Redmine projects layout

Hello foreman developers,

I was just looking at Redmine backlogs in OFI and Katello projects. I
think it's something which could be useful for both projects but because
both Katello and OFI are under Foreman project they are inheriting its
sprints. I understand that this is useful for other Foreman sub-projects.

What would you thing about changing the project layout to something like:

• Foreman Projects (top place holder, maybe not necessary)
    • Foreman
      • Kafo
      • Hammer CLI
      • other. projects following Foreman's sprints
    • Katello
    • OFI

This would allow to have independent sprints in Katello and OFI. These
projects would also not pollute Foreman Sprints with their tasks.

Petr

Both projects currently do -not- inherit members from Foreman at the
moment, while most other projects do, so that makes sense. Obviously,
they'd need to be moved back to being children of Foreman if you wanted
to share membership in future (to prevent people having to join twice).

··· On 03/03/14 13:14, Petr Chalupa wrote: > Hello foreman developers, > > I was just looking at Redmine backlogs in OFI and Katello projects. I > think it's something which could be useful for both projects but because > both Katello and OFI are under Foreman project they are inheriting its > sprints. I understand that this is useful for other Foreman sub-projects. > > What would you thing about changing the project layout to something like: > - Foreman Projects (top place holder, maybe not necessary) > - Foreman > - Kafo > - Hammer CLI > - other. projects following Foreman's sprints > - Katello > - OFI > > This would allow to have independent sprints in Katello and OFI. These > projects would also not pollute Foreman Sprints with their tasks.

Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Engineering

Makes sense to me, +1. I think we don't need Foreman Projects placeholder
(unless we migrate all members to it). It would become more confusing imho.

··· On Monday 03 of March 2014 14:14:14 Petr Chalupa wrote: > Hello foreman developers, > > I was just looking at Redmine backlogs in OFI and Katello projects. I > think it's something which could be useful for both projects but because > both Katello and OFI are under Foreman project they are inheriting its > sprints. I understand that this is useful for other Foreman sub-projects. > > What would you thing about changing the project layout to something like: > - Foreman Projects (top place holder, maybe not necessary) > - Foreman > - Kafo > - Hammer CLI > - other. projects following Foreman's sprints > - Katello > - OFI > > This would allow to have independent sprints in Katello and OFI. These > projects would also not pollute Foreman Sprints with their tasks. > > Petr

Marek

+1, I'm thinking about ditching Katello's Trello backlog and moving to
pure Redmine and this would be a precursor to that.

Mike

··· On 03/04/2014 09:44 AM, Marek Hulan wrote: > On Monday 03 of March 2014 14:14:14 Petr Chalupa wrote: >> Hello foreman developers, >> >> I was just looking at Redmine backlogs in OFI and Katello projects. I >> think it's something which could be useful for both projects but because >> both Katello and OFI are under Foreman project they are inheriting its >> sprints. I understand that this is useful for other Foreman sub-projects. >> >> What would you thing about changing the project layout to something like: >> - Foreman Projects (top place holder, maybe not necessary) >> - Foreman >> - Kafo >> - Hammer CLI >> - other. projects following Foreman's sprints >> - Katello >> - OFI >> >> This would allow to have independent sprints in Katello and OFI. These >> projects would also not pollute Foreman Sprints with their tasks. >> >> Petr > > Makes sense to me, +1. I think we don't need Foreman Projects placeholder > (unless we migrate all members to it). It would become more confusing imho. >

I've changed Katello in redmine to a top-level project.

··· On 04/03/14 09:04, Mike McCune wrote: > On 03/04/2014 09:44 AM, Marek Hulan wrote: >> On Monday 03 of March 2014 14:14:14 Petr Chalupa wrote: >>> Hello foreman developers, >>> >>> I was just looking at Redmine backlogs in OFI and Katello projects. I >>> think it's something which could be useful for both projects but because >>> both Katello and OFI are under Foreman project they are inheriting its >>> sprints. I understand that this is useful for other Foreman sub-projects. >>> >>> What would you thing about changing the project layout to something like: >>> - Foreman Projects (top place holder, maybe not necessary) >>> - Foreman >>> - Kafo >>> - Hammer CLI >>> - other. projects following Foreman's sprints >>> - Katello >>> - OFI >>> >>> This would allow to have independent sprints in Katello and OFI. These >>> projects would also not pollute Foreman Sprints with their tasks. >>> >>> Petr >> >> Makes sense to me, +1. I think we don't need Foreman Projects placeholder >> (unless we migrate all members to it). It would become more confusing imho. >> > > +1, I'm thinking about ditching Katello's Trello backlog and moving to > pure Redmine and this would be a precursor to that.

Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Engineering

>>> Hello foreman developers,
>>>
>>> I was just looking at Redmine backlogs in OFI and Katello projects. I
>>> think it's something which could be useful for both projects but because
>>> both Katello and OFI are under Foreman project they are inheriting its
>>> sprints. I understand that this is useful for other Foreman
>>> sub-projects.
>>>
>>> What would you thing about changing the project layout to something
>>> like:
>>> - Foreman Projects (top place holder, maybe not necessary)
>>> - Foreman
>>> - Kafo
>>> - Hammer CLI
>>> - other. projects following Foreman's sprints
>>> - Katello
>>> - OFI
>>>
>>> This would allow to have independent sprints in Katello and OFI. These
>>> projects would also not pollute Foreman Sprints with their tasks.
>>>
>>> Petr
>>
>> Makes sense to me, +1. I think we don't need Foreman Projects placeholder
>> (unless we migrate all members to it). It would become more confusing
>> imho.
>>
>
> +1, I'm thinking about ditching Katello's Trello backlog and moving to
> pure Redmine and this would be a precursor to that.

+1 to having only one system

··· On 04.03.14 10:04, Mike McCune wrote: > On 03/04/2014 09:44 AM, Marek Hulan wrote: >> On Monday 03 of March 2014 14:14:14 Petr Chalupa wrote:

Mike