systemctl restart firewalld

[root@foreman-centos8 ~]# yum install https://yum.puppet.com/puppet6-release-el-8.noarch.rpm
Last metadata expiration check: 0:34:18 ago on Mon 20 Jul 2020 10:52:14 UTC.
puppet6-release-el-8.noarch.rpm                                                                                      100 kB/s |  14 kB     00:00
Dependencies resolved.
 Package                                Architecture                  Version                              Repository                           Size
Installing:
 puppet6-release                        noarch                        6.0.0-10.el8                         @commandline                         14 k

Transaction Summary
Install  1 Package

Total size: 14 k
Installed size: 5.1 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
Running transaction check
Transaction check succeeded.
Running transaction test
Transaction test succeeded.
Running transaction
  Preparing        :                                                                                                                             1/1
  Running scriptlet: puppet6-release-6.0.0-10.el8.noarch                                                                                         1/1
  Installing       : puppet6-release-6.0.0-10.el8.noarch                                                                                         1/1
  Running scriptlet: puppet6-release-6.0.0-10.el8.noarch                                                                                         1/1
  Verifying        : puppet6-release-6.0.0-10.el8.noarch                                                                                         1/1

Installed:
  puppet6-release-6.0.0-10.el8.noarch

Complete!

[root@foreman-centos8 ~]# yum install https://yum.theforeman.org/releases/2.1/el8/x86_64/foreman-release.rpm
Puppet 6 Repository el 8 - x86_64                                                                                     12 MB/s |  18 MB     00:01
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:05 ago on Mon 20 Jul 2020 11:26:51 UTC.
foreman-release.rpm                                                                                                   51 kB/s |  12 kB     00:00
Dependencies resolved.
 Package                                Architecture                  Version                              Repository                           Size
Installing:
 foreman-release                        noarch                        2.1.0-1.el8                          @commandline                         12 k

Transaction Summary
Install  1 Package

Total size: 12 k
Installed size: 2.8 k
Downloading Packages:
Running transaction test
Running transaction
  Preparing        :                                                                                                                             1/1
  Installing       : foreman-release-2.1.0-1.el8.noarch                                                                                          1/1
  Verifying        : foreman-release-2.1.0-1.el8.noarch                                                                                          1/1

Installed:
  foreman-release-2.1.0-1.el8.noarch

Complete!

[root@foreman-centos8 ~]# yum install foreman-installer
Foreman plugins 2.1                                                                                                  3.3 MB/s | 1.2 MB     00:00
Foreman 2.1                                                                                                          7.3 MB/s | 2.0 MB     00:00
Dependencies resolved.
 Package                                 Architecture          Version                                                Repository                Size
Installing:
 foreman-installer                       noarch                1:2.1.0-1.el8                                          foreman                  1.7 M
Installing dependencies:
 foreman-selinux                         noarch                2.1.0-1.el8                                            foreman                   54 k
 puppet-agent                            x86_64                6.17.0-1.el8                                           puppet6                   26 M
 ruby                                    x86_64                2.5.5-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7                  AppStream                 86 k
 ruby-irb                                noarch                2.5.5-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7                  AppStream                102 k
 ruby-libs                               x86_64                2.5.5-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7                  AppStream                2.9 M
 rubygem-ansi                            noarch                1.5.0-2.el8                                            foreman                   32 k
 rubygem-clamp                           noarch                1.1.2-6.el8                                            foreman                   33 k
 rubygem-foreman_maintain                noarch                1:0.6.6-1.el8                                          foreman                  155 k
 rubygem-hashie                          noarch                3.6.0-2.el8                                            foreman                   36 k
 rubygem-highline                        noarch                1.7.8-5.el8                                            foreman                   42 k
 rubygem-io-console                      x86_64                0.4.6-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7                  AppStream                 66 k
 rubygem-json                            x86_64                2.1.0-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7                  AppStream                 90 k
 rubygem-kafo                            noarch                4.1.0-3.el8                                            foreman                   75 k
 rubygem-kafo_parsers                    noarch                1.1.0-3.el8                                            foreman                   15 k
 rubygem-kafo_wizards                    noarch                0.0.1-4.el8                                            foreman                   16 k
 rubygem-little-plugger                  noarch                1.1.4-2.el8                                            foreman                   16 k
 rubygem-logging                         noarch                2.2.2-5.el8                                            foreman                   63 k
 rubygem-multi_json                      noarch                1.14.1-1.el8                                           foreman                   23 k
 rubygem-openssl                         x86_64                2.1.2-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7                  AppStream                190 k
 rubygem-powerbar                        noarch                2.0.1-2.el8                                            foreman                   14 k
 rubygem-psych                           x86_64                3.0.2-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7                  AppStream                 95 k
 rubygem-rdoc                            noarch                6.0.1-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7                  AppStream                486 k
 rubygems                                noarch                2.7.6.2-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7                AppStream                308 k
Installing weak dependencies:
 rubygem-bigdecimal                      x86_64                1.3.4-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7                  AppStream                 97 k
 rubygem-did_you_mean                    noarch                1.2.0-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7                  AppStream                 90 k
Enabling module streams:
 ruby                                                          2.5

