RFC: Importing Ansible Roles from Git

Hello everyone,

We would like to get your opinion about a new feature (Feature #36971: GUI to allow cloning of Ansible roles from VCS - Ansible - Foreman) for our foreman_ansible plugin contributed by Thorben from ATIX.

This feature enables users to clone a Git repository containing Ansible roles to a specified Smart Proxy.

Here’s the current workflow:

1. Navigate to the Ansible/Roles page in the Foreman UI.
  2. Click on the Import from VCS button.
  3. Fill in the required details.
  4. Confirm the action.

This triggers a task to download the Git repository to the specified Smart Proxy.
Subsequently, users can import the downloaded roles into Foreman.

Screenshot:

Questions for Feedback:

1. Is it sufficient to download the Ansible roles from the git repository to the selected Smart Proxy, or should we additionally trigger a task to import the roles from the Smart Proxy post-download?
  2. If we opt to maintain the feature as it stands (only downloading the roles from git), what is the most suitable naming convention? Download / Install / Clone / Import?
  3. What is the acceptable structure for the git repository that contains the Ansible roles? Does a repository contain one role, or multiple roles?

Additional details:

Looking forward to your valuable feedback.

2 Likes

Hi Nofar,

I already had an extensive look at the VCS integration to foreman_ansible by @thorbend, so I want to share my thoughts:

1. Automatically start the import: Yes, this makes sense to me. I think this can be a follow-up task.
  2. Are you looking for an alternative wording to “Get” in the title? I suggest “Download”; “clone” is just git terminology; “import” (to me) means that you create entities in Foreman (such as products as repositories when importing SUSE content or RH content), and “install” could be associated with “Install X on my hosts”.
  3. I have not tested with anything else but “one repo ↔ one Ansible role” which I consider best pratice. Did you test multiple Ansible roles in a git repo? And if so, do you have a use case for this?
  • Naming: I think VCS is fine in case someone wants to implement adding an alternative to git. I am also OK with “Git” though.
  • API & Hammer: Yes, IMHO necessary but again not for 1.0 because it’ll be useable and valuable without.
  • Documentation: We’re working on it; docs are primarily blocked by merging the PRs in foreman_ansible.
  • I like the UI a lot. Where do you see rough edges?

I think we should focus on getting in what’s ready and working and then give room for further improvements in follow-up tickets and PRs.

1 Like

The UI is nice to import one git repository, but this is something I typically do not do. Have one repository for all Ansible code is not good practice in my eyes, clicking roles one by one is not how I like to work (but perhaps some customers). So I would still prefer something that uses requirements.yml to populate the Ansible directory as mentioned initially. If this format seems to technical, such a UI could help as a generator for the format.

1 Like

I have a few loose thoughts about the whole topic, but first about the questions:

1. I think the most sense from the user perspective would be if the download gets triggered only once, and then you can use either a rake task, hammer command, button in the UI or being able to attach a schedule with recurring tasks (future versions stuff I guess)
  2. As maximilian already says I too think from the terminology stand point Download makes the most sense
  3. We are currently using ansible-galaxy collection install to get the roles to the Foreman server, so I would have expected this being very similar to that, galaxy repos have a defined repo structure, where the roles, plugins, and such have to be placed, but as well there are galaxy meta files, which can define more stuff like, which roles/collections this collection depends on, we use that to make sure the roles that are used inside the collection are actually installed on the system as well (i.e. role uses ansible.posix.selinux then we add ansible.posix with either a specific version, min version or no version)
    Usage of requirements.yaml would also be a possibility, that would be the way how AWX/AAP does it, personally I like the very defined galaxy structure more, but using a more AWX structure, which is more flat would also work (/roles/requirements.yaml, /collections/requierements.yaml and the roles laying in the roles directory is how it’s done by default there, except for playbook local roles which are in the roles subdirectory when the playbook is not in the root)

On the UI side,

• I tried to set it up in a forklift instance, it got stuck for a few seconds after entering an URI in the URL box, looks like it isn’t async (or it’s waiting for the missing proxy component)
  • that you have to add .git at the end of the repo name is not written somewhere up to now, at least git clone and ansible-galaxy collection install also work without that, so was a bit confusing in the first second
  • Beside that, pretty simple and straight forward UI :+1:

Naming, is it actually possible to use a different Source Control software beside Git or will one be supported in the future? Or if this is very reliant on a special repo structure is it good to name it something that doesn’t directly expose that?

1 Like

Hi @maximilian, thank you for your feedback.

1. Agreed :slight_smile:
  2. Makes sense. We’ll use “Download” for fetching the role to the smart-proxy and “Import” for integrating the role into Foreman.
  3. Currently, having multiple Ansible roles in a git repository won’t function correctly. The role will be downloaded to the smart-proxy and will be available for importing. However, attempting to run it on a host will fail due to differences in file structure (having 2 directories instead of 1).

Regarding the UI, I agree that it looks good. However, I want to ensure it’s intuitive and user-friendly.

Since this feature will be available for all users, we need to ensure it meets our standards. That means we can’t release it without proper documentation, API, and Hammer integration.

Thank you for your feedback! I’ll take your comments into consideration.
Leaving some improvements for the next release is a good idea (such as supporting multiple role structures or adding a subsequent task to also import the downloaded roles).
This current implementation only supports Git, and there are no current plans to support other version control systems. But maybe someday! :wink:

1 Like