Scenario foreman-proxy-content installs postgres, redis, etc

Hi All,

I’m currently building a new Foreman instance, using Foreman 2.5 / Katello 4.1. I use dedicate smart-proxy for some functions, in this case puppet CA and puppet.

When I run foreman-installer --scenario foreman-proxy-content .... it installs a bunch of things I don’t feel are needed such as redis and postgres (In my case, I have an external database server and redis server)

It appears the extra packages are from ‘foreman_proxy_content’ puppet module, if I disable this it seems to skip all that software installation, however the smart-proxy install fails. In my case it errors out as it hasn’t copied in ssl certs to foreman-proxy:

smart-proxy: Errors detected on startup, see log for details. Exiting: No such file or directory @ rb_sysopen - /etc/foreman-proxy/ssl_key.pem

Am I missing something easy/obvious here? I am new to this particular version of Foreman/Katello

Problem:

Expected outcome:

Foreman and Proxy versions:

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions:

Distribution and version:

Other relevant data:

This is because Pulp 3 is being installed, which requires these services. As you found out, right now we don’t have good support for installing a Smart Proxy without content in a Katello scenario. It’s a bit of a hack, but I think adding this to /etc/foreman-installer/custom-hiera.yaml should help with the certificates:

lookup_options:
  classes:
    merge: unique

classes:
  - certs::foreman_proxy

You may run into dependency problems since there’s no good chaining now. In that case you can try to rerun the installer.

3 Likes

This did the trick perfectly.

Thank you so much for your help