Provisioning systems with foreman-xen - vm-data empty?

I've successfully installed foreman-xen via gem and have it tied into my
three XenServer hosts. It's able to provision new systems, but when it does
my vm-data xenstore is empty. This is where foreman-xen appears to send
information related to networking and the like.

I know this is a very early build and that problems are likely to occur,
but I also know that my XenServer cluster has had some interesting issues
in the past. Before I start diving into code and troubleshooting the plugin
I am wondering if anyone else has tried this and whether you encountered a
similar issue.

Foreman (and foreman-xen) are running on a CentOS 6.5 system and I'm using
XCP 1.6.10-61809c.

I feel I should clarify a bit.

In Foreman, when you provision a VM using foreman-xen there are a handful
of fields you need to populate with things like hostname, ip address, etc.
These are supposed to be added into the xenstore under the path vm-data/,
but nothing has been added there. You can check yours by executing the
following on a guest.

root-shell> xenstore-ls /local/domain/$(xenstore-read domid)/vm-data

If use xe vm-param-list on my host I find this:

xenstore-data (MRW): vm-data: 

I did a bunch of digging and it looks to me like an incorrect XAPI call is
being made:

VM.set_xenstore_data: ["MESSAGE_PARAMETER_COUNT_MISMATCH",
"VM.set_xenstore_data", "2", "1"]
That's where I've stopped so far.

··· On Thursday, May 22, 2014 11:03:03 AM UTC-4, Marc C wrote: > > I've successfully installed foreman-xen via gem and have it tied into my > three XenServer hosts. It's able to provision new systems, but when it does > my vm-data xenstore is empty. This is where foreman-xen appears to send > information related to networking and the like. > > I know this is a very early build and that problems are likely to occur, > but I also know that my XenServer cluster has had some interesting issues > in the past. Before I start diving into code and troubleshooting the plugin > I am wondering if anyone else has tried this and whether you encountered a > similar issue. > > Foreman (and foreman-xen) are running on a CentOS 6.5 system and I'm using > XCP 1.6.10-61809c. > >

Because I'm too persistent for my own good, I've located the problem in the
xenstore_hash_flatten method and repaired it. I'll have a pull request in
shortly.

··· On Thursday, May 22, 2014 2:22:16 PM UTC-4, Marc C wrote: > > I feel I should clarify a bit. > > In Foreman, when you provision a VM using foreman-xen there are a handful > of fields you need to populate with things like hostname, ip address, etc. > These are supposed to be added into the xenstore under the path vm-data/, > but nothing has been added there. You can check yours by executing the > following on a guest. > > root-shell> xenstore-ls /local/domain/$(xenstore-read domid)/vm-data > > If use xe vm-param-list on my host I find this: > > xenstore-data (MRW): vm-data: > I did a bunch of digging and it looks to me like an incorrect XAPI call is > being made: > > VM.set_xenstore_data: ["MESSAGE_PARAMETER_COUNT_MISMATCH", > "VM.set_xenstore_data", "2", "1"] > That's where I've stopped so far. > > > On Thursday, May 22, 2014 11:03:03 AM UTC-4, Marc C wrote: >> >> I've successfully installed foreman-xen via gem and have it tied into my >> three XenServer hosts. It's able to provision new systems, but when it does >> my vm-data xenstore is empty. This is where foreman-xen appears to send >> information related to networking and the like. >> >> I know this is a very early build and that problems are likely to occur, >> but I also know that my XenServer cluster has had some interesting issues >> in the past. Before I start diving into code and troubleshooting the plugin >> I am wondering if anyone else has tried this and whether you encountered a >> similar issue. >> >> Foreman (and foreman-xen) are running on a CentOS 6.5 system and I'm >> using XCP 1.6.10-61809c. >> >>