The Foreman Ansible Modules (FAM) collection has seen great success with community participation and multiple releases. The collection is primarily focused on Ansible assets (e.g. modules, roles) that communicate with the Foreman API. There are a number of additional use cases that we see within the community where users use Ansible to automate things like installation, upgrade, task cleanup, backup, restore, etc. Further, we have seen through user blog posts, and discourse posts as well as within our own tooling (i.e. Forklift) that this is an area where every user is having to invent the Ansible to support this themselves. This supported collection would offer a centralized place for users to collaborate, contribute and use tooling for common operations.
In light of this, I am proposing the following (bike shedding encouraged):
- Creation of a Foreman Operations Ansible Collection
- A new repository for the collection at
- Moving the Forklift installer role to the collection as the first component of the collection
- Given the familiarity of Ansible, and collections, adding the maintainers of FAM as the initial set of maintainers of FOC
- Discuss how to test these type of modules and roles given they are intended to act on a live system