Transaction Summary
Install  26 Packages

Total download size: 33 M
Installed size: 49 M
Downloading Packages:
determining the fastest mirror (1 hosts).. done.            [      ===                                             ] ---  B/s |   0  B     --:-- ETA
(1/26): ruby-2.5.5-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64.rpm                                                        1.1 MB/s |  86 kB     00:00
(2/26): ruby-irb-2.5.5-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.noarch.rpm                                                    1.2 MB/s | 102 kB     00:00
(3/26): rubygem-bigdecimal-1.3.4-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64.rpm                                          3.2 MB/s |  97 kB     00:00
(4/26): rubygem-did_you_mean-1.2.0-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.noarch.rpm                                        2.8 MB/s |  90 kB     00:00
(5/26): rubygem-io-console-0.4.6-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64.rpm                                          3.5 MB/s |  66 kB     00:00
(6/26): rubygem-json-2.1.0-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64.rpm                                                3.8 MB/s |  90 kB     00:00
(7/26): ruby-libs-2.5.5-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64.rpm                                                    19 MB/s | 2.9 MB     00:00
(8/26): rubygem-openssl-2.1.2-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64.rpm                                             5.1 MB/s | 190 kB     00:00
(9/26): rubygem-psych-3.0.2-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64.rpm                                               3.1 MB/s |  95 kB     00:00
(10/26): rubygem-rdoc-6.0.1-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.noarch.rpm                                                16 MB/s | 486 kB     00:00
(11/26): rubygems-2.7.6.2-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.noarch.rpm                                                  11 MB/s | 308 kB     00:00
(12/26): foreman-selinux-2.1.0-1.el8.noarch.rpm                                                                      1.2 MB/s |  54 kB     00:00
(13/26): rubygem-ansi-1.5.0-2.el8.noarch.rpm                                                                         977 kB/s |  32 kB     00:00
(14/26): rubygem-clamp-1.1.2-6.el8.noarch.rpm                                                                        3.7 MB/s |  33 kB     00:00
(15/26): rubygem-hashie-3.6.0-2.el8.noarch.rpm                                                                       3.5 MB/s |  36 kB     00:00
(16/26): rubygem-foreman_maintain-0.6.6-1.el8.noarch.rpm                                                             6.8 MB/s | 155 kB     00:00
(17/26): rubygem-highline-1.7.8-5.el8.noarch.rpm                                                                     3.9 MB/s |  42 kB     00:00
(18/26): rubygem-kafo-4.1.0-3.el8.noarch.rpm                                                                         5.1 MB/s |  75 kB     00:00
(19/26): rubygem-kafo_parsers-1.1.0-3.el8.noarch.rpm                                                                 1.5 MB/s |  15 kB     00:00
(20/26): rubygem-kafo_wizards-0.0.1-4.el8.noarch.rpm                                                                 2.3 MB/s |  16 kB     00:00
(21/26): rubygem-little-plugger-1.1.4-2.el8.noarch.rpm                                                               1.9 MB/s |  16 kB     00:00
(22/26): rubygem-multi_json-1.14.1-1.el8.noarch.rpm                                                                  2.7 MB/s |  23 kB     00:00
(23/26): rubygem-logging-2.2.2-5.el8.noarch.rpm                                                                      5.2 MB/s |  63 kB     00:00
(24/26): rubygem-powerbar-2.0.1-2.el8.noarch.rpm                                                                     2.3 MB/s |  14 kB     00:00
(25/26): foreman-installer-2.1.0-1.el8.noarch.rpm                                                                    9.7 MB/s | 1.7 MB     00:00
(26/26): puppet-agent-6.17.0-1.el8.x86_64.rpm                                                                         53 MB/s |  26 MB     00:00
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total                                                                                                                 27 MB/s |  33 MB     00:01
warning: /var/cache/dnf/AppStream-a520ed22b0a8a736/packages/ruby-2.5.5-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID 8483c65d: NOKEY
CentOS-8 - AppStream                                                                                                 1.6 MB/s | 1.6 kB     00:00
Importing GPG key 0x8483C65D:
 Userid     : "CentOS (CentOS Official Signing Key) <security@centos.org>"
 Fingerprint: 99DB 70FA E1D7 CE22 7FB6 4882 05B5 55B3 8483 C65D
 From       : /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-centosofficial
Key imported successfully
warning: /var/cache/dnf/foreman-6ee06fb3410a3bdd/packages/foreman-installer-2.1.0-1.el8.noarch.rpm: Header V4 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID b6f08ccf: NOKEY
Foreman 2.1                                                                                                          2.0 MB/s | 2.1 kB     00:00
Importing GPG key 0xB6F08CCF:
 Userid     : "Foreman Automatic Signing Key (2.1) <packages@theforeman.org>"
 Fingerprint: 0F71 D9EA C889 A0F2 C2CD 8190 6280 05A4 B6F0 8CCF
 From       : /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-foreman
warning: /var/cache/dnf/puppet6-61278a3d8cb73bd9/packages/puppet-agent-6.17.0-1.el8.x86_64.rpm: Header V4 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID ef8d349f: NOKEY
Puppet 6 Repository el 8 - x86_64                                                                                    1.6 MB/s | 1.6 kB     00:00
Importing GPG key 0xEF8D349F:
 Userid     : "Puppet, Inc. Release Key (Puppet, Inc. Release Key) <release@puppet.com>"
 Fingerprint: 6F6B 1550 9CF8 E59E 6E46 9F32 7F43 8280 EF8D 349F
 From       : /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-puppet6-release
Puppet 6 Repository el 8 - x86_64                                                                                    3.1 MB/s | 3.1 kB     00:00
Importing GPG key 0x9E61EF26:
 Userid     : "Puppet, Inc. Release Key (Puppet, Inc. Release Key) <release@puppet.com>"
 Fingerprint: D681 1ED3 ADEE B844 1AF5 AA8F 4528 B6CD 9E61 EF26
 From       : /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-2025-04-06-puppet6-release
Running transaction test
