Many times while I was searching for some stuff related to Foreman I end up at Foreman wiki.
This is not ideal for our users, specially the ones who starts with Foreman, because the wiki pages are usuallt in on of these free states:
- Outdated, a lot of articles are from 2012
- 404 - links in page are dead
- Moved to theforeman.com
Feel free to browse the Wiki by yourself and see the content, here are some examples:
- TheForeman Project - Outdated, 404 or moved to website
- Installation Guide - Content has been promoted to the Foreman Manual
- Tutorials - Many articles are 404 or outdated
Community - Outdated or moved to website
Troubleshooting - This may be still useful, just need to be checked if it’s up to date and move it to docs.theforeman.org
- FAQ - same as above
- Tips and Tricks - 404
- Wiki Legacy - Content has been promoted to the Foreman Manual
Hitting these pages is time consuming and doesn’t provide any useful information, so I’d like to start discussion what we can do with it and how to do proper cleanup.
What we can do:
- Redirect pages to theforeman.org or (preferably) to docs.theforeman.org
- Delete the pages
- Block Search indexing
- (… something else?)
I’m not sure what options do we have with Redmine, from what I’ve heard redirecting wiki pages to different site is not possible, so I’m open to any suggestions / ideas.
Last thing to mention, I’ve been looking only at Foreman project, but we shouldn’t forget to check all other projects/plugins and ensure that they don’t have the same problem.