Operating System Support for Rocky Linux

Dear Team,

As we know that CentOS would no more by a downstream to RedHat, and Rocky Linux is a major replacement of CentOS as downstream RedHat derivative.

So, is there any plan to list out Rocky Linux as supported Platform for Foreman ?

Regards.
Aditya

Rocky Linux is not a replacement, it’s an alternative. CentOS Stream is doing great so far.

We mostly test on RHEL and CetntOS Stream with bunch of our community using various alternatives including Rocky Linux. If you mean support of EL clients.

For the installation of Foreman itself, I don’t think there are any short-term plans. The supported OS list is pretty extensive: CentOS, RHEL, Scientific/Oracle, Ubuntu, Debian. It’s insane how the installer team is able to cover all of this, kudos! :slight_smile:

1 Like

FYI, Rocky and Alama are both supported as clients as of about 4.1.4+, they are recognized and even have their cute logos show for them in Foreman/Katello.

It is just not supported as a base to install Foreman infrastructure.

First of all I pretty clearly understood this question to be about “supported Platform for Foreman”, which I understood to mean: “Install Foreman on Rocky”.

I think the question for what OSes there are clients has been answered extensively in this thread. However, @lzap, I was wonderung if you could expand on your “supported OS list for the installation of Foreman itself”: Does CentOS here mean CentOS Stream? Or does it mean CentOS 7 for as long as we continue to support EL7 and then nothing?

You can install Foreman on Rocky 8 and Alma 8 today, if CentOS Stream 8 doesn’t fit your needs.

1 Like

Dear Mates,
Thanks a lot for your information.

-Aditya

Looking in the documentation, it has only one supported OS, “Enterprise Linux 8”. Would be great if CentOS Stream 8, AlmaLinux 8 and Rocky Linux 8 can be added to the documentation if they are supported.

CentOS, Rocky and Alma are “Enterprise Linux”.

Right, I guess it could be a little more clear what distributions are included in the “Enterprise Linux 8” group to avoid confusion.

Well, that would be more or less futile, unless there was intensive testing of various distributions.

The list of RHEL derivates is longer:

Maybe adding a sentence like: “Foreman is tested on bla, and is often used on the most common Enterprise Linux 8 like distributions, including foo, bar, baz.” to the documentation would give users more confidence what the collective community considers sane/has experience with?

Sure there may be a 1000 niche derivatives of EL8, but they really are not all equal.

1 Like

But what is “common”? What is the criteria for “common”? Number of users? Numbers of user feedback in the community? Personal experience from developers? And what if “experience” is there but also in part negative, e.g. for Oracle Linux for which there are a few problems IIRC.

And then what if someone from another distro comes and says, hey, we are fully binary-compatible, too, and I have tested it and it works, why don’t you mention my distro as well? Why it’s only the big ones everyone already knows about?

I see those subjective, selective lists always a little bit skeptic…

I saw such a wording in the dotnet core project (maybe not the best example I brought up, up to now…), something similar maybe?

Red Hat family distributions include: AlmaLinux, CentOS, Oracle Linux, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and Rocky Linux.