Default value - /chroot
Type validator - string
Validator constraint - <blank>
Order - <default>

Match - hostgroup=web_server
Value - /chroot

When I submit, I'm returned to that puppet classes' Primary tab and
can go back to the Smart Variable and view it. At that time I've
checked the lookup_keys and lookup_values tables and found nothing.
Also the "Settings -> Smart Variables" shows nothing. If I navigate
off that page and return the smart variables are gone.

Here's the production.log output during the submit of the smart
variable:

··· ------- Processing PuppetclassesController#update (for 128.194.187.98 at 2012-01-03 10:32:11) [PUT] Parameters: {"commit"=>"Submit", "authenticity_token"=>"FV/8/ chFOEddPnsMHlK7O3jxmASVvSfHXlp1BlGAPiY=", "puppetclass"=>{"lookup_keys_attributes"=>{"new_lookup_keys"=>{"updated_at"=>"1325608330", "default_value"=>"", "validator_rule"=>"", "lookup_values_attributes"=>{"new_lookup_values"=>{"value"=>"", "_destroy"=>"", "match"=>""}}, "description"=>"", "validator_type"=>"", "path"=>"fqdn\r\nhostgroup\r\nos\r\ndomain", "key"=>"", "_destroy"=>""}, "0"=>{"updated_at"=>"1325608330", "default_value"=>"/chroot", "validator_rule"=>"", "lookup_values_attributes"=>{"new_lookup_values"=>{"value"=>"", "_destroy"=>"", "match"=>""}, "0"=>{"value"=>"/chroot", "_destroy"=>"", "match"=>"hostgroup=web_server"}}, "description"=>"chroot environment base directory", "validator_type"=>"", "path"=>"fqdn\r\nhostgroup\r\nos\r\ndomain", "key"=>"chroot_base", "_destroy"=>""}}, "name"=>"chroot", "environment_ids"=>["1", ""], "hostgroup_ids"=>["", "", "", "", ""]}, "id"=>"chroot"} Rendering template within layouts/application Rendering puppetclasses/edit Completed in 270ms (View: 250, DB: 5) | 200 OK [https:// itscforeman.tamu.edu/puppetclasses/chroot]

Let me know what other information may be useful. This system is
CentOS 5.7, x86_64, ruby-1.8.5.

Thanks

• Trey

Exact thing happened to me today when I started (tried) using smart
variables.

··· On Tuesday, January 3, 2012 6:07:26 PM UTC+1, treydock wrote: > > I'm moving towards paramaterized classes and am beginning to try out > smart variables, but am unable to save any. I enter even the most > basic info... >

Mike

thats a silly bug, save the smart var with no additional matchers
first, then edit it again…

sorry,
Ohad

··· On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 2:13 AM, Mikael Fridh wrote: > On Tuesday, January 3, 2012 6:07:26 PM UTC+1, treydock wrote: >> >> I'm moving towards paramaterized classes and am beginning to try out >> smart variables, but am unable to save any. I enter even the most >> basic info... > > > Exact thing happened to me today when I started (tried) using smart > variables. > > -- > Mike > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "Foreman users" group. > To view this discussion on the web visit > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/foreman-users/-/t8EUJn5DU-gJ. > > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to > foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > For more options, visit this group at > http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en.

Excellent that worked.

Now that I can save smart variables, I think I may have misunderstood
their use. I thought this was how to pass parameterized classes and
their values to a node?

So a really simply example is my git module with git::web. In my
node.pp I would define this… and this works just fine.

class { 'git':
gitweb => true,
}

When I set the smart variable so that the fqdn=host , value=true, and
then I look at hte YAML output for this host I see it just has the
parameter provided "gitweb=true". But this never triggers the install
of gitweb. The module I used with the traditional parameterized is
here…

class git ( $gitweb=false ) {

package { 'git':
ensure => installed,
}

if $gitweb { include git::web }
}

Do modules have to be written to pull the variable value as if it were
defined in the "node" definition in node.pp?

