Puppet update for dhcpd.conf and HTTP Boot

Hello,

during UEFI HTTPBoot testing, @Roman_Plevka discovered that our default dhcpd.conf does not handle HTTPClients corectly. I would like to do an update of our puppet template, however there are few things to discuss. Looking at you @ekohl :slight_smile:

I need to replace this block:

if option architecture = 00:06 {
  filename "grub2/shim.efi";
} elsif option architecture = 00:07 {
} elsif option architecture = 00:09 {
} else {
  filename "pxelinux.0";
}

with this snippet:

https://gist.github.com/lzap/8a3e7cfddf68991926eb268023f1709a

Questions:

• IP address instead of hostname should be probably safer to use.
  • HTTP protocol should be the default, when the endpoint is enabled.
  • Probably when only HTTPS is enabled then we should return HTTPS URL, however EFI firmware will refuse to download the file unless CA is enrolled.

This looks like a more complex change, there is this $bootfiles variable defined. This probably needs to be broken up into two variables - one for PXE clients and one for HTTP clients. Or what is your suggestion @ekohl?

I took a very quick stab at this and is entirely untested. There are acceptance tests which I’m firing up now, but here’s the draft code:

In my PR I’ve used the same IP as the PXE server. It may be a bit unlogical to have the parameter --foreman-proxy-dhcp-pxeserver influence the HTTPBoot IP, but it was the quickest way in my draft. It’s also a pretty safe assumption that PXE and HTTPBoot are served on the same IP.

Done

Done. I think this can be documented as a known limitation that users with disabled HTTP need to deal with. Having the code in place allows orgs to disable HTTP in particular use cases.

3 Likes

Thanks, how can I test this on a production installation? I remember that last time when I tried to replace .pp file puppet was complaining. Is there a good way?

The installer maintains a parser cache of all exposed classes (from .pp files). If they change, the cache is considered invalid. I think this is an internal class so the parser cache shouldn’t be affected, but it’s safe to install puppet-agent-puppet-strings (available in our packaging repos) which allows parsing at runtime.

Thanks, I tested the patch and it works both on BIOS, EFI and HTTPUEFI boot.