SLES + ppc64 + katello-client

Problem: Register SLES PPC64 system with foreman (SLES 12 and 15 for SAP and none SAP)

Expected outcome: available rpm packages for ppc64

Foreman and Proxy versions: Any

Foreman and Proxy plugin versions: Any

Distribution and version: SLES PPC64

Other relevant data:
So we have a number of systems x86 and PPC64 and i want to manage them all under foreman, i do see in the forman repo there is a client for SLES 12, but none for 15 and not only that they are only x86 packages is there any for PPC64??

If not is there somewhere i can pull the katello-clients down and maybe look at compiling them myself?? course id rather not have to compile but if its my only option ill take it.

Thanks

So i found the source for SLES 12 (Index of /client/3.2/sles12/source) but not for 15, and when i tried to compile the packages on an ppc64 i got the below error for the subscription-manager, all other packages compiled (i have not tested installing them)

Not sure if there is something wrong on that version i will try some older ones, but i still need to find the source for 15 so i can try and compile for ppc64

RPM build errors:
subscription-manager-1.23.3-4.1.suse1315.src.rpm: Header V4 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID 6da7eb32: NOKEY
Directory not found: /home/user1/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/subscription-manager-1.23.3-4.1.suse1315.ppc64le/usr/share/rhn
Directory not found: /home/user1/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/subscription-manager-1.23.3-4.1.suse1315.ppc64le/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client
Directory not found: /home/user1/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/subscription-manager-1.23.3-4.1.suse1315.ppc64le/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/firstboot
File not found by glob: /home/user1/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/subscription-manager-1.23.3-4.1.suse1315.ppc64le/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/firstboot/rhsm_login.py*

Hi @cflannigan

I work for ATIX, the developers for Foreman SCC Manager plugin to manage SUSE content. For our downstream product orcharhino (based on Foreman and Katello), we provide tested and stable orcharhino Clients for SLES 12 and 15 on PPC. Feel free to message me and I will get you in touch with the right people.

Thanks for reaching out, yes i use the Foreman SCC Manager plugin which is great its just getting some of the PPC64 machines installed with the katello client… i will message you offline.

1 Like

In the mean time i guess it would still be nice to fix the src rpm file on he foreman repo that gives the error… I pulled down the file (https://yum.theforeman.org/client/latest/sles12/source/subscription-manager-1.23.3-4.1.suse1315.src.rpm) onto a PPC64 SLES 12 machine and when i try to compile i get the above error but i cannot identify why the directories are not getting created.

There is 100G of free space on the home directory where im building the rpm on but cannot seem to get this to work.

Max… Your information didnt help it was for paid services which is not what im looking for.

After doing some digging into the src rpm proved in the foreman site it looks like there is a difference between the Makefile and the spec file they are sourcing from different locations

Makefile: FIRSTBOOT_MODULES_DIR?=$(PREFIX)/share/rhn/up2date_client/firstboot/rhsm_login.py
Specfile : %{_datadir}/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/firstboot/rhsm_login.py*

The make file uses: %{_datadir}/usr/share/firstboot/modules/

below is the logic in the Makefile

# /usr/share/rhn location for el6, suse
ifeq ($(filter-out sles opensuse,$(OS)),)
   FIRSTBOOT_MODULES_DIR?=$(PREFIX)/share/rhn/up2date_client/firstboot
else
   FIRSTBOOT_MODULES_DIR?=$(PREFIX)/share/firstboot/modules
endif

Logic in the spec file

%if %use_firstboot
%files -n subscription-manager-firstboot
%defattr(-,root,root,-)
%if 0%{?suse_version}
%dir %{_datadir}/rhn
%dir %{_datadir}/rhn/up2date_client
%dir %{_datadir}/rhn/up2date_client/firstboot