Operating system versions incomplete

Problem:
Limited view of operating systems in reporting and all hosts
For some reason the operating system level is not being reported corrrectly in foreman. I’m not sure how the field get populated.
The only repporting options return the below. Most machines are 7.9 and lower but only 7.9.2009 get reported.
CentOS 6.10
CentOS-7
CentOS 7.9.2009
OracleLinux 6.10
OracleLinux 7.9

Expected outcome:
Correct OS revision an version displayed to at least to minor version eg 7.6
Foreman and Proxy versions:
Foreman 2.33
Katello 3.18

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

Distribution and version:

Other relevant data:

Hello,

you didn’t mention too many details about your setup so the answer will be a bit generic.

the OSes are either automatically created based on incoming facts (Puppet/subscription-manager/Ansible/Salt/Chef) or user creates them manually. They could also get created when Katello sync kickstart repository. If you see a host with wrong OS assigned (or that OS not being created), first check what facts you see in your DB for such host. We don’t prepopulate the list as every user use different OSes and versions.

1 Like

Hi Marek,
Foreman and proxys are new install. The clients already exist. I want to start maintaining the clients using foreman. I will alo want to provision new clients later.
I have registered a lot of hosts using this process.
yum -y localinstall /tmp/katello-ca-consumer-latest.noarch.rpm
subscription-manager register --org=" blahblah " --activationkey=“Centos7-mandev-key”
yum -y install katello-host-tools katello-agent katello-host-tools-trace
rpm’s for subscription manager for Centos 6 & 7 and used these same rpms for Oracle 6&7.
The proxy servers are showing up as 7.9 this must be coming from puppet as it has created a puppet environment for them.
If I run hammer host list all the fields are populated just that OPERATING SYSTEM has CENTOS-7

ID | NAME | OPERATING SYSTEM | HOST GROUP | IP | MAC | GLOBAL STATUS | CONTENT VIEW

Ok, so if you regitster your machines using subscription-manager, subscription-manager uploads some basic facts about the machine. The OS is created based on this. If some of your machine is running the OS you don’t see automatically created in your Foreman, see output of subscription-manager facts | grep distribution on that machine and see if it has enough details. Chances are that subscription-manager does not have all the details about the release version.

You’re right about the proxies and puppet, as part of the proxy installation, puppet facts are uploaded and most likely they have more detailed information about the OS. That would explain why you see CentOS 7.9.2009 because that’s what you proxies run on, but you see generic CentOS-7 or CentOS 6.10 for machines reported by subscription-manager. If you deploy puppet on these machines, you’d probably get more detailed information.