openSUSE Leap 15.0 builds for Foreman+Katello+Pulp?

Today, the Foreman project supports building for Fedora and RHEL/CentOS for Foreman, Katello, and Pulp (and Ubuntu for only Foreman).

As I understand it, the Foreman Project uses its own Koji instance, which uses Mock to build RPMs. The mock-core-configs package that provides the distribution targets Mock can build packages for has had support for openSUSE Leap 15.0 since v28.4 (which was released in May).

Given the similarity between openSUSE and Fedora packaging, it shouldn’t be that difficult to extend to build for openSUSE.

Could openSUSE Leap 15.0 support be added for running Foreman, Katello, and Pulp?

While it may be possible to build for openSUSE, it also means someone must take the responsibility to maintain it. Otherwise it’ll just bitrot. There’s a lot more than just building RPMs to call it supported. For example, will we also test it in releases?

In our current @packaging team we have little to no SUSE knowledge and are all too busy to properly support it. The general rule we apply is with sufficient volunteers to do the work, then it can be done. To be blunt: are you volunteering to take on this effort @Conan_Kudo?

I’d be happy to help, but I don’t want to be alone in the effort. I don’t even know what the scale of packages are for this, and insofar as testing releases, I don’t know what you mean. Are you talking about spinning up the system on an openSUSE system and running tests or what?

Our typical testing is done though https://github.com/theforeman/forklift which has ansible scripts to provision hosts. There’s a vagrant wrapper to spin up machines. That’s also part of the release process: spin up a box and do some minimal verification if it works.

We can help to get you up to speed.

Not sure if we need a separate koji builder either.

@stbenjam or @Justin_Sherrill can weigh in here as they looked at building SUSE packages for some of our client repositories. They settled on building inside OBS and importing into our Koji rather than creating a Koji builder. They can maybe shed light on the gotchas.

I believe at the time we were on a really old version koji. After the
upgrade that occurred in august it does look like we are at the needed
mock-core-configs version, but its unclear if it would easily support
anything but OpenSuse, and we were specifically targeting SLES.

Justin

I have variations of the config for older openSUSE Leap versions. The only reason I haven’t written any SLE ones is because I don’t have access to a set of SLE repositories to write one.

If you’ve got an EPEL-like setup with SLE packages in your Koji (that is, SLE packages are hosted on storage but not visible in Koji for public download), then I can definitely help set up the targets.