Thanks

• Trey
··· On Jan 20, 12:15 pm, Ohad Levy wrote: > thats a silly bug, save the smart var with no additional matchers > first, then edit it again... > > sorry, > Ohad > > > > > > > > On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 2:13 AM, Mikael Fridh wrote: > > On Tuesday, January 3, 2012 6:07:26 PM UTC+1, treydock wrote: > > >> I'm moving towards paramaterized classes and am beginning to try out > >> smart variables, but am unable to save any. I enter even the most > >> basic info... > > > Exact thing happened to me today when I started (tried) using smart > > variables. > > > -- > > Mike > > > -- > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > > "Foreman users" group. > > To view this discussion on the web visit > >https://groups.google.com/d/msg/foreman-users/-/t8EUJn5DU-gJ. > > > To post to this group, send email to foreman-users@googlegroups.com. > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to > > foreman-users+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com. > > For more options, visit this group at > >http://groups.google.com/group/foreman-users?hl=en.

> Excellent that worked.

Yep! I ran into the same bug.

> Now that I can save smart variables, I think I may have misunderstood
> their use. I thought this was how to pass parameterized classes and
> their values to a node?

I just ran into the same thing. Puppet modules also don't seem to pick
up variables passed by foreman host parameters either. As far as I can
see, you have to rewrite all modules to be foreman specific; which I
do not think I want to do.

> So a really simply example is my git module with git::web. In my
> node.pp I would define this… and this works just fine.
>
> class { 'git':
> gitweb => true,
>
> }
>
> When I set the smart variable so that the fqdn=host , value=true, and
> then I look at hte YAML output for this host I see it just has the
> parameter provided "gitweb=true". But this never triggers the install
> of gitweb. The module I used with the traditional parameterized is
> here…
>
> class git ( $gitweb=false ) {
>
> package { 'git':
> ensure => installed,
> }
>
> if $gitweb { include git::web }
>
> }
>
> Do modules have to be written to pull the variable value as if it were
> defined in the "node" definition in node.pp?

I don't know much yet, as I have just started testing as well, but it
looks like modules have to be written differently than standard
puppet. I sure hope that's not the case.

Right now I am trying to set sshd_allowed_users variables per host,
and if I have to edit them all via smart variables attached to the
class, that is rather cumbersome.

··· On Jan 30, 11:21 am, treydock wrote:

One way I've worked through half of this issue, at least with defines,
is to pass a string in JSON format from Foreman to my module. I wrote
this module to turn JSON strings to a hash, https://github.com/treydock/puppet-string2hash.
In my modules I put an if statement to check for the existence of the
variable, then pass it through create_resources to my defines. This
doesn't solve the parameterized issue, but it's a small step.

The module would have (works only to pass hash to defines not classes)

class ssh {

if $sshd_allowed_users {
allowed_users = string2hash($sshd_allowed_users)
create_resources('ssh::allowed_users', $allowed_users)
}
}

Another "hack" would be to write your class like this…

class ssh::allowed_users (
users=false
) {

if $sshd_allowed_users { $users = $sshd_allowed_users }
}

It's not a full rewrite of your modules but checking for that variable
to override the parameterized variables.

• Trey
··· On Feb 7, 12:19 pm, Christian McHugh wrote: > On Jan 30, 11:21 am, treydock wrote: > > > Excellent that worked. > > Yep! I ran into the same bug. > > > Now that I can save smart variables, I think I may have misunderstood > > their use. I thought this was how to pass parameterized classes and > > their values to a node? > > I just ran into the same thing. Puppet modules also don't seem to pick > up variables passed by foreman host parameters either. As far as I can > see, you have to rewrite all modules to be foreman specific; which I > do not think I want to do. > > > > > > > > > > > So a really simply example is my git module with git::web. In my > > node.pp I would define this.. and this works just fine. > > > class { 'git': > > gitweb => true, > > > } > > > When I set the smart variable so that the fqdn=host , value=true, and > > then I look at hte YAML output for this host I see it just has the > > parameter provided "gitweb=true". But this never triggers the install > > of gitweb. The module I used with the traditional parameterized is > > here... > > > class git ( $gitweb=false ) { > > > package { 'git': > > ensure => installed, > > } > > > if $gitweb { include git::web } > > > } > > > Do modules have to be written to pull the variable value as if it were > > defined in the "node" definition in node.pp? > > I don't know much yet, as I have just started testing as well, but it > looks like modules have to be written differently than standard > puppet. I sure hope that's not the case. > > Right now I am trying to set sshd_allowed_users variables per host, > and if I have to edit them all via smart variables attached to the > class, that is rather cumbersome.