RHCOS installation with Foreman

Problem:
Does anybody have experience installing RHCOS with Foreman (installation media, repos,…)?
Expected outcome:

Foreman and Proxy versions:
Foreman 1.24.2
Katello 3.14.1
Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

Distribution and version:

Other relevant data:

The code in CoreOS initialization to be able to “call home” has been added very recently:

https://github.com/coreos/coreos-installer/issues/21

So technically this is now finally possible to handle PXE/iPXE/UEFI HTTP boot provisioning from Foreman. However I haven’t tried this yet myself. I am tracking this work as:

Feel free to test it out and report back. Contribute templates you have created too. I would love to see this working.

Hi, thanks for your answer. I have configured the pxeLinux file…the only thing that i need is an ignition file. Does anybody have a example “basic” ignition file that is needet for PXE?

You will find more info in CoreOS docs. You generate ignition from YAML input, you actually need to put “call home” systemd unit as mentioned in the github discussion in order to switch PXE templates via Foreman.

We don’t have any examples yet, you are one of the first. We do have some old CoreOS templates in our repository but these are cloud-init based (before ignition was launched), we should delete these.

Ok thanks.
Will RHCOS be supported by foreman in the future because in 1.24.2 i see CoreOS which is getting near end of life?

I think so, I already did the first step of asking CoreOS developers to implement a missing feature for us which was done a month ago. It’s on our TODO list, but I cannot give you any timeframe.