Running transaction
  Installing       : ruby-libs-2.5.5-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64                                                                     1/26
  Installing       : ruby-irb-2.5.5-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.noarch                                                                      2/26
  Installing       : rubygem-bigdecimal-1.3.4-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64                                                            3/26
  Installing       : rubygem-did_you_mean-1.2.0-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.noarch                                                          4/26
  Installing       : rubygem-io-console-0.4.6-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64                                                            5/26
  Installing       : rubygem-json-2.1.0-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64                                                                  6/26
  Installing       : rubygem-openssl-2.1.2-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64                                                               7/26
  Installing       : rubygem-psych-3.0.2-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64                                                                 8/26
  Installing       : rubygem-rdoc-6.0.1-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.noarch                                                                  9/26
  Installing       : rubygems-2.7.6.2-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.noarch                                                                   10/26
  Installing       : ruby-2.5.5-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64                                                                         11/26
  Installing       : rubygem-highline-1.7.8-5.el8.noarch                                                                                       12/26
  Installing       : rubygem-clamp-1.1.2-6.el8.noarch                                                                                          13/26
  Installing       : rubygem-foreman_maintain-1:0.6.6-1.el8.noarch                                                                             14/26
  Installing       : rubygem-kafo_wizards-0.0.1-4.el8.noarch                                                                                   15/26
  Installing       : rubygem-ansi-1.5.0-2.el8.noarch                                                                                           16/26
  Installing       : rubygem-hashie-3.6.0-2.el8.noarch                                                                                         17/26
  Installing       : rubygem-powerbar-2.0.1-2.el8.noarch                                                                                       18/26
  Installing       : rubygem-kafo_parsers-1.1.0-3.el8.noarch                                                                                   19/26
  Installing       : rubygem-little-plugger-1.1.4-2.el8.noarch                                                                                 20/26
  Installing       : rubygem-multi_json-1.14.1-1.el8.noarch                                                                                    21/26
  Installing       : rubygem-logging-2.2.2-5.el8.noarch                                                                                        22/26
  Installing       : rubygem-kafo-4.1.0-3.el8.noarch                                                                                           23/26
  Running scriptlet: puppet-agent-6.17.0-1.el8.x86_64                                                                                          24/26
  Installing       : puppet-agent-6.17.0-1.el8.x86_64                                                                                          24/26
  Running scriptlet: puppet-agent-6.17.0-1.el8.x86_64                                                                                          24/26
  Installing       : foreman-selinux-2.1.0-1.el8.noarch                                                                                        25/26
  Running scriptlet: foreman-selinux-2.1.0-1.el8.noarch                                                                                        25/26
  Installing       : foreman-installer-1:2.1.0-1.el8.noarch                                                                                    26/26
  Running scriptlet: foreman-installer-1:2.1.0-1.el8.noarch                                                                                    26/26
  Running scriptlet: puppet-agent-6.17.0-1.el8.x86_64                                                                                          26/26
  Running scriptlet: foreman-selinux-2.1.0-1.el8.noarch                                                                                        26/26
/sbin/restorecon: SELinux: Could not get canonical path for /etc/puppet/node.rb restorecon: No such file or directory.
/sbin/restorecon: SELinux: Could not get canonical path for /usr/lib64/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/passenger-* restorecon: No such file or directory.
/sbin/restorecon: SELinux: Could not get canonical path for /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/passenger-* restorecon: No such file or directory.
/sbin/restorecon: SELinux: Could not get canonical path for /usr/lib64/gems/ruby/passenger-*/agents restorecon: No such file or directory.
/sbin/restorecon: SELinux: Could not get canonical path for /usr/lib/gems/ruby/passenger-*/agents restorecon: No such file or directory.
/sbin/restorecon: SELinux: Could not get canonical path for /usr/lib64/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux/agents restorecon: No such file or directory.
/sbin/restorecon: SELinux: Could not get canonical path for /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux/agents restorecon: No such file or directory.
/sbin/restorecon: SELinux: Could not get canonical path for /usr/share/passenger/helper-scripts restorecon: No such file or directory.
/sbin/restorecon: SELinux: Could not get canonical path for /usr/lib64/passenger/support-binaries restorecon: No such file or directory.
/sbin/restorecon: SELinux: Could not get canonical path for /usr/lib/passenger/support-binaries restorecon: No such file or directory.
/sbin/restorecon: SELinux: Could not get canonical path for /usr/lib64exec/passenger restorecon: No such file or directory.

