OSUOSL slaves now available

It’s taken a lot longer than expected, but the Open Source University’s promised offer of servers has arrived.

We have an Openstack tenant with:

Servers CPUs RAM(Gb)
0-10 0-20 0-50

This would give us 5 servers at 4 CPU / 8Gb RAM. Does that sound good? I’d like to reserve 2 for infra use (new Puppetmaster, and a machine for me to run metrics stuff on), but that would potentially free up some Rackspace budget.

Anyone want to slice it up differently?

4 Likes

@Gwmngilfen @ehelms I created a slave (4 CPUs, 8GB RAM) and it seems to work just fine (also performance wise). So I’ll create three more of these and after a few days destroy slave06.rackspace.theforeman.org and slave07.rackspace.theforeman.org.

ACK?

2 Likes

Works for me. That leaves one box at the same spec, right? I’ll take that for metrics and suchlike. I assume we’ll migrate the puppetmaster to a new Rackspace host using the freed capacity?

That leaves one box at the same spec, right?

Exactly.

I assume we’ll migrate the puppetmaster to a new Rackspace host using the freed capacity?

Given we don’t have other alternatives, yes.

Thanks @mmoll! A few questions:

1. So we will net 2 slaves in the end if my math is right?
  2. How many executors did you set the new ones to? 4?
  3. Are the OSU slaves considered “fast” and labeled as such? (i.e. are they backed by SSDs or is this a regression in efficiency).
  4. Assuming these got configured as CentOS 7 slaves?

So we will net 2 slaves in the end if my math is right?

Yes.

How many executors did you set the new ones to? 4?

Yes, 4, these are even a bit faster than the rackspace ones, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

Are the OSU slaves considered “fast” and labeled as such?

Yes.

Assuming these got configured as CentOS 7 slaves?

Exactly, that’s the standard setup. Theoretically some recent Debian/Ubuntu would also be possible, but at least in the last years only CentOS 7 was used, so that would probably need some work.