Release team meeting 2023-11-01

The agenda for today’s meeting.

Foreman 3.9

Schedule | 3.9.0 TODO | CI overview

• We’re nearing the end of the development cycle, which means it’s almost time to post the branching procedure (see branching).

Foreman 3.8

Schedule | 3.8.0 TODO | CI overview

Foreman 3.7

3.7.1 TODO | 3.7.1 DONE | CI overview

Katello 4.11

Katello 4.10

Katello 4.9

Present: @pcreech (chair), @ekohl (notes), @Griffin-Sullivan, @iballou, @Odilhao

Foreman 3.9

Foreman 3.8

Foreman 3.7

• 3.7.1 release process posted: Foreman 3.7.1 release process
    • Either released today or early next week due to people having time off on Thursday and releasing on Friday is a bad practice.

Katello 4.11

• Release owner: @iballou
  • Release engineer: @Odilhao
  • Work under way to update Pulp from 3.28 to 3.40. Given how close branching is, this may be tight.
    • @Odilhao is working on the packaging side of it.
    • Verification used to happen with pulp-installer, but that’s discontinued so @Odilhao and @ekohl will discuss using the foreman-installer parts to verify Pulp as part of the release pipeline

Katello 4.10

Katello 4.9

• No updates

Other

• We used to increase release team meeting to twice a week around branching, but didn’t do so in the past few releases. Starting stabilization week we’ll also meet on Mondays.

If you have a source repo that performs this foreman-installer based verification, that you can point me at (or even a line of code) I would be interested. :wink:

I guess they mean the puppet-pulpcore module we have: GitHub - theforeman/puppet-pulpcore: Puppet module for setting up Pulp 3 as part of Katello installation, which have acceptance tests that can be ran against a random pulpcore repo, if needed.
In CI we run it for all supported Pulpcore versions via https://github.com/theforeman/puppet-pulpcore/blob/41d6f1f7b79b8e4320509b38f0b342aa2adc3877/spec/setup_acceptance_node.pp#L12-L14 and https://github.com/theforeman/puppet-pulpcore/blob/41d6f1f7b79b8e4320509b38f0b342aa2adc3877/.github/workflows/ci.yml#L70-L73 and we probably could tune that to run against a staging repo.

1 Like

I guess what I am still interested in would be the line in pulpcore-packaging (or whatever CI pipeline uses pulpcore-packaging to build a new package) that then runs puppet-pulpcore after building a new pulp package. I am guessing that line may not yet exist yet, because @Odilhao and @ekohl have yet to build it?

Yeah, that line doesn’t exist yet.

Correct, the discussion is about how to move forward with it. I made a proof of concept almost a year ago: Restructure installation and add a pulp scenario by ekohl · Pull Request #822 · theforeman/foreman-installer · GitHub.

But @ehelms is also looking at building a separate repository for Candlepin (Add Candlepin pipeline by ehelms · Pull Request #361 · theforeman/jenkins-jobs · GitHub) which would then need similar testing.

Restructure installation to avoid duplicate files by ekohl · Pull Request #870 · theforeman/foreman-installer · GitHub would be the first step. Together with a packaging change the aim is to make it easier to ship multiple installer scenarios.

1 Like