Running scriptlet: foreman-installer-1:2.1.0-1.el8.noarch                                                                                    26/26
  Verifying        : ruby-2.5.5-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64                                                                          1/26
  Verifying        : ruby-irb-2.5.5-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.noarch                                                                      2/26
  Verifying        : ruby-libs-2.5.5-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64                                                                     3/26
  Verifying        : rubygem-bigdecimal-1.3.4-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64                                                            4/26
  Verifying        : rubygem-did_you_mean-1.2.0-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.noarch                                                          5/26
  Verifying        : rubygem-io-console-0.4.6-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64                                                            6/26
  Verifying        : rubygem-json-2.1.0-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64                                                                  7/26
  Verifying        : rubygem-openssl-2.1.2-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64                                                               8/26
  Verifying        : rubygem-psych-3.0.2-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64                                                                 9/26
  Verifying        : rubygem-rdoc-6.0.1-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.noarch                                                                 10/26
  Verifying        : rubygems-2.7.6.2-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.noarch                                                                   11/26
  Verifying        : foreman-installer-1:2.1.0-1.el8.noarch                                                                                    12/26
  Verifying        : foreman-selinux-2.1.0-1.el8.noarch                                                                                        13/26
  Verifying        : rubygem-ansi-1.5.0-2.el8.noarch                                                                                           14/26
  Verifying        : rubygem-clamp-1.1.2-6.el8.noarch                                                                                          15/26
  Verifying        : rubygem-foreman_maintain-1:0.6.6-1.el8.noarch                                                                             16/26
  Verifying        : rubygem-hashie-3.6.0-2.el8.noarch                                                                                         17/26
  Verifying        : rubygem-highline-1.7.8-5.el8.noarch                                                                                       18/26
  Verifying        : rubygem-kafo-4.1.0-3.el8.noarch                                                                                           19/26
  Verifying        : rubygem-kafo_parsers-1.1.0-3.el8.noarch                                                                                   20/26
  Verifying        : rubygem-kafo_wizards-0.0.1-4.el8.noarch                                                                                   21/26
  Verifying        : rubygem-little-plugger-1.1.4-2.el8.noarch                                                                                 22/26
  Verifying        : rubygem-logging-2.2.2-5.el8.noarch                                                                                        23/26
  Verifying        : rubygem-multi_json-1.14.1-1.el8.noarch                                                                                    24/26
  Verifying        : rubygem-powerbar-2.0.1-2.el8.noarch                                                                                       25/26
  Verifying        : puppet-agent-6.17.0-1.el8.x86_64                                                                                          26/26

Installed:
  foreman-installer-1:2.1.0-1.el8.noarch                                foreman-selinux-2.1.0-1.el8.noarch
  puppet-agent-6.17.0-1.el8.x86_64                                      ruby-2.5.5-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64
  ruby-irb-2.5.5-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.noarch                 ruby-libs-2.5.5-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64
  rubygem-ansi-1.5.0-2.el8.noarch                                       rubygem-bigdecimal-1.3.4-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64
  rubygem-clamp-1.1.2-6.el8.noarch                                      rubygem-did_you_mean-1.2.0-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.noarch
  rubygem-foreman_maintain-1:0.6.6-1.el8.noarch                         rubygem-hashie-3.6.0-2.el8.noarch
  rubygem-highline-1.7.8-5.el8.noarch                                   rubygem-io-console-0.4.6-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64
  rubygem-json-2.1.0-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64             rubygem-kafo-4.1.0-3.el8.noarch
  rubygem-kafo_parsers-1.1.0-3.el8.noarch                               rubygem-kafo_wizards-0.0.1-4.el8.noarch
  rubygem-little-plugger-1.1.4-2.el8.noarch                             rubygem-logging-2.2.2-5.el8.noarch
  rubygem-multi_json-1.14.1-1.el8.noarch                                rubygem-openssl-2.1.2-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64
  rubygem-powerbar-2.0.1-2.el8.noarch                                   rubygem-psych-3.0.2-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.x86_64
  rubygem-rdoc-6.0.1-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.noarch             rubygems-2.7.6.2-105.module_el8.1.0+214+9be47fd7.noarch

Complete!
[root@foreman-centos8 ~]#

[root@foreman-centos8 ~]# foreman-installer --enable-foreman-cli-openscap --enable-foreman-plugin-openscap --enable-foreman-proxy-plugin-openscap
Preparing installation Done
Executing: foreman-rake upgrade:run
foreman-rake upgrade:run finished successfully!
  Success!
  * Foreman is running at https://foreman-centos8.r01.tuffdata.com
      Initial credentials are admin / SPnTrmT3ohiYbYwh
  * Foreman Proxy is running at https://foreman-centos8.r01.tuffdata.com:8443
  The full log is at /var/log/foreman-installer/foreman.log
[root@foreman-centos8 ~]#

[root@foreman-centos8 ~]# yum install puppet-foreman_scap_client
Last metadata expiration check: 0:14:07 ago on Mon 20 Jul 2020 11:37:02 UTC.
Dependencies resolved.
 Package                                        Architecture               Version                         Repository                           Size
Installing:
 puppet-foreman_scap_client                     noarch                     0.4.0-1.el8                     foreman-plugins                      22 k
Installing dependencies:
 puppetlabs-stdlib                              noarch                     5.2.0-1.el8                     foreman-plugins                     126 k

Transaction Summary
Install  2 Packages

Total download size: 148 k
Installed size: 465 k
Downloading Packages:
(1/2): puppet-foreman_scap_client-0.4.0-1.el8.noarch.rpm                                                              78 kB/s |  22 kB     00:00
(2/2): puppetlabs-stdlib-5.2.0-1.el8.noarch.rpm                                                                      434 kB/s | 126 kB     00:00
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total                                                                                                                502 kB/s | 148 kB     00:00
Running transaction test
Running transaction
  Installing       : puppetlabs-stdlib-5.2.0-1.el8.noarch                                                                                        1/2
  Installing       : puppet-foreman_scap_client-0.4.0-1.el8.noarch                                                                               2/2
  Verifying        : puppet-foreman_scap_client-0.4.0-1.el8.noarch                                                                               1/2
  Verifying        : puppetlabs-stdlib-5.2.0-1.el8.noarch                                                                                        2/2

Installed:
  puppet-foreman_scap_client-0.4.0-1.el8.noarch                                 puppetlabs-stdlib-5.2.0-1.el8.noarch

Complete!

I do not think you are missing anything in installer. I just gave it another go on CentOS 8.2.2004, everything still works for me. I can import using both UI and CLI:

[root@centos-eight ~]# hammer proxy import-classes --id 1
Result:               
  Successfully updated environment and puppetclasses from the on-disk puppet installation
Changed environments: 
 1) common
    New classes: 
        foreman_scap_client
        foreman_scap_client::params
        stdlib
        stdlib::stages
 2) production
    New classes: 
        foreman_scap_client
        stdlib

1 Like

Hey Ondrej
Thanks for that. I tried command line operations for reference, I hadnt tested that before, from rpm is still same.

# hammer proxy import-classes --id 1
Result:
  No changes to your environments detected

from puppet module install

# puppet module install theforeman-foreman_scap_client
Notice: Preparing to install into /etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules ...
Notice: Downloading from https://forgeapi.puppet.com ...
Notice: Installing -- do not interrupt ...
/etc/puppetlabs/code/environments/production/modules
└─┬ theforeman-foreman_scap_client (v0.4.0)
  └── puppetlabs-stdlib (v5.2.0)

# hammer proxy import-classes --id 1
Result:
  Successfully updated environment and puppetclasses from the on-disk puppet installation
Changed environments:
 1) production
    New classes:
        foreman_scap_client
        stdlib

I’m noticing that the puppet module install command is deploying to /etc/puppetlabs… and the rpm deploys to /usr/share/…

That seems to be the only difference. Still, one works, one doesnt.

I’ve already stripped out any hardening from the build, going to repeat it from a totally manuall install. maybe there’s some deep-down setting that affect this but perhaps I would have expected correct operation either way even some hardening were applied; eg. industry-standard CIS benchmark or similar.

On a different note and more problematic I still seem to see issues with ingestion of reports per other scap thread. Working on that as well my end to diagnose further.

Thanks for your work!